UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing this quickly coz it'll soon be home time.....

Today, the Princess has shared her upstairs space with both Abby & Oscar. :thumbup:

Oscar was getting p!ssed off at not being allowed on the bed now for almost a week. So, I bit the bullet and decided to let him up. I then carried Moo in from her room to see him. She did her usual growl and hiss - he took a couple of steps in a backward direction then turned his back on her and lay down. He was completely non-aggressive. Moo went back to her room and back to her pad under the bed. OH informs me that Abby & Oscar have slept on one bed most of the day and Moo has slept on her pad in the other room. All doors have been open all day. Moo has come out of her room and wandered into OH in the study or lain down on the landing. She seems pretty chilled despite the other 2 being up there. They are not bothering with her.

But I now have a dilemma. OH should have been off work till Friday & the above scenario would have conitued all week. However, his work have asked him to go in tomorrow & Thursday so he won't be around to officiate if required.

So now I don't know whether to leave the above threesome upstairs on their own all day tomorrow or to split them up again...... :confused: I think we have made good progress and I can't see there being any problems. OH is being a worry-wart and thinks it is too soon. Bearing in mind that this is Abby & Moo's second day together I honestly think it will be fine. There is a litter tray up there which I can move onto the landing so Moo doesn't feel her room is being invaded. I'm worried that by splitting them all up again it will undo the progress we have achieved till now.

Would all you lovely experts on these things please tell me what you would do or recommend. I'm totally not sure at all...............

Many thanks

xxx

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
Personally MB I would be inclined to err on the side of caution, and not leave all three of them together upstairs as Oscar has so recently been introduced to Moo.

I daresay they would be OK, but my concern would be that if there was a bit of an "incident" (even a minor one) that without you or your OH there to intervene and reassure Moo it could be very damaging to her self confidence, bearing in mind her history with CCC's boys.

I don't think by separating Oscar from Moo for a few days you will be undoing the good work you have done so far with intro's. If Oscar is going to be fed-up at not being allowed on the bed, maybe you could shut Moo into her safe room when you & OH are out of the house atm, so your other cats can access the upstairs. I am sure Moo won't mind being a bit restricted for a few days, as she is still settling in anyway.

Just my thoughts -- others may disagree:)

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Agree with the others here hun, better to be too slow than too fast :p

Can let them mingle when your home at night then shut them away when you go to work it wont undo anything as their scents are still all over the place and they still know eachother is there so wont undo any progress x

·
Registered
509 Posts
Reading your updates has made me realise how absolutely awful I was when introducing Sia to Max! I had no idea you had to be so cautious!

SO I'm in no position to offer advice - I just wanted to comment what a wonderful mum and dad you are to your fluffies xx

·
Slave to the Hairy Hikers
12,358 Posts
With any other cat, I'd say let them stay together, but with Moo's background, even a slight tiff could result in her getting stressed again, so better not take the risk.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I would keep them apart. I don't think a couple of days apart will be a step back. You're in this for the long haul- I doubt this will make any difference in the long run- but a hissy fit when you're not there might... :)

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I would always be on the safe side.
I have done a few introductions and have always split them up if we have both been away from the house for a few hours.
Better to be safe than sorry.
After all, they all could be sleeping while you are both out and not noticed that they have been split up;)
They will have the evenings with you won't they?

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
I have no idea. Totally clueless.

Is there a thread here on introductions which could be made sticky? My search function won't work on iPhone. Like a step by step guide?
I know each situation is different and I don't mean for Moggybaby, I mean for total beginners to introducing cats.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Even though our boys got on so well we went on the side of caution. I'd allow them access together when you're in but separate when you're out. You'd never forgive yourself if it got out of hand when you were both out.

·
Registered
23,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks folks, I know you'd come to the rescue and I shall bow to your greater knowledge and recommendations. :yesnod:

I will keep them apart and allow Moo to roam the upstairs on her own & keep the others downstairs. I absolutely don't want to confine her back to just one room again - she's come on far too well with her 'exploring' and it is helping her confidence by having the extra space. She can be found lying stretched out on the landing on a regular basis now. :D

The rest of the Posse will have to make do with the three rooms downstairs. :)

Just to add, the three of them have had unsupervised time together as OH had to go out today and all was well. However, the length of time together is a bit more than I am sure about for now.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Hi MB :) i would agree with all the comments made so far although don't want to seem as if i'm interfering of course :eek:

I think Moo may be braver just knowing someone is there to come to her rescue if need be :) It'd be a shame for her to have a set back after doing so well :)

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I am so happy that I am obviously so knowledgeable and intelligent that everyone agreed with my own gut instinct without me even writing it. :biggrin:
softly, softly catchee monkey and all that!

·
Registered
23,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'd not split Abby up from Moo though as she's been fine with her so far. Your big boy yep, but there's no sense in depriving her of all company, is there?
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............... I have let Moo have the upstairs to herself today.

I might let Abby up there tomorrow. I'll see how Moo is when I get home.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that Abby has been company for Moo. OH told me last night that Moo hissed at Abbs when she went into her room yesterday which made Abby turn tail and scarper straight back out again. :eek: At least Moo is sticking up for herself but I don't want her getting too territorial either...... :eek: :rolleyes: :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.