Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Not quite the result I wanted!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by BessieDog, Nov 9, 2012.

1. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

I've been working on recall this week with Bess. Now she is the quickest at picking things up than any dog I've ever had - which isn't always good, as it's the way she's learned a lot of bad behaviour.

Anyway, this week I decided to really work on recall with the whistle. We did a session on Tuesday indoors - I used a three whistle signal, and she came running to me for a treat. I couldn't practice on Wednesday as I was at work all day and out training in the evening, so yesterday I picked it up again. This time I went straight in to see what she remembered. She was out in the garden pruning my vine (tried to tell her it's best done in December, but she obviously thinks she knows best) and out of sight of the back door. I stood at the back door, blew the whistle three times and she appeared running immediately!

Everytime I let her out yesterday I did the same thing - and proudly showed off to OH when he came in from work! (I also tried on our walk, and it worked a while, but she goes off even high value treats when there's other interesting smells around, so more work needed there).

So this morning I let her out in the garden, but I was wearing my dressing gown and the whistle was upstairs in the pocket of my jeans. Went to call her in - and she stood at the fence staring at me. I called her again - nothing! It suddenly twigged what she was waiting for. I said to OH - can you whistle? He said no. Now I can't usually whistle, but from somewhere I managed to do a very weak sort of three squeaks. Bess jumped round and ran in immediately.

So - looks like she'll only come in when we whistle her now! Was not the result I wanted to replace coming when called, to coming when whistled. Mind you, she is clever enough to be having me on! :rolleyes:

2. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

:lol: Oh accidental training fallouts. You should be able to have multiple commands for the same thing, sounds like you just need to mix it up with the voice and whistle commands to keep them fresh. I have 3 commands for 'come here' depending on how I'm feeling, one is just 'here', on is 'come' and the other is a clickig noise I make.

3. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

Yes I'll have to - but I thought she know 'come'! Maybe she's not as clever as I thought and only has room for one command in her brain at a time. :rolleyes:

I wanted to concentrate on the whistle as when I do let her off lead again I need a sound which will carry on a windy day when she's half a mile away.:eek:

4. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

She probably does know 'come', she's just temporarily confused by having a new behaviour that she's been offering with a different cue. :) I'm sure it'll come back. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice