Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Not sure if right forum but!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by popcornsmum, Oct 10, 2020.

1. popcornsmum

popcornsmum Popcorn relaxing!

We are *thinking* of getting a dog. Our son loves animals so much, wants to be a vet and is so desperate to love Popcorn but sadly Popcorn is just not a peoples cat! So he really wants a dog. Weve both had dogs in the past but big dogs (German shepherd, staffy mix and Lab) but obviously we now have Popcorn! We know Popcorn doesnt like dogs barking so we may not even go ahead because obviously she rules this household however we were tentatively thinking is there a smallish dog which is chilled, likes cats and doesnt bark alot even out there!?! o_O Those of you with cats and dogs how do they get on???

2. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

I think ALL little dogs are yappy. Happy to be corrected on that

cheekyscrip likes this.
  3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

TBH if I was thinking of having a dog with Meeko , or any cat for that matter, I would go with bigger rather than small.
    I suppose I'm a bit biased as I have always had big dogs but having been around dogs in a showing/breeding environment I have found small dogs to be less reliable and more inclined to chase and bark than big dogs .

4. ebonycat

ebonycat PetForums VIP

I’ve got a small/ medium mutt dog (terrier mixed breed/ Heinz 57), she’s not very barky, only barks at the postman, she gets on great with both cats (Ebony rules this house, Lady bows down to her). They don’t cuddle up together but they do get on great & Alfie loves Lady. She’s never snapped at them, or chased them.
    But outside cats are a different matter.
    The only kids she sees are outside ones but any that come up to her shes ok with but she doesn’t like screaming kids.
    Emma @ewelsh has dogs with Lottie & Libby.
    I haven’t got any pictures of Lady dog with Ebony & Alfie but here’s Lady.
    Oh & what people say about terriers & rodents don’t mix I agree with 99% of the time but I have 11 fancy rats & Lady absolutely adores them.

AB186F76-59FC-4A75-9945-8678EDA1EAFF.jpeg

cheekyscrip, Arny, Joy84 and 5 others like this.
  5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

095.jpg My last dog Ludo and Buffey ( RIP) best friends and play buddies . If anyone ruled it wasn't Ludo

#5 buffie, Oct 10, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    Arny, Ali71, Joy84 and 5 others like this.
  6. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Indeed I do have a multi dog and cat home, always have, always will, I love the friendships they build over the years. I must laugh at least 10 times a day at the way they share the house together.

Lucy and Lottie are best friends, only because Lottie is able to duff Lucy up and hang off her ears:rolleyes:

09B28C74-ABD5-4969-97D6-1EA627D0526D.jpeg

Loulou loved my Labrador the most because she found her the calmest.
    Libby loves them all but finds Phoebe aka Duracell Verucca Salt, a damn nuisance on times, one swipe normally solves everything.

here are my other 3
    B455B5F5-36B8-47B5-907B-5E7D2D755410.jpeg

If I had to choose which one of my girls is the best with the cats, it would have to be Lucy the English Springer Spaniel. Spaniels are so gentle and loving, quiet BUT they can have high energy, there is no point thinking you can walk off the energy or you would be outside morning till night, you have to mentally tired them out.

So if I were you, I would go down the Spaniel route! They don’t really molt, LOVE children, gentle puppies, YOUR son could train the dog to be calm and quiet around the cat! Popcorn will be fine around a Spainel. 100%

cheekyscrip, Arny, Ali71 and 7 others like this.
  7. popcornsmum

Omg wow Ludo is like no dog I've ever seen how amazing is Ludos fur!!!

buffie likes this.
  8. popcornsmum

Funnily enough I was looking a pics of Spaniels just now as the child got to take 2 spaniels for a walk and play on sun and absolutely loved them and they were all running around crazily together! Lol
    Awww I love your pics of them all!

9. popcornsmum

Aww such a cute face! I do love terrier mixes! my neighbour had one of these little dogs but it barked constantly! Lol so I was a bit put off! But they're all different!

ebonycat likes this.
  10. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

I would decide and research what you'd like in a dog first.
    If getting a puppy most can learn to be around cats (you could also find a breeder whose dogs are brought up with cats).

I've had a staffy x and now a shar pei around my cats, both were from rescue and adults. I wouldn't recommend shar pei as a breed personally, many health issues I wasn't prepared for but she has a lovely nature.
    IMG_1456.JPG

cheekyscrip, Ali71, Joy84 and 6 others like this.
  11. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

Be corrected, all I can say is you haven't met many that have been polite, if that's your view
    Falcor, Chinese crested, not very barky (door knocker is all) loves people and cats, and a sucker for a cuddle
    now I know I'm talking about MY Chinese crested, but most are real love monkeys and are not the barkiest of dogs, IF, like all dogs, trained correctly.
    Cats? Well again, that's like all dogs, get a young one, and, cat will teach them manners, alongside you putting training in
    We also, until recently, had a staffxborder terrier, and he adored the cats, in his previous home, would wash their ears for them, give up his bed, those cats ruled his roost completely
    Any dog can be trained to at least live alongside the house cat, in parallel, if not be adoring to it. Yes they may still chase/bark at non household cats, but that's a 'sod off' thing, patience, positive training, not overreacting and knowing both animals are the keys to a harmonious relationship
    A puppy wont die from a swipe to the nose, just don't expect any cat to defer to the pup

12. DolomiTTe

DolomiTTe Kitty Collector

Although I no longer have a dog, I've always had German Shepherds alongside my cats. As you will probably already know, they aren't a barky breed, mine only barked when someone knocked on the front door. They are gentle giants too, one of mine used to let the cat steal out of his dish, while he was eating out of it himself! The cats have always been the boss, and the dogs knew it.

ebonycat and popcornsmum like this.
  13. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

I have had numerous dogs down the years of a variety of breeds and sizes. I've had German Shepherds, Labs, Collies and currently a Terrier. All of these learned to respect the household cats, but woe betide any others!! Beware of preconceived ideas you have about large or small dogs because what one dog does, another of the same type won't.

Cats and dogs can live together very successfully but as with everything pet related, the buck stops with you ... the owner. Your willingness to train the dog will be the biggest factor to success. You need to decide whether you are going to get a pedigree puppy or a rescue dog. A pedigree puppy does at least give you the chance to chose a breed who will fit in with your lifestyle and of course you can start to train it from the minute it arrives. A rescue can be successfully introduced to a cat home (I've done this for all of mine as 6 months old was the closest I got to having a puppy, but most were considerably older!) but will take longer to sort out because you will have the job of detraining and then retraining, as rescues tend to come with baggage.

cheekyscrip, ebonycat and popcornsmum like this.
  14. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

I probably did everything wrong with Honey dog. She was about 3 years old, a rescue dog, and had the sweetest nature. She’d had a bad start to life, was frightened of everything but was so good with the cats, basically ignored them. Unfortunately the cats (then only 4 of them) never liked having a dog. After a year I got Matty as a kitten and it helped because he was not frightened and that showed the other cats not to be frightened anymore. They never really relaxed though and even the next lot of cats were happier when she passed away. A real shame. It’s put me off having another dog as I don’t think it would be fair on the cats.

popcornsmum likes this.
  15. Vanessa131

Vanessa131 PetForums VIP

I have both, Barney is a toy poodle (not a cross breed), Bronn has known Barney since he was a 12 week old kitten, so they have always got on.

When we got Barney we had an adult cat called Aisha who was five, Aisha was an extremely confident cat who took to Barney quite well. Barney was a tiny, fairly timid toy poodle puppy and Aisha was more than willing to show him who was boss. This wasn’t a fear response from Aisha, cats who have previously shown fear aggression, stress, anxiety etc tend not to get on well with dogs and their unpredictable behaviour.

At the start of lockdown we ended up with an unplanned foster dog, despite Bronn always living with a dog and not being scared by them etc on walks he did not at all cope with Bowser in the house. We had hoped Bowser would become a permanent fixture, but that sadly wasn’t the case due to Bronn not liking him so Bowsers forever home wasn’t with us.

One thing you have to plan for is the dog and cat not getting on, what will you then do with the dog? Your son may want to be a vet, but part of that is recognising that the animals needs come first, not the owners. I was gutted that Bowser couldn’t stay, but my feelings weren’t part of the decision because the animals welfare is the most important thing.

Attached Files:

ewelsh, cheekyscrip and Joy84 like this.
  16. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Penny is not :)
    She will alert bark, but she doesn't do the yap yap yap that is often associated with little dogs. And she is quickly learning to hush when we tell her it's okay.

As to the original question, I have cats and dogs. It took some work to teach the dogs not to hurt the cats and I never have them alone unsupervised, they each have their own areas. But in general they get along well. They're not best of friends, but they do fine together.

ewelsh likes this.
  17. Vanessa131

Vanessa131 PetForums VIP

Barney is a little dog, toy poodle so the size of your average moggy. As a pup he occasionally barked at someone knocking on the door or going past a window. Apart from barking when playing with another dog he hasn’t barked for years.

Dogs who bark a lot have been poorly trained.

18. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Unfortunately there are a lot of those out there.
    I get the association, a lot of dog breeds are barky, and little dogs can have that high pitch that can really grate on your nerves. It's not always poor training, sometimes it's stress or has become a habit, and honestly I think some owners think it's funny/cute. :rolleyes:

And sometimes the owners really have tried their best to control the barking, it's just out of their scope of capabilities. Just as some dogs are easier to teach a recall, some are easier to teach a quiet.
    I'm not saying you can't teach a quiet, or shouldn't try (yogurt cup muzzle is one of my favorite tricks) but not everyone is as dedicated or knowledgeable in training as those who frequent pet forums tend to be :)

popcornsmum likes this.
  19. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

One thing is sure that cats prefer calm dogs no matter what size and dogs that are calm accept cats quite easily.
    Scrip barks if someone is at the door or now and then but has a healthy respect for Garfield, who is a gentle , chilled puss.
    Plays odd trick on poor dog but with no malice...

For a friend of mine it took years though till her cat accepted her dog... I think till her dog matured and become calmer and left the cat alone..

popcornsmum likes this.
  20. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice