Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Not finding their way out....and in.

Discussion in 'Poultry Chat' started by Lijong, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Lijong

Lijong PetForums Newbie

Hi all

I've kept chickens for 10 years or so and before Christmas out last chicken died. They were a lovely bunch and we never had a problem. I've come for some advice....We decided to buy two hens on Monday, Rhode Hybrids, they are gorgeous. When we got them they were in a shed with outdoor run. We have a proper hen house and to access it they need to climb the ladder to get in and out. When we got up today they were both still in the loft and hadn't come down the ladder to free range. We took the side off the coop and out the came. They just didn't seem to know how to go down the hole, and ladder and out of the coop. I appreciate it's only day one and they're young 18 weeks but will they get the hang of it? I've attached a photo of the type. Ladder access and the full side can be removed for cleaning. They were making a racket but hadn't investigated the ladder. Tonight at dusk they both sat outside our shed together, this is just like the shed they had been in. We had to manually put them away. Perhaps I am just over-thinking it and hope they will find their way eventually. Is there anything I am missing? Thanks Li

Attached Files:

2. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

They'll get it eventually. I've had various breeds of hens over the past few years & some have taken over a week before they managed to figure things out!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d say time and patience is the key ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice