Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Novel Locus for Syringomyelia in Cavaliers has been identified.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by comfortcreature, May 31, 2010.

1. comfortcreature

comfortcreature PetForums VIP

It has been announced on Clare Rusbridge's (neurologist studying SM) website
    that:

1. there has been identification of a locus for syringomyelia (SM) associated
    with chiari-like malformation in the Cavalier.

2. there has been identification of a haplotype that infers protection against
    SM.

Looking about 2/3rds down the page, you can see a table showing five haplotypes.

1.TCGAACTTGG - 58.1% of Cavaliers in the study have.
    2.GTAGGACCAT - 27.2% of Cavaliers in the study have.
    3.TTAGGCTTGG - 6.0% of Cavaliers in the study have.
    4.GTAGGACCGT - 2.3% of the Cavaliers in the study have. (This is the protective
    one)
    5.GTAGGATTGG - 1.8% of Cavaliers in the study have.

Notice that the fourth haplotype (the protective one) looks to be a single mutation away from the second, which might have been, then, unintentionally selected for . . . . I'm thnking of possibly a 'Base-Pair Substitution Mutation' as described at the following link:

Chapter 2 - Canine Genetics Diversity Articles

I find the 2.3% figure worrying as well. I'd love to know what others think of the implications of this news.

This is a link to the announcement.

http://www.veterinary-neurologist.co.uk/syringomyelia/docs/sm research update may 2010.pdf

CC

#1 comfortcreature, May 31, 2010
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice