Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Not sure whether to have Badger Castrated?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by the melster, Jan 7, 2012.

1. the melster

the melster PetForums Senior

He will be 18 months when/if I get him done. He has no problems other than being a bit of a blue smartie head. He doesn't hump, isn't aggressive, isn't sexual but he looks just like a young labrador puppy and with more and more dogs being stolen I am worried that if he is still in tact he might be stolen. We also do flyball and he is around 100's of dogs at the weekend and as he is a crossbreed I would hate for him to create pups being a crossbreed.

Can you give me your pro's and con's for male castration. I've read on the web but would prefer personal reasons.

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

If he's going to be stolen, he'll be stolen whether he is entire or not I'm afraid - not many thieves would lift his tail to see if he still has his bits before deciding whether to swipe him or not!

I personally would never neuter a male dog unless I had VERY good reason to - my dogs don't have access to in-season bitches, they don't hump nor urinate inappropriately, they have perfect recall, we don’t have any neighbours so no local bitches who may come into season and rile them, and are rarely around other dogs that they have to get on with - so I do not see any reason to put them through an operation just for the sake of it.

I also believe that it is far more beneficial to a dogs health to keep them entire - the pros outweigh the cons for me.

I keep a group of all boys - three rescues who were neutered before they came to me, and two who are entire - and there is rarely a cross word between them, they all get on fine.

Although – I don’t know much about the setup or going ons of flyball competitions, but if there are likely to be bitches in season there (although I wouldn’t have thought there would be) then you might want to consider it in a bit more depth – not so much the risk of mating, but more because he probably wouldn’t listen to a word you have to say, and dart off if he caught scent of a nearby bitch in season!

3. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Dogs are stolen irrespective of being castrated or not.

Do you think your dog is at special risk of being stolen for some reason?

My entire dog is around hundreds of dogs every week, but as he is fully under control I am struggling to understand why you think your dog will randomly impregnate a bitch.

Are bitches in season permitted to be at flyball events?

I have had 3 males, two have been castrated, one because it was cryptorchid, another at 3 due to behavioural issues and one who at 7 is entire and has managed thus far not to be stolen or create any puppies.

4. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

can I ask what this means please? :)

5. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

think it's when one or both testicles don't descend

6. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

retained testicles

in this dog's case he was a billateral cryptorchid.

7. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

8. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

All my dogs have been entire males, I haven't had any problems with them so for me it isn't necessary.

None of my dogs have been responsible for litters either wanted or unwanted.

As Badger's owner this is a decision you have to make, there are a lot of reasons for and against having a dog castrated.

9. kate_7590

kate_7590 PetForums VIP

It is a very personal decision and is up to the owner, if there is no behavioural or medical reason to neuter then you don't need to...but personally I'm in the 'if you're not gonna use them, then loose them' club ;)

10. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

I personally feel that the health benefits of keeping them entire out weigh those of neutering, so my lad won't be getting done ;)

11. toast

toast PetForums Newbie

i had my dog done because he is a working dog and i was afraid of him being aggressive when he matured. If your dog is not aggressive a then why put him through it! - saying that the vet also gives u a lecture about it being good for medical reasons:scared: confusing eh! if i was u and had a good dog then i wouldnt do it.

12. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I had mine done because of living in a multi dog household, however I have never had previous males done and they were all fine, no aggression, no scent marking in the house and no humping other dogs. As Mals can be same sex aggressive and I had one accident resulting in a litter :rolleyes: (not MY fault) I decided not to take the chance with lots of hormones rushing around the place.

Both are fine i'd say but if "it anit broke don't fix it", so why have it done? ;)

13. the melster

the melster PetForums Senior

Thanks for your replies. I have taken on the advice and am going to leave it a bit longer and then decide.

14. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

If it helps i'm not getting Tummel done.

Pro's - can't breed, can prevent prostate/testicular issues, can help some behavioural issues.

Cons - Increases the chances of several very severe cancers occuring including osteosarcoma(bone cancer), can damage joints, can cause nervous aggression, doesn't always stop unwanted behaviours.

With Tummel being a large mixed breed the risk of him getting something like osteosarcoma is a huge worry to me, Tummel doesn't hump, pee inside, chase after in season bitches, attack other dogs etc etc.

At the end of the day my biggest and best reason for keeping him entire is "why should i put him through an unecessary operation when he's perfect the way he is???" I will never neuter any future dogs unless they have a medical or serious behavioural issue. All bitches will be spayed as they have a much higher chance of getting something horrible like a pyometra, the only reason Tummel has a chance of getting testicular cancer is because he has testicles...same problem all males have but i'm not neutering my OH either :blush:

15. hyper Springer

hyper Springer PetForums Senior

Mines not lost his plums.....ive thought about it\been pesterd by the vet:rolleyes: but hes not a humper and pretty well behaved for a springer

Im led to believe theres less chance of certain cancers if there intact although a slightly higher risk of testicular cancer that can if what ive read is correct be swiftly cured by whipping the love spuds off anyway...

If its not broke...etc...

16. toffee44

toffee44 PetForums VIP

Mine have just been done. Too many entire girls round here. Last summer I caught my 15yr lab half way through the hedge trying to get next door to a bitch. It's not worth the risk in my book if you have other dogs nr by.

17. Snippet

Snippet PetForums VIP

IMO, if they're not going to be bred from then they don't need them. I can imagine it's frustrating for a dog to be entire and not be used as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice