UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Friday night I have woken up between 2 and 3 every night. I just can't back to sleep and I just lie there tossing and turning. This morning I decided to get up at 5 as I was just fed up.:(

Does anyone have any solutions to help me sleep?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What wakes you up?

Why can you not get back to sleep?

Are you worrying ?

If you are then writing all the thoughts down before bed can help. As can not having PC/TV on.
I am not worrying about anything. We don't have tv or anything on as we still have our son in our room.

I am not sure if it is maybe the light waking me up, now it is getting light earlier. I don't know why I can't get back to sleep.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Since Friday night I have woken up between 2 and 3 every night. I just can't back to sleep and I just lie there tossing and turning. This morning I decided to get up at 5 as I was just fed up.:(

Does anyone have any solutions to help me sleep?

I used to wake up during the night and in the morning I was so tired I found it hard to function one day I found this technique by Betty Erickson and omg I have slept for a full night ever since, soemtimes I would like to watch a dvd but I never get past the credits lol

This was written by Natheera The Acuity Doctor who was quoting betty Erickson lol

Step One:
State your intention: For example "I am going to enter a restful deep sleep and wake up at 8am, feeling refreshed and energised."

Step Two:
Relax back and focus your eyes on a point on the ceiling, maybe a light attachment or a mark. Keep your eyes fixed, yet relaxed on this point.

Step Three:
With your eyes fixed above you, become aware in your peripheral vision; sights, sounds and sensations (in this order):

5 sights, 5 sounds, 5 feelings / sensations

So you may say to yourself…

(5 sights) "I am aware of the door to my right. I am aware of the window to the left. I am aware of the mirror on the wall. I am aware of the picture on the table. I am aware of the book to the side."

Each time, move your awareness to these things as you keep your eyes fixed on the ceiling.

Then 5 sounds:
"I am aware of the sound of the traffic outside. I aware of the sound of the radiator. I am aware of the sound of voices outside. I am aware of the sound of my breathing. I am aware of the sound of a cat outside."

Then 5 sensations, still eyes fixed on ceiling:
“I am aware of the feel of the duvet on my chin. I am aware of the feel of my feet on the bed sheet. I am aware of the warmth of my hand on my tummy. I am aware of my head against the pillow. I am aware of my back against the bed.”

Then start again with sights, this time thinking of four instead of five. So: 4 sights, 4 sounds, 4 feelings

Step Four:
Now close your eyes and lets go internal. That means; picture a relaxing time or fantasise a relaxing picture and notice:

3 sights, 3 sounds, 3 feelings.

"I am aware of the blue of the sky above me. I am aware of the bird flying by. I am aware of the leaves above me"

"I am aware of the sound of the rustling leaves. I am aware of the sound of the breeze. I aware of the sound of the dog barking in the distance."

"I am aware of the feel of the sun on my face. I am aware of the grass under my feet. I am aware of the cool breeze on me."

Then 2 sights, 2 sounds, 2 feelings.

And then 1 sight, 1 sound, 1 feeling.

Very likely by now you will be deeply relaxed if not asleep already. (Note: if your thinking mind has been interrupting you, just start again and you will start to relax deeply)

I used this method each time I woke up and it sent me straight back to sleep now I don't even bother waking up lol

Reactions: sequeena

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Aw hun I know the feeling, except I'm not sleeping at all (over 40 hours and counting everyone, feel quite proud of myself actually this is a new record :p).

I've heard cammomile (sp?) tea helps :) Making sure your bedroom is cool will do wonders too.

I'm sure everyone has given you great advice so I don't need to add anymore :p

G

·
waking up like that can become a kind of habit as well.

blob for Changes for lots of information up there :D

·
Banned
1,654 Posts
Maybe have a hot bath before bed, and have an Ovaltine?

I must say, I changed bedrooms in my place because the light in the summer is too hot and bright at 5am!

I have a good blackout blind and curtains in my "new" bedroom....I also painted my feature wall a deep red, and I have black velvet lamps...it's made a huge difference to my sleep. It's so relaxing.

I read every night for half an hour to an hour too, that sends me to sleep.

Maybe try some herbal remedies? Kalms are herbal, and lavendar on the pillow is relaxing.

If it's an ongoing problem, ask your DR, and they may give you better options.

Sweet dreams, xx :).

·
Registered
240 Posts
hiya hun

know exactly what your going through.

I was the same about 5 years ago, whilst pregnant with my 2nd. never gave it much thought as first, just put it down to being uncomfortable.

But, this went on for nearly 3 years. I was like a walking zombie, as i worked full time with 2 kids.

when i had my 3rd child, i had a break down, and after lenghty discussions, it turns out, that sleep problems, can be a sign of despression.

I had nothing to be depressed about, but, ended up on medication.

please go see your doctor, and don't rule anything out.

feel so much better now x

G

·
I am currently waking at 4am ish every morning! it is the light & my body clock causing this! Sometimes I can go back to sleep - othertimes I cannot!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.