UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it's worm tablet day, Novak's least favourite day ever, he will do everything he can so as not to eat it.

I've tried putting it in his food, he digs it out, tried wrapping it in ham, hiding it in treats/fruit etc he always finds it and it gets dumped on the floor and I always have to resort to the shoving it down his throat method.

So today I decided to grate it over his food, obviously he could smell/taste it and spent 20 minutes nosing through his lamb mince and taking out everything that could possibly have been mistaken for a tablet, only to look confused when it was a chunk of meat/bone.

All the while looking at me as if to say 'I'm on to you, I'll find it'.

Baring in mind these are the worming tablets meant to be like treats and appealing to dogs.

What a crafty little sod!

Bailey? I wrapped it in ham, it was gone in seconds lol

So how does your dog like to avoid taking tablets?

G

·
I've got a tablet hater here too. She will pick it out if it's in her food :rolleyes: so what I usually do is get a big pile of cheese, cut the pill in half and hide each half in a bit of cheese, and then start feeding her bits of cheese, really quickly. Then I'll slip her the bit of cheese with the pill in and it'll go down before she even realises there's a pill in it :D

So it goes: cheese, cheese, cheese, cheese, cheese, cheese and pill, cheese, cheese, cheese, cheese, cheese and pill DONE!

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL

I tried that, it went cheese, cheese, cheese, cheese with pil.....chew for a second, spit out pill, finish cheese, look for more cheese lol.

They're little sods aren't they.

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
Haha bless him.

Alfie has had anti bis he really hates the taste of but most can be done in a sausage as he really loves them!!!

He has milbemax which he will just eat to

Hope Novak is doing well.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Scooter is tricky so sometimes I give him a couple of pill-free treats then sneak the tablet into the last one which he normally swallows whole. He got wise to it when he was last on a course of ABs so I ended up shoving them down his throat :rolleyes:

Breeze is easy, drop a tablet on the floor and she'll assume it's dropped people food so eats it without stopping to taste it!

I use worming paste or syrup which they don't mind if I give it to them with wet food or tuna.

·
Banned
19,820 Posts
I stuff pills inside a Frolic treat, give them that one and before they have had a chance to chew it properly and spit out the pill, I give them another one and they don't even notice :D

Chase I just ground his up with a bit of warm water and mixed it in with his food.

My old collie x boy had to have tablets daily, and I started off with smarties :eek: teaching him to catch and swallow them... he would eat his tablets like they were sweeties :lol:

The cats are a different matter :scared: they will NOT eat the granule wormer on their food and you get ripped to shreds sticking tablets down their throat so I have to grind it up, little warm water, little milk (just enough to fit in a little syringe) and then scruff them so their front feet are just off the ground and squirt. Then make them eat something tasty to make sure they don't cough it all back up (happened a few times, lol).

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Most of mine are easy to give pills to - all except Yogi. He hates taking any type of pill. I have tried the cheese, cheese, cheese, cheese + pill, cheese, cheese etc. Sometimes that is successful, sometimes not.

I have been known to cut up a raw sausage, pop the pill in, and flash fry it to "seal" it in, and then feed it in with his usual raw meal. Again, sometimes successful, sometimes not.

Good luck! ;)

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Oscar will take them wrapped in something and I then drop it to the back of his throat before he can taste it. He loves mornings now as he has to have his thyroid tablets so gets something tasty everyday.

Sam is a greedy bugger and will just eat them and always has since he had his first one at the vets. :)

·
Registered
13,034 Posts
Heidi is as good as gold. We do the cheese thing but it's usually cheese and pill stop!

Cats are a different matter. I can occasionally catch Tigger unawares but Rosie is a hardened expert. No choice but to pin her down and insert, hold head and wait for swallow. Even then I manage to find it stuck to a chair leg days later:prrr::prrr:

Nlovak has definitely got it sussed. I can imagine him trawling thro his food because he can smell the tablet. He's not going to be easily fooled;)

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He's a sod lol. He thought he had really figured it out lol. Sadly for him he didn't lol.

Oddly Bodie my cat has to have tablets every few days. It's no bother at all. Cradle him like a baby and put it in his mouth. Much easier than Novak.

Why can't they all be like Bailey!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.