Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Not scent marking?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by foxyrockmeister, Oct 6, 2013.

1. foxyrockmeister

foxyrockmeister PetForums VIP

Ok, so this is a bit of an odd one but maybe someone will be able to shed some light...

The Pickles are both serious scent markers, Branston especially spends a great proportion of his walk reading and leaving pee-mails! Everything he sniffs gets pee'd on.

However today we were walking in the forest and we were clearly walking down a path that had recently been walked by another dog as there were several visible pee-mails on the tree stumps and shrubs. Branston sniffed every single one of them but didn't pee on any of them.

This is totally unheard of for him and I just wondered whether there was any particular reason why he didn't feel the need to scent mark over the top of this particular dogs scent.

Any ideas?

2. springerpete

springerpete PetForums VIP

Perhaps they were fox markings and not dog, not sure if that would make a difference????

3. foxyrockmeister

No idea Pete, I assume it was dog as this was in the middle of the afternoon and they were obviously fresh so wouldn't have expected a fox to be out and about?

Also, had it been fox I'm sure a certain miss Lily Pickle would have been rolling around in it as eau de fox is her very favourite!!

4. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

Odd no idea unless they were 'unthreatening he didn't need to take notice' markings for some reason.

Ninja is also a serious scent marker but today it was pheasant skeletons that were being marked :confused:

5. springerpete

springerpete PetForums VIP

Didn't think of that, should have of course, having a fox roller myself...

6. foxyrockmeister

pheasant skeletons would have been rolled on here I think!

Well actually Lily would have rolled on them and Branston would have pee'd on them (and Lily) :nonod:

7. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

Eeew actually just realised she was rolling in them too. :(

I have just been snuggling up telling her how good she smells considering!! :nonod:

8. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

If they were that fresh, maybe he was more focused on the fact that the dog is around rather then 'replying'?

Scooby is a terrible marker but sometimes he just seems uninterested in doing so!

9. Honeybunny1984

Honeybunny1984 PetForums Member

Snoop marks everything & anything on a walk too....even when he's run out of pee! he'll still cock his leg on it :eek:ut:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice