Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

No wonder we're spending so much money - the police are rubbish!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by classixuk, Jun 27, 2010.

1. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Hey guys,

Yesterday, whilst walking Paddy in the park, I found a gold watch on the floor. It looks reasonably expensive.

I asked a group of students nearby if they had misplaced their watch. They replied that they hadn't, but that I should treat it as "finders keepers". :mad:

Anyway, I examined the watch, and on the back there is an inscription saying "Special Dad" :(

I placed the watch in my doggy bag and let a few people in the park (regulars who I see each day) know that I had found a watch and to keep their ears open. I also said that I would place a notice up on the board at the park entrance with the salon number.

I called the police when I got in to let them know about the watch, but would they take a description? No sir.

They told me to take it to my local station when I had time and they would give me a receipt. They will then fill in some paperwork and issue a receipt to anyone who comes forward to claim the watch. I asked if I should place a notice in the park informing anyone who is searching for it that they should contact the local station? Nope. If someone rings in and reports it lost, they will deal with it afterwards. :confused1:

All this admin over a watch?

I thought the guy would take my name and number, a quick description of the watch (make/model/colour/inscription etc.) to let anyone know who might have called up that their watch was safely found.

Right now, anyone who calls will be told they have no record of the watch being found. :(

Do you think that I should just place notices up in the park, tell the park keepers about the watch, place an ad in the local newsagents and leave the watch in the salon safe for a few days or shall I take it to the police station and just hope the owner thinks to ring them?

The watch is obviously of at least sentimental value to a local person...I'd like to see it back in their hands rather than gathering dust before being auctioned off. :(

2. Personally I would not take it to the police, I would place an ad in the found section of the local paper (normally free). Obviously you need to keep certain identification marks to yourself to ensure that should anyone claim.

3. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Classix i think you know the answer to this.If you want a job done properly do it yourself.Waiting for the police to do anything that remotely entails helping the community is a thing of the past.I would keep the watch in your safe,and put up notices localy with a brief discription of the watch.:D

4. danielled

danielled Guest

My motto in this situation would be if you want something done you've got to do it yourself.:) I've had similar situations I have heard about in the family. and me and my dad are always useing this moto and it has become a thing wth us lol.

5. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

The police have to do it at the station so they can view it and fill out the neccessary paperwork. If no one claims it its yours.
    But I agree I think you should advertise it privately not describing it but letting the "owner" describe it to you.

6. rona

rona Guest

Also, if it's anything like here, the local police station won't be open very often :rolleyes:

7. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Thanks for your input guys.

What I'll do then is print off some A4 posters and go pin them up in the park this afternoon. I've just placed an ad on Gumtree and Oxl too.

I wasn't aware you can get a free ad in the local press for lost and found, so I'll check that out in a minute. I'll also ask the local newsagent if they'll put an advert in their window. Of course, I will also put one in the salon window seeing as it's in the middle of the village.

:)

8. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

I don't know where you live but the chances are that you spoke to a main call taking centre not the police stn or a police officer. If someone calls the police they will be advised to go to the local stn where it can be dealt with. The call takers cover whole shires..

as for the paper work, of course they have to do it, there has to be a paper trail for it so they cannot be accused of being corrupt or risk losing it. Don't blame the police, blame the system :rolleyes:

9. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

yeah I feel for the police (here anyway ) they have such a hard life threatening job yet get no thanks for it :( I have a sticker on my car saying " defend your police or defend yourself " haha :thumbup:

10. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

thank you :) I get so sick of people bashing us. It's a job at the end of the day, and yes there is a lot of paper work and red tape but we hate it just as much as the public.. go and ask any bobby what they would rather do.. be out catching burglars/dealers/shoplifters/general scum or giving out tickets.

can't do right for doing wrong..

Waterlily likes this.
  11. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

Your bosses are attending a half million pound piss up and conference this week in Manchester...tell them not us.

12. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

It's the gov that needs to give them more rights as well. I have so much praise for the cops near me I was having major strife and they were so caring and took the time to help me above and beyond what they had to.

13. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

Like all big wigs, they don't have a clue about the front line. I'd love to see them out in a uniform for a week. They will get b**t r***d

14. jo1234

jo1234 PetForums Member

Don't blame those on the "frontline" so to speak. Unfortunately it is the bosses in high places - those who do not need to deal with the wrath of the public - that make the rules. Cops have the same frustrations and concerns that members of the public have re the papertrail/tickets etc making it harder and harder to do the job.

15. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Do what you feel is best :)

I don't like the bashing of the police force. Imagine what state we would be in without them. Yes sometimes they are useless as I found out last night but I can't really fault them. My CID officer has been a sweetheart :thumbup:

I hope you can find the owner of the watch!

16. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

The Yanks have got it right...let the public vote for the chiefs not the old boys network...then the incompetent ones can be voted out.

We need men like Joe Arpaio...a hard line sheriff who makes prisoners work
    and self sufficient.Not the tossers we have with their politically correct crap and speed cameras.Why don't we have men like this...WHY WHY WHY?????

Sheriff Joe Arpaio's Chain Gang Tent City*-*coldhardtruth.net

17. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

exactly. prison should be just that.. our justice system is a joke and everyone knows it

18. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I find lower level police officers around here are crap. Only the ones higher up who care more about their jobs who seem to put a bit more effort in. One of our police stations is never open at all, apparently there are two officers always there (its in a town of 12,000) despite never being open or answering the phone. My local one I have never in my life seen open (its right across the road from my school) and the lower level cops seem to make a lot of botch ups in general from what I've seen so they will get a bashing from me lol!!

Classix I'd just keep it for a month or so, keep the notices up and if you have no luck then give it to the police.

19. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

Seen where exactly? in the press?

20. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

What do you mean, seen what?

#20 GoldenShadow, Jun 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice