Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Non slip waterproof flooring help please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Julieb1, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Julieb1

Julieb1 PetForums Newbie

Hi all, I am looking for an affordable solution for my elderly dog. Tess is 18 and slips on laminate, vinyl and tiles so we carpeted the whole bungalow including the bathroom and kitchen. She walks great on carpet but as she is having accidents we bought a rug doctor. The problem now is the smell, we initially had hessian backed carpet which was great as we could see the pee but the urine still got into to back of the carpet. We are changing to carpets every few months which is too expensive, the last two we bought have been rubber and gel backed with the hope that it wouldn’t soak in but the smell is worse than ever after just over three weeks. We had an idea of buying another gel backed and laying carpet side down. We have tested this and she walks great, we threw a glass of water down which sat on top - great but after clearing up it still feels damp. Please does anyone have a suggestion? Needs to be totally non slip and waterproof. If you got this far, sorry for the long winded post and thanks for reading

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

My lurcher Jack can’t cope with hard floors but is ok on vinyl - some are Matt and non-slip.

In holiday homes with hard floors I take a number of rubber backed rugs and runners and create islands and pathways for Jack.

Given your dog is messing up your carpets, maybe a non-slip vinyl with rubber backed rugs is a good compromise. At least you can keep the floors clean after accidents in the rooms she has access to.

Flotex is a waterproof carpet which might do the trick but is quite expensive and choice is limited.

3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I'm sorry I don't have an answer but I love that you are doing all this for your dog.

Ochre likes this.
  4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Instead of focussing on the carpet, is there anything more you can do for your old dog and her incontinence? I assume she's already on medication from the vet - could they try adjusting her dose? When does she lose control of her bladder - is it possible to put down puppy pads if it's always in the same area (e.g. where she sleeps)? Some form of 'nappy'?

margy likes this.
  5. Julieb1

Julieb1 PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your suggestions, I have requested a Flotex sample.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. Arny

Arny PetForums Senior

You can buy rubber flooring that are mainly marketed for garages, often comes in small squares that slot together.
    It does seem to be non slip. It is quite expensive though.

7. Julieb1

Julieb1 PetForums Newbie

Thank you, she is worth every penny :)

JoanneF likes this.
  8. Julieb1

Julieb1 PetForums Newbie

She is not on any medication and is in really good health for an older lady. Just before she is fed she runs around like a puppy but when she’s tired she can be a bit unstable on smooth floors which is why we bought carpets. She will go to the back door but if we miss her she will go somewhere inside. We thought about nappies but didn’t think it would be fair for her to be sitting in wee. Puppy pads didn’t work either :(

9. Julieb1

Julieb1 PetForums Newbie

Thank you, I have requested a sample of this too.

10. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

In that case I'd talk to your vet as there are medications to help incontinent dogs - got to be better than her peeing everywhere. Also maybe you need to be more proactive about taking her out to toilet more often rather than waiting for her to sit at the door.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  11. Julieb1

Julieb1 PetForums Newbie

We are constantly taking her out, most of the time she will pee but sometimes we can be outside for 20 minutes or more and she will pee when we come in. She is quite deaf and her eyesight is failing so I cannot use a phrase or hand signals as her sight is worse in sunlight. I felt that my initial post was long enough and I was trying to keep to the point but thank you for your suggestions.

12. Purplejellyfish

Purplejellyfish PetForums Member

My daughters french bull dog sprinkles urine constantly. He has spinal problems and has no awareness of when he needs to pee... it just comes out. I have found baby nappies to be the perfect solution. As the moisture is held away from his skin, he has never had problems with soreness. He started wearing nappies about two years ago. No issues at all and no smell of urine in the house.

Julieb1 likes this.
  13. Julieb1

Julieb1 PetForums Newbie

Thank you, I might give them a go.

14. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

15. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Just make sure nappies are changed regularly so the dog isn’t lying in wet/mess.

Also, allow some time without to avoid skin issues.

16. Julieb1

Julieb1 PetForums Newbie

Thank you for all of your suggestions, for now, we are going to go for carpet tiles in the living room area and reduce her access to the dining area/kitchen using a gate and try rubber in the hallway.

17. foxiesummer

foxiesummer PetForums VIP

Cushioned vinyl is thicker and softer and has some 'give'.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice