Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Not sure what to do....

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by amylou8, Aug 19, 2009.

1. amylou8

amylou8 PetForums Member

We are going away for 5 days in September and I was going to get a cat sitter in twice a day to feed the cats etc I have e mailed 5 and they are all fully booked which means my only option is to put them in a cattery as I can't find any more pet sitting services!

I really didn't want to do this as Mazie has just started gaining confidence and Mickey loves being out in the garden.

Does anybody else put their cats in catteries? How do you find it?

I am feeling terrible as I really wanted them to stay at home!

2. MADCAT

MADCAT PetForums VIP

Have you got a family member or a neighbour that could pop round to them?

I have never used a cattery my sister as though as she as never had any problems. xxx

3. marmie

marmie PetForums Newbie

One of our cats used to hate strangers and we always had a family member pop by every day to make sure she was ok and to feed her etc - she was a lot happier being at home when we were away.

We tried her at the cattery a few times, but she hated it. When she came home she used to wake up in the middle of the night crying for a few nights after coming home :(

But it depends on the cat's personality.

My parent's cat however used to always be nervous around new people but he's been doing great at the cattery whenever my parents are away!

You never know how they'll get on

4. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I've always used catteries and all the various cats have been fine - a lot of catteries will spend a great deal of time with the cats - far more than a neighbour would popping in just to feed them.

5. amylou8

amylou8 PetForums Member

Unfortuately we are new to our area so don't really know any of our neighbours, my family lives 2 hours away and my OH family is 40 mins away so a bit much to ask them to come twice a day!!

I am worried about Mazie being in a cattery as I do think it will affect her, at home she has her hiding places so even if a stranger is feeding her she can feel safe that she can just run and hide.

I have found a few more pet sitters to try so fingers crossed that one of those can do it.

6. amylou8

amylou8 PetForums Member

Juts thought I would let you know I have found a pet sitter and it is all booked and confirmed, panic over!! :)

7. aella851

aella851 PetForums Junior

could you go and view a few catteries and see what you think of their facitlites and layouts at all??

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice