Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

North East Westie puppies

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by jeane armstrong, Feb 10, 2019.

1. jeane armstrong

jeane armstrong PetForums Newbie

Anyone know of any Westie breeders in North East England. I am wanting a puppy in next few weeks.

2. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

Most good breeders who fully health test there dogs will have a waiting list so you may need to be a little flexible. Sorry don’t know breeders but Discover Dogs at Crufts is a good place to find out more.

O2.0 and Torin. like this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Not sure a good breeder would have a random pup available in a few weeks tbh.

They tend to plan their litters better than that.

I’d be very wary of any available at short notice as Westies are a notorious puppy farm breed, often with severe health issues :(

Does it have to be a Westie? Have you looked in rescue? There will be lots of them around now probably, post Xmas.

Torin., LinznMilly and Bugsys grandma like this.
  4. jeane armstrong

I don't want a show dog - we just want a Westie pet

5. jeane armstrong

It does not have to be a show dog - we just want a Westie puppy as a pet.
    I have had 4 over the last 25 years and love their special little characters and they are so intelligent
    Two of my Westies came from Scotland but t is a bit far to travel One of them from Banff right in the north..

6. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

Good breeders don’t just breed for show dogs, they breed healthy puppies. Anyone who has puppies is a breeder

Lurcherlad, Torin. and O2.0 like this.
  7. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I presume you would like your puppy to be healthy and live a long and healthy life?

Responsible breeders who health test their breeding dogs are more then likely to be those that are showing their dogs and have a litter of puppies in order to bring on another dog for the show ring. They won’t want to keep the entire litter of puppies and will be selling the rest to people like yourselves who want a pet dog and have no interest in showing or whatever. This is where you should be looking for a family pet, it is what I have always done when buying a new puppy. I do not show my dogs.
    By not going down this route you risk highly getting a puppy farm bred dog or from someone who randomly breeds their dog with another and may no have much of a clue what they are doing

Check out the KC website, Champdogs website and contact the breed club

8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Well bred dogs from ethical breeders don’t have to be show dogs.

Like I said, Westie’s suffer a number of health issues so taking a pup that has been produced without all relevant health tests and good parents is risky.

They are a popular puppy farm breed too but regularly passed off as well bred :(

LinznMilly, O2.0 and JoanneF like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice