Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Not touching wet food

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by messyhearts, May 17, 2010.

1. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

Neither of my cats are touching their wet food any more. We've always changed it regularly (disliked them being dependent on one & getting upset tummies so always kept changing wet & dry) & as of this past month neither cat will touch wet food. It's uncanny. Okay, I say won't touch. My Maine Coon will nibble it at first then ignore it & my Birman completely ignores it. I did reduce it slightly as I was worried my Birman was getting tubby. Both are eating the dry food as normal & are still nibbling at my dog's dry food too (cannot stop them doing this).

I'm not sure whether or not to give in. I am wasting money & food putting it out for it to go stale. I've got a kitten coming in two month's time who I would like to give a good diet so will feed her my wet & dry combination but these two aren't having it. :confused: My husband thinks it is because I have been using Simple, Nature's Menu and Hi Life instead of Applaws (cannot afford that currently so not an option) but they never had issues with these foods before.

2. tylow

tylow PetForums VIP

They can be so fickle with their food. Ours go through so many phases its hard to keep up. The one thing i have discovered is anything thats good for them they don't like! Good luck on your quest :)

3. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Yup, cats can be such fickle creatures.

Do you think they don't touch the wet because there is enough dry around to fill them up? As they seem to seek out the dry, I think the only way you are going to get them to eat some wet will be to drastically reduce the amount of dry that you leave out (not sure how easy that will be considering that there are also dog biscuits that they enjoy eating).

Instead of free feeding them, you could see whether set meal times, where you can feed only wet, will get them to eat more of it?

I personally would only feed Applaws tins as a treat - not only are they really expensive but their phosphorus content is really high.

Here is a list of high quality wet foods that you could try - but from what you are saying I have a hunch you have already tried most of them:

- Bozita - 93% meat content in their tetrapacks and available to order online from seapets, e and r, and zooplus. (about 4% fat). Bozita also do a tinned version, which is a pate that has 97% meat and 5% fat
    - Purely has got a meat content of 50% I believe and is available from Pets at home. About 2% fat
    - Natures Menu has a 70% meat content, and is available from Pets at home too as well as other places. About 6% fat
    - Feline Fayre is often fed by people here - the black pouches are complete- available in Asda, Morrisons etc (about 2% fat)
    - HiLife - also has a good meat content - varies from 45% to 70% depending on type. About 2% fat
    - Tesco also do a wet food that has a high meat content - I believe it is called Tesco Luxury
    - Porta 21 - tends to be whole meat tuna (46%) and the rest broth; very low fat 0.5%; available from zooplus. Porta is a bit like complementary food in terms of its texture but it is a complete food. Just low on fat. You could add some goose fat to fatten it up a bit.

If your cat eats pate, then you could try these:
    - Pet's Kitchen (Joe & Jills) - 90% meat content, about 8 - 10% fat - available from them directly - Pets Kitchen - Experts in natural pet food, developed by Joe Inglis TV Vet
    - Lily's Kitchen - 65% organic meat; 5.5% fat - available from them directly: Lily's Kitchen • Organic Dog Food, Organic Cat Food • Natural Complete Pet Food • Certified Holistic, Ethically produced • Natural dog food, Grain free cat food.
    -Grau - 89% meat content and 4% wholegrain rice; 5.5% fat - available from zooplus
    - Herrmanns - 97% organic meat, about 4-6% fat - available at zooplus but pricey but only need 1 pouch per day
    - Ziwi Peak - new to the UK market; 62% meat content and 6-10% fat - available from the bern per food website - based on the raw feeding principle: http://www.bernpetfoods.co.uk/acatal...t_Cuisine.html

#3 hobbs2004, May 17, 2010
    Last edited: May 17, 2010
  4. The Twins

The Twins PetForums Senior

I agree with hobbs - maybe stop free feeding the dry and also if you've reduced their food because of potential tubbiness, i'd reduce the dry not the wet - dry is a significant causal of weight gain...

You could try putting something tempting on the wet - fish liquor always works for mine (if i cook some coley in the microwave i tip the juices over their food...).

5. lillylove

lillylove PetForums Member

My kitten was initially a nightmare and didn't eat, but would pick at dry food.

I reduced the dry food and also mixed it with the wet. I have also been through so many brands in such a short space of time, but have found one she likes. Hi-life in the tin that is the complimentary, and I mix that with normal hi-life wet food. This seems to work for her, but in small amounts.

I also didn't feed her until she asked me to. I wasn't intentionally starving her but I realised that I was constantly leaving food out so it wasn't interesting and she didn't really realise when she was hungry.

6. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

My Mai tai went through a phase of not eating wet food (I use Natures menu and Hi-Life) a few weeks ago. I managed to tempt her back with Applaws but have discovered that she likes Feline Fayre too which is a lot cheaper.

7. Janee

Janee PetForums VIP

Try feeding at set times. I do this with my MCs. Between 5.30 and 6.30 in the mornings and 5.00-6.00 in evenings.

No dry down. But I do leave the wet down. When it is gone, it is gone!

(I do have dry for emergencies but those are infrequent - I also feed raw chunks about 2-3 times a week but 1 cat won't partake at all).

TBH I think I am fairly lucky in that they all accept a mix each feed time of various flavours of raw mince, Bozita and Classic.

8. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

We have a policy of topping up dry as & when so they can feed themselves. It's always worked fine as they would wait patiently & run to greet me for food but don't do this any more for the food just to say hello. I was thinking it was because my boy was a bit dim as he'd be excited to see me, I'd feed him & he'd forget about food to say hello to me lots.

I know all about the quality foods, they just aren't interested...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice