Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Not quite right

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nonnie, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Do you ever get this with your dogs?

You know something is wrong, but you cant quite put your finger on it.

Oscar has been out of sorts for the past couple of weeks. Maybe im making myself see something that isnt there. Im aware he's getting old, and will *eventually* slow down, but i keep convincing myself he isnt well.

Im pretty sure there is something. He's drinking an awful lot, wont settle at night, lies of very weird positions, pants at random times even when at rest. Coughs when really excited, and sometimes looks uncomfortable. I know much is probably related to the heat and his heart problem, but i worry that im missing something. He's booked in for bloodtests on thursday, and will most likely have a full heart workup next week. Maybe im over reacting, but id rather be safe than sorry.

All that said, he's currently wrestling with Alfie on my bed, and it sounds like WW3 has erupted. He is VERY high energy and active for his age, but everyday i fear im going to lose him.

2. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

You can't help but let it play on your mind when you have an older dog and I think you start to observe their every move far more than you would with a younger one.

I think getting the blood tests is a good move. One way or another you'll be able to move forward without worrying so much.

Chin up Nonnie, I'm sure he'll be just fine. He's probably just looking for sympathy!

3. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

My mum rang me 2 weeks ago saying almost the same things!! Her lab was panting, not himself and generally not 'right'. I told her to pop him too the vets if she was worried. She finally did and they've found a slight heart problem, nothing over dramatic but he's now on medication and already back to his usual silly self. ;)

4. lauren001

lauren001 PetForums VIP

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Mine has left ventricular hypertrophy, and has been on Vetmedin for about 2 years now.

I think im just paranoid, but i want to make sure he isnt in pain or uncomfortable, or that his heart is getting worse. It doesnt help when the person i like with keeps saying " i think this will be his last year" :mad:

Hes scrumping up my duvet now and trying to hump it.

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I have done. I do treat for lungworm, but i will mention it to my vet. Maybe i need to do it more often, especially as we have LOADS of slugs and snails, and he does lick the patio.

7. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Ahh then I'd say a quick visit just to make sure the meds are still working to there optimum. ;) Sounds to me like he's still having fun (too much fun!!) but for your peace of mind it's worth a quick visit.
    ;)

8. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

My dog started drinking a lot and was doing that coughing you describe, especially after running upstairs. He was also lying in odd positions. He was 19 when this started.

A trip to the vets diagnosed a heart condition and failing kidneys. The lying in odd positions was because he was trying not to put pressure on his kidneys. He was put on medication and although it didn't turn back time he was much more comfortable.

The vet said if this had happened when he was 14-15 he could have lasted just as long as he did. He had to be PTS at the age of 20.

It's always hard taking them to the vet as they get older. When he turned 15 I was expecting every vet visit to be the last despite the fact he was in the picture of health. Turns out he had 5 more GOOD years.

9. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I swear im going to punch the person who said he would calm down by the time he was 6/7. He'll be eleven soon, and is still hyperactive and a total loon.

Maybe he needs to change meds, or step up the dose.
    Kidneys are my greatest worry i think. I hadnt thought about the positions being related to this. Ill make sure they do the correct series of BT's to check kidney function.

10. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Bailey has generally been rather odd this past week.
    I've put it down to the heat though, mainly cos now he's come out of it and seems fine again now that it's cooled down.
    x

11. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

But please don't worry too much. As I said my dog was 19 and even for a small breed that's quite an age.

It was funny to us he only had kidney problems at the age of 19. I swear i think I saw him drink water about once a month throughout his life!

12. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Sorry to hear he's out of sort's,hope everything goes well when you see the vet.Hope it's something minor.

Whoever told you they calm down was lying ;)

13. rona

rona Guest

Well you know what I have just been through with mine, niggled me for weeks.
    You know if there's something amiss ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice