Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

normal?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Weim<3, May 17, 2010.

1. Weim<3

Weim<3 Banned

Hi,
    I'm new here & also a first time 'breeder.'
    1 week & 1 day ago, I bred my weimaraner for the first time.

I haven't paid too much attention in the past when she has been on season, but as now there is a small possibilty she is pregnant I'm noting down everything that I observe.

Firstly, her mating was a slip mating and didnt produce a tie between the dogs, so I'm guessing the chances of her concieving as opposed to a tie have decreased.
    I noticed the night before last when she jumped up at me to say hello, a brown discharge came out of her, just as though blood would drip when on heat.
    I can't say I've noticed this in her seasons prior to this one but she had stopped bleeding for a few days before this happened and was free from any discharge.
    I'm just wondering if this is perfectly normal is any bitch just been through season, or whether its something that happens after they have been mated, or even possibly pregnant?
    :confused1:
    Any help would be brilliant. I have searched the web a few times and did come across someone asking the same question, it happened to her girl 3 days after mating. She updated a couple of months later to tell us her bitch had 5 healthy pups.
    So anyone with any insight, please come forward :D

2. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I've no idea I'm afraid, but bumping this up in the hope someone might :)

3. Weim<3

Weim<3 Banned

Thanks Tinsley, much appreciated :)

4. vizzy24

vizzy24 PetForums VIP

Hi Weim I would be inclined to go for a check up at the vets just to be 100 % sure it is not an infection, It may be just the end of her season though. If it is an infection this could be very serious and needs urgent veterinary attention. My parents bred weims good luck

5. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Someone posted a very similar question on here a few days ago, with her bitch Meg, part Weimerarner, to a dog called Balou. The advice to them was to take the bitch for a mismate injection, as unless you have done your research thoroughly, know what you're letting yourself in for and have the mentorship of someone who knows about breeding, then you could be letting yourself and your bitch in for a rough ride. Not a criticism, just fact, unfortunately, things do not always go smoothly, you could lose your bitch, the pups, or both :(

If you haven't already done so, you need to buy the book of the bitch and read it cover to cover. Pregnancies and whelping, do not go smoothly all of the time, and insurance (if you have any) will not cover any extra costs related to pregnancy. So, if you don't have access to the cost for emergency treatment put to one side (for bitch and pups), you will need to think of a strategy in case anything does happen.

Bitches can have a discharge whether or not they're pregnant, it isn't necessarily an indicator she definitely is or isn't.

6. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

In truth, there are often very few early signs of pregnancy in a bitch - and I've had a bitch who I truly didn't know she was in whelp until she was scanned at 28 days.

I have in the past noticed a white stringy discharge within a few days of mating, and this is normal and usually a good sign that they have caught.

Remember however, it is still early days, bitches can reabsorb their pups - I've known one bitch have four pups show on an early scan, and no babies at the end of 9 weeks.

If she has a discharge which you think is any way unusual, my advice would be to get her checked out by the vet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice