Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Not the best walk!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by McKenzie, Apr 25, 2017.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I've always felt lucky that generally the dogs around here are well trained and owners are responsible, but unfortunately we didn't have a good experience this morning.

We had only started our walk, both McKenzie and Elliot off lead, pottering along, when a JR-type (only slightly smaller than Elliot) came running up to us. I let the dogs meet but the owner was miles back which made me uneasy so I hurried my two along. The JR then turned around and followed us, sticking very close to Elliot.

The sun was in my eyes but I could see a man with large dog approaching, so I assumed he was the owner of the JR too. It wasn't until they were close that I could see the dog with the man was on lead and muzzled by which time it was too late - the dog had clocked Elliot and was snarling and thrashing on the lead. We had been walking down a path a little wider than a normal pavement and the man had made no effort to take a wide berth despite there being plenty of room to the sides, whereas if I had not had the sun in my eyes and had seen the lead and muzzle, I would certainly have pulled my dogs to the side to let him pass.

The muzzled dog's snarling seemed to set the JR off, who also started snarling at Elliot and snapping at him. I grabbed Elliot's collar in an attempt to pull him away but the JR kept coming for him. I yelled out for someone to get rid of the dog because I could see two other people approaching, upon which the man with the thrashing muzzled dog came closer and tried to get the JR! Finally a woman (who was holding a long line not attached to a dog!) grabbed the JR and I was able to drag Elliot away and I hoisted him into my arms (not easy at 15kg).

At this point another man sauntered up to me (I can only assume he was the trainer) and thanked me for my understanding!!! I was in survival mode so all I could get out was something about 'this isn't the best place to do that', but later when I got my frontal cortex back I had a whole spiel I wanted to give him, especially that I didn't appreciate being used in his training exercise!

Thankfully through all this McKenzie had kept right out of the way. I think she could tell the dogs meant business because she's usually that terrier in the middle of everything, being the fun police. Elliot didn't seem too shaken, and he trotted on as usual. At no point did he attempt to fight back at the JR, or have a go at the muzzled dog. I was a mess though!

As soon as we got home though, Elliot went and lay down quietly so I think it took it out of him. I need to check him over to just make sure he didn't get caught by a tooth or anything. Not a great start to the day!

2. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Aww bless you, that doesn't sound like fun. It always worries me when a dog appears with no owner in site. Sounds like they need a long line for their training exercise!

3. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

That sounds like a crappy interaction :( It sounds like Elliot and McKenzie handled the whole thing like superstars, but it might be worth having a chilled evening to let him decompress. A nap soothes many things :)

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

The whole thing begs a lot of questions about this 'trainer'!

Luckily chilling is what we do best in this house :D

Sairy and Kimmikins like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice