Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

not impressed !

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by wiccan, Jul 10, 2009.

1. wiccan

wiccan PetForums Senior

Well this morning i took covi my 11mth old staffie in to be netuered ! I was told we'd have a consulation at the beginning which we didnt and was given a form to fill in. As i'm filling in the form in comes another male staffie for the same op. The woman took this mans dog straight out the back as the man had kept him in the car while filling out the form ( as he doesnt like other dogs)
    She then came back with his lead and harness and took my dog out the back. Struggling to hold him he is a strong dog but my 11 yr old next door neighbour does a better job than this woman. as soon as she went thou the door i could hear fighting the woman then come back out and tells me she will keep my lead as my dog as just bitten the other dog !!!!!!
    My dog is dog friendly and has never bitten another dog but still the other dog should have been placed in his cage before my dog was taken out the back and surely the staff should be able to control strong dogs????
    Now i'm not sure what is going to happen when i pick him up and if i will be counted as responsble for the other dogs injury. which apparently isnt bad.
    I wouldnt have left him there except i really need him neutered as i have his mum who is not yet spayed due to come into season soon.
    What do you all think will me and my dog be responsible even thou the vets is at fault ? and what would you do about this ??? sorry for the long rant

2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

No the vet should be responsible for this, they knew the other dog doesn't like dogs, they should have made sure it was secured before bringing your dog through!
    I would make a complaint if I were you!

x

3. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

I agree i would be very miffed, all dogs should be sercure in the cages before any others are brought in, your dog couldve reacted to the other dogs body language and reacted with a bite before the other dog could if you know what i mean.

4. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

I would complain if I was you. Change your vets aswell!!!

5. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

I agree that it's he vets at fault, they must know that the dogs would have been wondering what was happening and would in all likely hood be stressed, they should take full responsability.

Terri

6. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Aww, i really feel for you. And your poor dog :( Don't beat yourself up about, its certainly not your boy's fault. The vet practice has the responsibilty to make sure a dog that doesn't like other dogs is sercure in his cage before any other comes in.

7. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Complain! Some people these days, they aren't worth the paper their degree is printed on!

8. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

I completely agree! Definately the vet who is responsible.
    When my dog was neutered, the nurse kept his lead anyway and as far as I know they always do.

9. Inca's Mum

Inca's Mum PetForums VIP

I don't think you're responsible at all, the vet is and as already said, I think you should send in a complaint.
    x

10. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Its the vets responsibility to pay for any treatment the dog may need, i feel sorry for all concerned except the nurse. Your dog should not have been put in the position of having to fend for himself over a unfriendly dog, and the other dog should not have been put in that position either not when the owner kept him outside to avoid this.

11. Varkhond

Varkhond PetForums Member

Complaint, even if the VET doesn't try to let you pay.

12. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Totally not your fault, it's the vets 100%, they SHOULD know better :cursing:

I would seriously put a complaint in, and i'm sorry to hear that this happened to you :(

13. wiccan

wiccan PetForums Senior

ThAnx for all your replys well the other dog was being walked aorund wen i turned up to pick my boy up and looked fine ! mine is also fine nothin was mentioned so when the vet came out to talk to me i complained and told him i dont want that nurse dealing with me animals and would like him to come out and collect them in future otherwise i will be moving vets.
    I would move vets now but i dont drive and this one is easy to get to plus its open 24hrs every day which i find realli imporant

14. rona

rona Guest

That is really bad practice. :(
    I would be concerned about the effects of this on your dog, hopefully it will not make him dog aggressive, but I think you should be careful especially when meeting your next Staffie when walking.

15. Dundee

Dundee Banned

The responsibility for this incident lies entirely with the vet.

I just wanted to add though, that if your dog's mother is due in season, neutering now will not be safe. Dogs have been know to be fertile many months after castration, so you need to ensure they are apart during her season even if she doesn't come in for a few months.

16. scarlet_rain

scarlet_rain PetForums Junior

Yes i agree - totally the vets fault - I personally would not have been able to hold my tongue, the vet should had known better..plus you dont want your animals to have any contact with any thing else whilst at the vets - its traumatising enough. My greyhound was spayed today and I have found the whole thing absolutly awfull lol. My vet was lovely but its so upsetting!

17. wiccan

wiccan PetForums Senior

Thanx luckly he lives with his mother who is also a staffie and also sees his sister and father most days 4 walks so is totally fine with other staffies
    His mother is due in season in a few months but will wear nappies when we're home and covi will be crated when we're not. She will also be spayed soon but cant afford it rite now on maternity pay so saving for it !

Walking him on the lead is a nitemare as he is use to running free in the woods and field with the others sure i'm going to have one arm longer than the other lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice