Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

not impressed :(

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by max_and_beau, Jan 23, 2012.

1. max_and_beau

max_and_beau PetForums Member

I have been trying to teach my dogs not to barge past me when going down the stairs

This morning they both were doing really well waiting for me to get down first.....until i got to 2 steps from the bottom they both then decided I was taking to long and barged past

I fell over the box that was at the bottom of the stairs (which now will be getting moved) and fell full force into the corner of the wall :(

Very big egg shaped bruise as well as a very long cut came up seconds after

both dogs were then basically sat on top of me trying to see what the problem was

not the best start to the day :( very big head ache now

2. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

Do they need to be upstairs?

Hope your head feels better soon!

3. max_and_beau

they sleep upstairs now as they used to sleep down stairs in the uility room but they caused to much havic

4. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

Sorry you got hurt this morning :(

I have mine upstairs and I let them run down in front of me and wait at the bottom. I can get them to sit and stay at the top of the stairs while I walk down...but I'm usually in a rush to get downstairs in the morning and can't be bothered so I let them go first :)

What have you been doing to get them to wait? When I ask mine to stay or wait I will repeat the command several times as I walk away, no names I just keep saying wait or stay to remind them that's what they should be doing.

I hope you feel better soon xx

5. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

Ouch :crying:
    Kiva isn't allowed upstairs so I don't need to worry about her playing shuttles ha ha
    Hope your head feels better soon :eek:

6. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

How are you teaching them?

I've never had an issue inside the house, but outside is a different matter, especially if I have them onlead and walking down a muddy set of steps, I start of by having them on lead and walking with them - Saying "Steady" as we go and taking one step at a time, and if they rush forward, we go back up and start again. They learn eventually, they should stop everytime you stop and should take it steady when you take a step.

I did train it another way - send the dogs up or down first then I go, but Louie would ambush me when I got to the top and stop half way when I was walking down. Now he walks by the side of me nicely up the stairs and down the stairs.

Or you could train a wait - sit and wait at the top or bottom and call them when your at the top/bottom - that way you don't come into contact with them and vice versa - and you'll have a nice wait ;)

7. Autaven

Autaven PetForums Member

How is their wait at other times? Hope you're alright!!

8. max_and_beau

they are really good at waiting but on the morning its a diffrent matter lol they just want to be in the garden for a wee

i think ill be just letting them go down first from now on

9. dizzylou

dizzylou PetForums Member

Hope your head feeling better :(

I let my dog go up and down first otherwise she would have me over :rolleyes:

10. Manoy Moneelil

Manoy Moneelil PetForums VIP

A follower dog would not push past the leader.

When the dog tries turn and push the dog back in their place.

Now we have seen the big dog pictures in your signature line can you replace them with smaller images please.

11. max_and_beau

Thanks for all of your replys, my head is still hurting i think im gonna have a bruise for a while yet :rolleyes:

12. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Oh yes - because man handling your dog is the best way to stop them pushing you over.. :rolleyes:

Dogs also don't see humans as dogs so follower and leader rubbish won't work - you'd just be a bully :rolleyes:

Hope you feel better soon M&B :)

13. theothersparticus

theothersparticus PetForums Senior

Not sure how well this would work with your big dogs but Bella used to barge past and she always got me at the back of the knees so I would fold before I knew what had happened :eek:

I would stop and block the stairs (with a really firm grip on the bannister) whenever I heard her racing behind me. She has mostly learnt that the quickest way to get down is to give me a little space, although it's not totally been perfected yet, I'm less bruised now :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice