UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Non-prescription flea and worm treatment-UK?

10K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  raysh 
#1 ·
Is there is an effective flea/worming treatment in the UK that can be bought online without prescription. My vet is charging £22 for one prescription and we need one for each of our kittens (well they are 9 months old now and starting to venture out). I know the shelter said Bob Martin/Frontline are rubbish and not to bother. Interesting that Chillminx said Fipronil doesn't work is some areas in the UK, I am guessing that is what is in Frontline. We are in Yorkshire. Thank you for any recommendations. (Note: one of our cats has a very sensitive stomach, possible IBD).

#4 ·
@Lola Guyer - a wormer you can buy without a prescription is Drontal. It covers all types of intestinal worms found in UK cats. It comes as a rather large tablet, which is IME too big to get safely down the throat of a cat as a whole tablet.

https://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/drontal-cat-wormer

At the Shelter we crush the Drontal tablet to powder and add it to strong smelling food. But some of my own cats have smelled it in the food and refused it.

I prefer to use Milbemax total wormer as it is a very small tablet, easy to pill the cat with directly or as the tablet smells meaty it can easily be hidden in food when crushed.

Milbemax is only available on prescription and is expensive to buy from the vet (I think I paid £7 per tablet at the vet's). So it may be worth you doing what I do and getting a prescription from your vet for a year's supply (i.e. 4 tablets) then buying it from an online pet pharmacy. The vet will charge for the script but overall there will be a bit of a saving.

https://www.evetdrug.co.uk/pets/wor...t/milbemax-tablets-for-small-cats-and-kittens

#9 · (Edited)
For some reason I can't reply to people. Thank you everyone for your advice.

Chillminx: My vet charges £22 for a prescription! And one for each cat and will only give on a 4 month basis. Need new vet!? I honestly don't think I will get a tablet down the two of them. Is there a non-prescription effective wormer in spot on? And would you say Adavantage is a good spot on flea treatment? And for ticks?

And to cats with sensitive stomachs (possible IBD) have issues with spot on treatments at all? Might be a stupid question.

Thank you so much for your help!

#10 ·
For some reason I can't reply to people. Thank you everyone for your advice.

Chillminx: My vet charges £22 for a prescription! And one for each cat and will only give on a 4 month basis. Need new vet!? I honestly don't think I will get a tablet down the two of them. Is there a non-prescription effective wormer in spot on? And would you say Advantage is a good spot on flea treatment? And for ticks?
Thank you so much for your help!
Wow, £22 is expensive and for 4 months only! My vet charged me £15 for the script as I recall..but it covered a full year.

Advantage is a very good spot on flea treatment. It does not cover for ticks though. For that you would need either Bravecto (prescription only) spot on, or Frontline. Unfortunately Frontline is not always effective against fleas, as you mentioned earlier, but it is good for ticks.

I found the ticks to be such a nuisance on my cat every Spring, I decided to go with Bravecto. It is more expensive but only needs to be give once every 3 months. He has never had a tick since I began using Bravecto on him.

A non-prescription spot-on wormer that covers roundworms and tapeworms is Dronspot.

https://petwell.co.uk/dronspot-spot-on-for-cats.html

#11 ·
The other comments here have you covered for non-vet options. I just wanted to check if you've asked your vet if they do a care plan that includes it? I pay £10 a month at Vets4Pets for their complete care package, which includes flea and worming treatment as standard. It includes many other things like vaccinations, annual health checkup, money off a vet and nurse appointment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.