Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Nothing works!!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Lucky87, May 22, 2018.

1. Lucky87

Lucky87 PetForums Newbie

Hey folks. I posted here not too long ago looking for advice on my male kitten. He bites and scratches me all the time and I got a lot of advice and feed back. However, nothing is working. I play with him all the time, half an hour 3 times a day, sometimes more. When he goes for me I give him a time out and put him out my livingroom for 10 minutes. I let him back in and he goes for me again. He has a tunnel to play in, a climbing frame, loads of wee toys and balls to play with. People kept telling me to buy him a kickaroo toy, he plays with it the odd time, but still goes for me even during his play time. It's gotten worse over the last few days.. I have been off work the last 2 weeks and went back yesterday,. I start at 9am and finish at 2.30pm. Could it be he needs extra attention? I have been paying a lot of attention of him since going back to work I don't know what else to do. He is getting neutered next week, will that make a difference? My hand and arm are ripped to shreds and I'm having to wear a bandage. Please help!

2. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

I’m not sure the time outs will be helping, he won’t understand this and it may just frustrate him. A child can figure out that if they get shut out like that then maybe what they did was naughty, but a kitten doesn’t really understand naughty. He needs to unlearn this instinctive desire, and frustration and keeping him from his ‘prey’ (you unfortunately) may make him obsess more.

I’d definitely try and armour up to deal with him whilst he is rambunctious and until he really starts to learn. As someone mentioned before if you have some padding it can help you to remain still whilst you are trying to tell him NO or making a pained noise. So, gloves and sleeves.

Lurcherlad, buffie and Lucky87 like this.
  3. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

Neutering is quite likely to help - once he's got rid of those "hormones" he should quieten down a bit, but there are no guarantees !It won't happen immediately and will take, maybe, a few weeks for any noticeable changes in his behaviour.

The idea with the kickeroo type toys is that when he goes for your hand/arm you insert the toy between his paws and extract your arm - mine never seemed to want to play with one if left to their own devices but if I substituted the toy for my arm he would then go for it 'hell for leather' :eek:

Lucky87 likes this.
  4. Lucky87

Lucky87 PetForums Newbie

I tried replacing my arm with the kickaroo toy he must comes back for more lol.

5. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

I’d just really try and persevere whilst armoured up. It unfortunately does take a few weeks for them to get the hang of things but he will.

We went through teaching Joey not to do exactly as you describe using the kickeroos etc. He still likes a playful nibble but he has learned what too much is.

We also had to teach him not to jump up the blinds....

Or not to jump up to get to our food...

And the worst for me was not to climb up my legs when I was in the kitchen. My thighs were COVERED in scratches.

It just takes a lot of patience and repetition. I would say each of those things took a matter of weeks. Even now he still eyes up the blinds and has an attempt but a quick word and he’s down again.

SbanR, Lucky87, buffie and 1 other person like this.
  6. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Agree totally with @SuboJvR cover your arms and grit your teeth,its painful but it will work.
    If you show any reaction to the unwanted behaviour, even squealing in pain, it will appear to your kitten that you are "joining in" ,
    Believe me I've been there T-shirt/video the lot and it does get better.
    My ragdoll Meeko was a thug as a kitten,in the end I had to get the help of a behaviourist who soon set me on the right path.
    8 years down the road my lad is a reasonably well balanced good natured chap although he does still sometimes slip back into "nippy mode" the difference now is that he doesn't follow through and draw blood.
    Taking time now to help him gently to understand what is/isn't acceptable behaviour is time well spent.

Lucky87 likes this.
  7. MistyKat

MistyKat PetForums Junior

Cats have no understanding of time outs, you will just frustrate him putting him out of the room as he will want back in to the area he is familiar with. If he bites or scratches you, move the kickeroo about the floor like a mouse so he pounces on it, once he rolls over give him his kickeroo by pushing it gently towards his chest, once he has grabbed it and bitten it give him lots of praise. Teach him what you want him to do, focus less on what you don't want. If you don't have a kickeroo to hand you need to move away from him immediately and go and find it, I had 3 scattered about the house of different sizes for my kittens.

What are you doing just before he bites and scratches you? The way you describe it, it sounds like every time he sees you he runs at you, bites and scratches you, you are trying to escape him and he is still coming at you. Does it happen when you are ignoring him by doing another activity? Does he do it while you are playing with him? Does he do it when you are stroking him or brushing him? Look at what you do to trigger this behaviour.

What and how often do you feed him? Kittens need feeding little and often, if he is hungry he may be more likely to behave in a predatory hunting manner.

Have you had kittens before? Is this behaviour different to other kittens you have lived with?

It sounds like normal kitten behaviour that will take time for him to grow out of, however, if you are reinforcing it it can become a habit, he may enjoy your squeals or if you push him away he may see it as a game and bounce back for more. Redirecting him really is the best way to deal with it and praise for doing the behaviour on the toy and not you. Also identifying what you are doing to escalate it will also help. E.g. If touching him for too long causes him to grab you, you can keep touching him to a short amount of time, then gradually build the time up giving him treats to create a positive association, touch him for 1 second give him a treat then 2 seconds give a treat etc if you go too long and he grabs or bites return to an amount of time he is comfortable with.

SuboJvR likes this.
  8. Pepperpots

Pepperpots PetForums Senior

Wishing you all the best of luck. Regarding the playing, my young cat and kitten would play together for hours. Not suggesting getting another cat as this could go badly wrong, but just to point out that they have tons of energy.

9. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

@Lucky87 sorry if you've already mentioned this but can I ask how old your kitten is? I'm asking because you mention he's getting neutered so I am going to assume he is 6 months old. At this age kittens are teething and they will bite anything they can get their mouths on, socks, wires, curtains, bare flesh (people expect puppies to chew but kittens do too!). They will bite really hard at this time and males in particular are probably the worst! If you can try to check his mouth, especially the back teeth. Do the gums look sore? Are any of the teeth wobbly or missing? These are all signs that he is still teething. It will get better but unfortunately it is something that has to be gone through. Offering toys that provide chewing opportunities (small dog toys are good) will help. Oddly McDonalds straws are much appreciated at this time.

10. Lucky87

Lucky87 PetForums Newbie

He is 4 months old. He definely is teething, I have toys for that thankfully

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice