Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Not cat flu, finally a diagnosis!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Megan Carpenter, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Megan Carpenter

Megan Carpenter PetForums Junior

I’ve done a few posts on here about Luna my rescue cat and her chesty problems.
    Initially thought to be cat flu by our old vets, she now has a diagnosis.
    She had nose and throat swabs done which showed Bordatella and Mycoplasma. She tested negative for cat flu and feline herpes.
    I’ve been told Mycoplasma can be quite tricky to eradicate and treat. She’s been prescribed antibiotics (collecting tomorrow and can’t remember the name!) and has them for 7 days. Then a follow up appointment in 8-10 days.
    I’m so glad we know what it is now. Honestly you wouldn’t think she was sick the way she plays!
    Has anyone got experience with these types of infection?
    Many thanks! :)

chillminx and OrientalSlave like this.
  2. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Glad you finally know what it is, so much easier to move forward now. :)

Megan Carpenter and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Megan Carpenter

Thank you! Hope the treatment works!

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Megan Carpenter - I am pleased you have a diagnosis for Luna. Well done for persevering. :)

As I recall the antibiotic Ronaxan may be used to treat Mycoplasma. A longer course than a week may be needed to eradicate it.

Please let us know how Luna goes on. x

5. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

I hope one of the two infections found are actually the cause of your girl's problems but it is possible that a previous herpesvirus infection could have caused permanent damage which may not resolve with the treatment. Unless she was shedding virus at the time of the swab it is not always possible to detect a herpes carrier even with the addition of a PCR test.

I have a boy who was diagnosed with a Mycoplasma infection whilst having investigations for a different problem. He had 6 weeks of Ronaxan and finally my vet concluded none of his symptoms were caused by that organism. I think it often is asymptomatic.

The Bordetella infection may be more significant. This icatcare article states the choice of antibiotic should be determined by a sensitivity test. https://icatcare.org/advice/bordetella-bronchiseptica-infection-in-cats/

6. Megan Carpenter

Thank you Chillminx :)
    The antibiotics prescribed are called Veraflox? It’s Pradofloxacin. We’re on a 7 day course for now then a check up on the 31st. Hopefully it helps!

7. Megan Carpenter

Oh so Bordatella May be the cause of her symptoms then? I hope the antibiotics help her! She needs to be spayed but it’s been postponed twice now due to her chest!
    I hope your boy is okay :) and thank you for the link!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice