Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Not again

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Freyja, May 5, 2010.

1. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Had a run in with more off lead dogs today. This time 2 shar-pei's came charging up to the twins. I shooed them away. The owner shouted they are not aggressive.I relied my dogs are on leads and under control because I don't want other dogs bouncing around them. He said thats your problem.I replied if my dogs were on their leades because they are aggressive and bit your dogs then it would be your problem.

I stopped to speak tp 2 young girls with a husky aparrently they shar- peis had charged up to their dog too. During the time we were talking the man came up behind us. This time both his dogs were on there leads.

I had gone out earlier than yesterday to avoid the fat ridgeback and instead met these 2 dogs. I think I'll have to start walking them at midnight.

I don't mind my dogs associating with other dogs but I don't like them bouncing up to my dogs when they are on leads.

2. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I sympathise. Keep finding myself in a similar situation these days. Heidi runs off lead but I step in if the other dog is too boisterous, then get grief and end up feeling that I'm the baddie.

I'm sure we are right but it doesn't half make you start doubting your own sanity:eek:

3. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

I know what you mean. My new lurcher can be a bit growly with strange dogs so he always goes on lead when other dogs are around (they both do anyway out of courtesy) then I get other owners complaining when Alfie growls at their off lead dogs that refuse to leave him alone.

Apart from anything else it is really setting back Alfie's retraining to get him more dog friendly.

4. PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth

PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth PetForums Member

Tsk! I wish fellow dog walkers would respect other peoples dogs/rules and have some flippin manners too. There is a man where I walk a couple of times a wk that has a colli cross that is dog aggressive and he refuses to put it on a lead, even when he sees other people with dogs coming his way. All he says is "let dogs be dogs" Grrr dont get me started!!

5. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

The twins aren't growly in fact they are quite eager to play but Simba is not the most confident of dogs which is why they are extending leads not loose as if something spooked him he would bolt and as we live on a main road I don't want him running across it. I don't even mind other dogs being of lead if the owners call them back when they see other on lead dogs but neither this man or the man yesterday had no intention of calling their dogs away from mine and to be honest the shar-peis didn't look as if they were friendly to me.

6. $hAzZa

$hAzZa Shan

Have you tried explaining to the man how his dogs should approach others?

Trust me, I've seen and heard of many dog fights caused by over excitement :(

7. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

He jus stormed off and said it was my problem if I didn't want his dogs coming near mine not his problem. I shouted after him yes and it would be your problem if my dog bites yours. but when he caught up with usagain both dogs were on leads so something must have sunk in.

8. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Hopefully he's just too stubborn to admit to you that he's in the wrong but has learnt something and will be more considerate in the future.

It's better than nothing!

9. $hAzZa

$hAzZa Shan

I should have thought it would sink in now he realises his dogs could get bitten

Shar pei's never have the happiest of expressions lol

10. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I know my friend has a shar-pei and to be honest it doesn't have the best of tempers and I met another while out with the dogs at the weekend and that wasn't to friendly either so I was a bit unsure of them at the best of times.

11. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

My latest quip was "dogs do play you know" that was after Heidi squealed when their dog landed on her. This is from the person who a couple of months ago insisted her dog had brilliant recall when I carried on walking with Heidi and hers in tow as well............................................blinking people grrrr:eek6:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice