UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family and I have been putting off getting our GSD PTS for the past year. She has severe hip dysplacia among other things. My estranged mother picked her and even though my dad realised this was a shady puppy farm type setup she was determined to leave with a puppy, but when she set up home with her new man she left Tia with us because 'she wasn't allowed dogs in her rented home'.
Last November was the start of the worst. She had been hobbly, springy on her back legs and general unstable but had her good days and bad. One night she started yelping in pain and we soon realised she had dislocated her leg.. this was the most unpleasant experience I've ever came across with a her in all her days.
The vet prescribed Loxicom(?) and advised that Tramadol would be the next step to relieve any pain before the inevitable.
During the summer my boyfriend got a Patterjack puppy and Tia was a changed dog ! Bounding around and acting like a big baby girl again ! Still, good days and bad. I now have a Border Terrier puppy aswell who Tia hasn't taken to so much.
Tomorrow is Tia's last day with us.. the appointment has been made and I don't know what I'm going to be like. Im pretty prepared for what's going to happen but I feel extremely guilty that once Tia is gone I'm going straight to pick up the two puppies.
When your older dog passes away, what are you like going home to the rest of the animal family ?
I've got this feeling that I'll see the pups little face's and totally loose my composure !!

·
Registered
8,287 Posts
Hello and welcome.

What you do for Tia tomorrow, you are doing out of love for her, if nothing else can be done to keep her from extreme pain.

At our vets, you can stay and hold your pet if you want, as they are PTS, or they will take them out the back if you find this too upsetting. We always stay with ours. It has always been very peaceful - we hold, the vet injects, and all you feel is your pet totally relaxing in your arms. And that is that, barring the vet checking that the heart has indeed stopped. We are then given as much time as we want to say a final goodbye, and no one expects you to pay on the day. We mostly have bunnies, who we bury at home, but we did have the cat cremated, and had to go back a week later for the ashes. Our vet also follows upo with a letter of condolence.

No one knows how they are going to react at the vets - and the vets will have seen all types of reactions. If you manage to hold on until you get home, I think you are right - it will all come out when you see the pups. That's OK. There will be an empty space that no one but Tia can fill, but the puppies will be a great comfort to you. Make sure you take some photos to remember her by.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your lovely reply .. if anything it's when people are nice that I tend to fall apart ! :)
We had a GSD before who also succumbed to HD but I was very young. I remember my dad coming home one day in his work lorry to take her away and I fell to pieces into my toasted cheese.
I've had to make the decision before with my cat Smokey who had liver failure and there was really nothing else they could do, it was a there and then PTS, no thinking about, no going home for a few days to let her go naturally, it was the best thing for her. Unfortunatly I was a mess so couldn't stay with her when she got the injection but I did have some time for cuddles first.
I plan on staying with Tia, she doesn't have a soft spot for our vet at all so its probably the most stressfree way for her to go.
We've got lot's of photo's and video snippits to remember her by, plus a few holes in the wall to remember her by :)

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Poor Tia, a sad day but for the best. Having two pups will be a good distraction, they won't replace Tia but will help fill the hole she leaves in your life xx

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I honestly don't think there is another dog in the world like Tia lol. She is such a ditz !!
She's always just plodded along in the world, never been an overly bad dog or destructive ... just a big softie :)
In the summer we would have a fire pit in the garden for toasting marshmallows and keeping us warm in the chilly Scottish summer weather and no matter how much we tried, Tia would be chasing the embers and trying with all her might to set herself on fire.
LOVED the garden hose, I've never seen a dog react to seeing one this way. She would jump about like crazy and whine constantly until she got a good soaking!! Also went that way when you tried to fill up buckets in the sink :)
Thanks delca1 :)

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
I stood by your bed last night, I came to have a peep.
I could see that you were crying. You found it hard to sleep.

I whined to you softly as you brushed away a tear,
"It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."

I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea,
You were thinking of the many times your hands reached down to me.

I was with you at the shops today. Your arms were getting sore.
I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today, You tend it with such care.
I want to re-assure you, that I'm not lying there.

I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key.
I gently put my paw on you, I smiled and said "It's me."

You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair.
I tried so hard to let you know, that I was standing there.

It's possible for me to be so near you everyday.
To say to you with certainty, "I never went away."

You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew...
in the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.

The day is over... I smile and watch you yawning
and say "Good-night, God bless, I'll see you in the morning."

And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
I'll rush across to greet you and we'll stand, side by side.

I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see.
Be patient, live your journey out... then come home to be with me.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I will be thinking of you tomorrow. This is one of the worse things about having a pet.
Making that decision:(
Because we love them so much we know we have to do it.
How you will react tomorrow does not matter. Breaking down whether it be with the vet, friends or family will not matter.
When I had to have Yazmin my cat pts in January I was in such a state from crying as I had also just had my other cat pts to sleep the previous night:cryin:
My vet was wonderful and told me I could pay when I was ready. They also sorted out all the cremation arrangements for me as well.
I am sure like my Yazmin, Tia will go to sleep very quick while in your arms.
Your puppies will help you through your bereavement by keeping you busy and wanting love and cuddles.
Also if you are having her cremated, I found that when you get them back you will feel that she is back home with you. It's also nice to find a special place to put her, along with a nice photo of her.
Hugs to you x

·
Registered
280 Posts
I will be thinking of you tomorrow, I really don't know what else to say :( It's such a terrible thing to have to go through.

I recently just lost my boy chichi. I had the most terrible experience with my vets. They were not sympathetic at all. I know your vets will be wonderful.

We're always here for a chat if you want to tell us how it went and how you feel. x

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi, so sorry to hear about Tia, I understand how hard it is to make that decision. I had to have my little Mini Dachshund Frank put to sleep 12 weeks ago tomorrow and I still cry daily for him.

He was only 3 and I feel so robbed but he had Sarcoma and was no longer responding to treatment, he fought bravely and lasted longer than most dogs do to stay with me 6 more months. He could have gone on longer but I couldn't bear to see him in pain anymore, the tumour was putting pressure on his nerves and causing problems with his eyes and coordination.

When he was put to sleep I stayed with him and we had it done at home. The vet and nurse were so kind and I held him till the very end after giving him a lovely last day where he got to do all his favorite things like ride in the car and roll in some long grass, eat lots of cheese and feel the sunshine on his coat. He was in too much pain for cuddles but I laid on the floor with him under the skylight for hours and stroked him whilst we waited for the vets. he still wagged his tail when I spoke to him.

He really did just go to sleep with his eyes open. The hardest thing I remember was because he was my little shadow and followed me everywhere was when I got up to walk to the door to let the vet back in as he had waited outside for a while and Frank was laid on the living room floor where he had been put to sleep. I turned round still expecting him to be behind me for some reason. It was the first time ever he didn't follow me when I got up to cross the room and heart just broke then. It didn't feel real until that point.

We chose a private cremation rather than ask the vets to do it because I couldn't bear the thought of my little man being kept in a cold store waiting for collection and not knowing where he was so I drove him to a crematorium myself that we chose and they gave him a wonderful little service and everything was done really respectfully and kindly. They even agreed a time to start the cremation and suggested we light a candle at home. Despite being one of those 4 hour burn candles it burnt through the night and all day the following day, it only went a few moments after we brought his ashes home.

It's the hardest thing I've ever, ever done and I've been through it with guilt blaming myself for everything going back to when he was a little puppy trying to work out what I did wrong. I've never been a negative person before but losing him triggered depression and after weeks of bleak feelings, losing over a stone because I couldn't eat and losing all interest in life I went to the doctor who perscribed me a very low dose of anti depressants and helped me with counselling. I felt silly going to the doctor for that reason when people are really sick but it was so bad and my boyfriend eventually coaxed me into it.

My partner took me to see some mini dashie puppies to try and cheer me up and I volunteered at rescue centres, I also wrote a report for the Dachshund breed council which was published to all their members to raise awareness of the signs of Sarcoma in dogs.

Now we've welcomed a new puppy into our home and although he will never be Frank the difference in his personality has made it easy to love him for who he is rather than drawing comparisons and he's slowly helping fix my poorly heart.

I know how hard this is going to be, please pm me if you would like to talk. xx

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I stood by your bed last night, I came to have a peep.
I could see that you were crying. You found it hard to sleep.

I whined to you softly as you brushed away a tear,
"It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."

I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea,
You were thinking of the many times your hands reached down to me.

I was with you at the shops today. Your arms were getting sore.
I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today, You tend it with such care.
I want to re-assure you, that I'm not lying there.

I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key.
I gently put my paw on you, I smiled and said "It's me."

You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair.
I tried so hard to let you know, that I was standing there.

It's possible for me to be so near you everyday.
To say to you with certainty, "I never went away."

You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew...
in the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.

The day is over... I smile and watch you yawning
and say "Good-night, God bless, I'll see you in the morning."

And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
I'll rush across to greet you and we'll stand, side by side.

I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see.
Be patient, live your journey out... then come home to be with me.
Beautiful, made my eyes go all leaky!

·
Registered
59 Posts
sorry to hear about your dog, I have lost 3 in just 13 months, one died in her sleep, one had a stroke and had to have her pts, and the other was pts just at the beginning of sept as she got ill, I know what your going through, your doing whats best for your girl x

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you everyone or your messages, struggled to read them all (had to hide in the loo) :) I really appreciate everyone who's shared there last moments too, it must be hard to bring it back up to comfort others.
I went to see her today, Tia stays at my dads house and recently I've taken up residence at the boyfriends, and as soon as I was in the door she tried to get over but her back legs just crumbled.... And so did I. I spent as long as I could with her sitting out the back door. She just stared at me with her big chocolate eyes as if to say I'm done.
Tomorrow when I finish work she will have all my attention before we have to go.
All I can do is give her some hugs and her favourite human foods.. She can't go a lovely walk through the crispy leaves or run about with the puppies, I can't even take some of the pain away.
I can only do what I can :(

·
Registered
59 Posts
could you get your vet to come to the house to do it?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The vets is really close to the house, literally round the corner, so it means she can go to the vets through the park and give her a bit a nice farewell walk.
I don't think we're having a single cremation or her. I did that with my cat and as much as it consoled me at the time having her with me, I don't think I grieved her actually passing away. It's horrible to think of what will happen when she's gone, I know i will be thinking about what's happening to her after we've left the vets, but I trust my vet and the nurses who work there to treat her the best they can :)

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Spoil her rotten when you see her tomorrow, loads of treats and hugs :)

My vet is wonderful and could not have been more lovely to me or Jaz when I took her for the last time. She had always loved going there and they made such a fuss of her (and me) before the deed was done. She was very happy as she moved on to the bridge.

How you have her cremated is a very personal thing, do what you feel is right for you, remember we all grieve in different ways.

((((hugs)))) on their way to you x

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As much spoiling as she can handle... She can still be a bit of a grump :) tonight while I was all tears trying to get a hug she huffed me off and plodded to the other end of the garden :)
I think the tears have stopped for the night. I said to the boyfriend to read all the lovely posts.. He then found a lovely picture on a fbook page but said 'oh this might set you off again so I'll not show you'.. But then started talking about the lovely poem that Colliebarmy posted!! Burst into tears and shouted at him because I couldn't finish eating my dinner :rolleyes5:

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
The sentiment in the poem (that our 4 legged buddies may hang around after passing away) may not be so far from true

our dog Sadie had a seizure and died in Oct 2001, we had her 12 years, after our our 1st night without her the wife and i both said we had sensed her get on the bed between us, at the bottom of the bed, just as she had for so many years, just on that 1st night without her and never again.

love never dies

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
Tia can join the Rainbow Brigade of loved and lost furry ones today, and also join those who were not so lucky and tell how some humans love dogs* and how there are only sunny days, juicy bones and a soft bed at night for them from now on.

*Other furry buddies are available (cats, rabbits,etc)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.