Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Not again...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by catz4m8z, Sep 25, 2013.

1. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

The boys had another fight last night.:( They had been getting on really well, like best friends then this happens! Adam jumped on the sofa with a toy and Alfie grabbed for it from the floor leaving them both trying to take it. I just kinda froze coz I was underneath Adam on the sofa and couldnt work out how to get up and not set them off.
    Turns out I couldnt and when I tried to stop them they just flew at each other.:mad: It took quite a while to grab them and they have spent the night in seperate crates, although I would hate to have to crate them seperately even when Im in the house....hoping it was just an unlucky random event.
    Now poor Adam is all limpy this morning (not on a leg but rather walking stiffly like he is bruised) and TBH Im not sure if it was Alfie or me when I tried to get them apart.:( So major guilt trip for me!

*sigh* I didnt post in the training section coz I really didnt want to hear about how bad I am as an owner...just having a moan!:eek:

2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Don't worry I'm not going to try and give any advice :crazy: as I know you don't want it but I hope both dogs are OK and maybe you could use baby gates instead of crates to leave them separated if you're worried if you don't want to crate them?

3. BoredomBusters

BoredomBusters PetForums VIP

My two boys started fighting when Tinker got to 1. We are working through a training programme with a behavioural trainer, but one or other is in a crate, or out of the house, or Tinker wears a muzzle because he is quite serious about hurting Fred.

They are fine 99.99% of the time, but because Tinker does a lot of damage I can't risk that other 0.01%.

I swore I wouldn't live like this and TIinker would have to go if we couldn't sort it, but in all other areas Tinker is a fantastic dog and is already getting placed at obedience competitions. So they are both staying and if we really can't get them back together we will adapt.

4. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

not really feasible when you dont have a hallway though, Id have to be opening and shutting them all the time and trying to block them getting out!;)
    I dont know what Id do if they could really hurt each other, that must be a horrible way to live BB.:( My 2 are tiny and really arent able to do more then bruise each other TBH. As it is I try and make sure there are no high value items around, they are fed seperatly and Alfie is crated whenever the dogs are alone.

Thing is its hard to know how far to go. Do you keep them permanently seperate? (would involve a rehome I imagine), remove all their toys so even the girls cant play?:confused:. Esp annoying when the triggers arent easy to predict. I mean I know they argue over high value items but they will suddenly decide that a tomato is high value when they havent been near the bushes all summer!:rolleyes:

Bah!, boys are more trouble then they are worth!! Give me nice, well behaved, mellow girls any day of the week.:D

5. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Sorry but that is a ridiculous thing to believe. Two chihuahua sized dogs are as capable of causing serious harm to each other as two great dane sized ones.

6. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

sorry it sounds ridiculous...:( I can only go on my own past experience and friends on Chihuahua forums who Ive spoken with over the years.
    I would be very interested to know how bad it could be though if you can tell me...

7. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Death bad enough for you? And yes, it really can be that bad. Please, for the sake of your dogs, do not be blase about the fact they're fighting, do not believe that they can do no harm to each other beyond bruises. They can. And if it is allowed to escalate they will.

8. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

I am sorry this has happened but I worry when you say they cant do much more than bruise each other due to their size :confused: even when people say small dogs cant damage big dogs I raise an eyebrow but your lot most certainly can do terrible damage to each other, they still have teeth dont they, and in my experience them little teeth are razor sharp.

Why would you have to keep opening and shutting gates, just step over them, if they are too high then rig up something low seen as they are only tiny :rolleyes:.

Or god forbid, I know you dont want to hear this but I am saying it anyway, ruddy train the things. Sorry to say this but its small dog owners like you give small dog owners bad names :(.

9. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

They could still bite each other and tear ears etc despite their size. Is there any intent to harm? My cross is 9kg and my yorkie 4kg. When he has told her off it is all noise and he stops at the point she goes on her back and screams. He has never physically damaged her and she isn't scared of him. I found trying to stop it made it worse.

10. L/C

L/C PetForums VIP

Well if they can damage children enough that they require stitches then I imagine they can do the same to each other.

Chihuahua sought in attacks on two children

11. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

well, I was assuming that coat thickness, muzzle size and bite capacity had an effect on the damage a dog could do and that is why people even bothered having specific breeds for dog fighting.:confused: I have never been 'blase' about my dogs fighting so clearly the internet does not convey situations accurately (really??, big surprise!:rolleyes:).
    Its why I havent asked for armchair training advice...and to the person who says I should 'ruddy well train' them and Im giving small dog owners a bad name? Thank goodness I have you here with your vast knowledge of me and my dogs! I dont have any relatives with lots of dog owning experience though so you will have to tell me which close friend or family member you actually are!

12. GingerRogers

Dont get up on your high horse with me, as you point out I and everyone else can only go on what you post, you have said several times in various threads about various issues you have with your dogs, how you dont feel its an issue, there's is no need to train, in fact you found it a bit boring so couldn't be bothered I believe once, even going so far as to say you can separate them easily with your foot so its not a big deal. Other posts about the midget army on the rampage barking and lunging at other peoples bigger dogs and seeming not to think it matters to your dogs or those on the receiving end. :confused:

Clearly it is a big deal, as you now mention how maybe re-homing is the answer :(

I never said I had any vast experience, quite the opposite I am learning every day, and doing my hardest to train my dog so she can be an ambassador, and I find it hard to understand how you think it isn't necessary just because they are small and you find it a bit boring.

I absolutely stand by what I said and will not apologise for it no matter how bad it makes you feel.

Sarah1983 and moonviolet like this.
  13. BoredomBusters

It has been said but yes your dogs could hurt each other if they choose to. How big do you think my dogs are? Tinker is bigger than a Chihuahua or a Dachshund yes, but not by very much.

Yours might not have the desire to seriously hurt each other, but if they keep fighting, and one works out they can 'win' each time then it could turn more serious. With regard fighting over toys then you can work on resource guarding training (but I would always use a professional for any aggression issues), or have all the toys put away except for times you separate them to play. And yes, it's depressing and sad that they can't all be together like they were, but in a way it's worked out because they all get much more 121 attention than they did when they were together - at least once if not twice every day instead of a few times a week.

It's bloody knackering doing 3 walks a day though. :/

14. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

well, I feel bad for you...living such a judgemental and biased life but i dont really feel bad for me.:confused:
    I was not 'on my high horse' I was trying to point out that you have no real knowledge of me and my dogs without resorting to being nasty, obviously subtle isnt the way to go though!
    well done on picking random bits out of all my posts and twisting them to make them fit what you feel is my life. You seem to be reading everything in a totally different way to how it was written. And that is why I didnt ask for any training advice, merely had a little rant...

15. DoodlesRule

DoodlesRule PetForums VIP

Wow thats impressive :D

:eek: Sorry but it made me laugh and ................ oh I will shut up and go away now

16. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Should talk to Malmum :p

On another note, don't rule of Chihuahuas for not being able to do much. A friend of mine back in the UK ended up putting hers to sleep because of a biting problem, he bit several people and some of those had stitches. The worst he got was the postman's finger and tore skin off that the bone was visible. :eek:

Chihuahuas are ratting dogs after all, they arn't bred to have soft mouths like a lab but even then soft mouthed breeds can do damage. All breeds/sizes can cause injury or death.

17. BoredomBusters

Thought I'd share this - perspective is a bit off as the Chihuahua is closer to the camera, but still. Not really that much in size difference.

Attached Files:

18. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Well that backfired on you :D

19. GingerRogers

Shes not got a very good grasp of politics and religion yet, in fact she barked at an MP the other day and ran rampant round the vicars garden once :eek:

I wasn't being nasty, judgmental, yes maybe but based on what you write. Not sure where bias comes into it :confused:

I am genuinely concerned for your dogs, have picked up on these things over the months and sadly am not surprised that you are struggling now, because your posts say what they do. I dont want to get into an internet argument with you but I do think you need to wake up before one of the dogs gets seriously hurt which I am quite sure you dont want :confused:.

20. Firedog

Firedog PetForums VIP

Hope you can sort it out because if it does keep happening it can become really serious and could result if the death of one of the dogs. If they have teeth they can do damage. Weren't Daxis bred to kill badgers?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice