Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Non-Regerative Anemia

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by AmyT, Apr 16, 2011.

1. AmyT

AmyT PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,
    This is all totally new to me! So please bear with me :eek:
    OK the reason I am here is my dog Tia has just been diagnosed with non regenerative anemia. Again this is new and so very confusing to me. Tia is a whippet, 4 yrs old, bitch.
    I am basically trying to find out more and to understand the condition, my vet is great but maybe I am a bit slow! he talks and as hard as I try this is not sinking in! Its been 3 days now and what he is saying is making more sence, but I would love to know if anyone else has had this problem with their dog.
    So far we have done blood tests etc to come to the non regerative anemia conclusion, T is back to the vet on tuesday to have a scan of her spleen and other organs to look for tumors, she is also having a bone marrow biopsy done, this will be done in her hip bone. Hopefully this will give a clear conclusion as to what is causing the problem.
    Basically I am scared, confused and cant imagine life without my beautiful dog, she's to young to die, it cant be her time yet.
    If anyone has had experiance with this conditon (good or bad) I would like to know, I'd like to know what we are in for. I just dont know where to turn, I cant speak without crying, I cant look at her without crying. Today on our way to the vet, she as usual has her nose out the window or I can see her in the rear view mirror - I dont want to look in my mirror and not see my dog :(
    Amy.
    I would also like to add that for about a week or 10 days she has been going in the garden and eating dirt - I kept finding mud piles about the house, at 1st I didnt realise what it was, and with 2 dogs an 7 cats, there are often unexplained things going on about my house! but I found a little hole in the garden Tia keeps going to and put 2 and 2 togther, from what I have red on the internet this is probally being done due to mineral defiency (anemia) which I know she is, I feel so god dam awful for her, I just want to fix her :(

#1 AmyT, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  2. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Although familiar with anaemia / pernicious anaemia in humans - but have never heard of this, and can see it is difficult to get much constructive information online.

From what I've gleaned from the information out there, it is quite possible the underlying cause can be treated - so easy as it is as an outsider to say try not to worry, I would, if you can, try not to panic too much at this stage.

I can imagine you are worried and confused, I think anyone would be in your shoes (I know how awful it is when our babies are ill and we can't directly do anything to help them).

You have your girl in the right hands by the sounds of it to get to the root of the problem - which means I am sure your vet will do everything in his power to find the underlying cause, and treat it if it is possible to treat.

Sorry - none of the above is probably of much use at all, but I didn't want to 'cut and run' - thinking of you at this difficult time, and hoping the vets can get to the underlying cause and treat it.

Do let us know, when you can, how things are going.

3. AmyT

AmyT PetForums Newbie

Hi swarthy,
    Thanks for your comments.
    Your right it is very hard trying to work out all the info on line!
    Some are quite positive others seem to be all doom and gloom - to be honest Im trying not to look anymore as it just makes me cry! I dont think im doing myself any favours by looking as it just seem to become more complicated.
    Im rubbish at staying positive and im impatient! I just want to know right now whats wrong and do something to help her and know that she will be OK.
    But I guess it is just a waiting game and the best thing I can do is try to be normal and not keep crying all over her, she's looking a bit fed up of that lol
    I'll let you know after tuesday when I have some clearer results what her prognosis is.
    Thanks again for taking the time to comment :001_smile:
    Amy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice