Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Not eating

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by harkess1971, Apr 12, 2011.

1. harkess1971

harkess1971 PetForums Newbie

Hi,

Ive been feeding my 4month old lab/red setter on wainwrights wet and dry since he was n8 weeks old but all of a sudden he seems to have stopped eating it.

He can miss his breakfast and lunch no problems and he doesnt seem to mind but if I put a wee bit of "felix" (cat food) in the mix he scoffs the lot in quick time.

Is he just bored of the same old same old food and need a mix of flavours and tastes or could it be something more.

He has had all his injections and flea and worm treatment so I have to rule that out and there have been no changes in his routine.

Im at a loss and starting to worry a bit.

2. henry

henry PetForums VIP

Hi -have you tried any other flavours? Or maybe some Naturediet, Natures Harvest, etc. Some dogs do like a variety (if they can get away with it!:D). If you don't mind chopping and changing, say, the meat it can be a good way to get some variety in their diet. Once you've started doing this, it can be hard to break, but if you're happy to buy different stuff that's fine.

Have you tried warming the meat slightly in the microwave (just for say 30 seconds). It's the smell that makes it appealing.

Of course, it could be the warmer weather making him a bit off his food, but I'd give the above a try if it were me.

Good Luck!

Claire

3. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Everything that Claire suggests and also, try offering it separately (if you havent already) to see if it's specifically wet or dry he's not liking. Mine doesnt get on with kibble and has 100% wet whereas some have 100% dry.

You could also try adding water to the wet, making it sloppy will then coat all the kibble and perhaps make it a constant texture as well as all taste the same.

Hope you soon find something that makes him happy :D

4. harkess1971

Hiya,

It did cross my mind that the weather might be something to do with it but I will try the likes of Natures Harvest to try some variety, I dont mind chopping and changing if he is gonna eat it and be happy.

I have tried just the wet on its own then the dry on its own but there is nothing doing.

Thanks for the info folks.
    James

5. bird

bird PetForums VIP

It could be total boredom of the taste. As you're already feeding wainwrights I'd be tempted to stay on this brand, just maybe feed a different one, maybe the lamb. :) The vast majority of pup feed is chicken, chicken and then more chicken. Bland and boring.

6. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Firstly - I wouldn't feed cat food to a dog.

Secondly - If you were fed branflakes every day of your life I think you'd go off eating every now and then. Its probably a natural reaction, but keep an eye on it.

Try to make mealtimes more interesting with different flavours of food, or mix in some chopped carrot or leftover sunday roast (if it was plain). A spoonful of natural yogurt could also make it more exciting.

7. harkess1971

Hi,

Dont worry Im not planning on feeding him cat food, I just did it to see if he was hungry.

It seems that boredom is the most likely answer, I was just a bit worried that it might be something else, I just wanted some other peoples input just to make sure.

Again thanks for the help folks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice