Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

No walks for a weeks?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Biscuit123, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Biscuit123

Biscuit123 PetForums VIP

Hi!

So another post about pookie! So for long and personal reasons I'm going to be leaving at 8:30 every morning and returning back to the house (where pookie is) for around three weeks. Some nights I might not even come home at all. And then when I'm home it's probably going consist of a very tight schedule of homework, hamster care, eating, sleeping. Some days I might be able to take pookie where I'm going for 3+ hours. But not for the first two weeks or so. I'm going to be really really busy. And not really have time for walks. I know the responsibility of keeping a dog is walking them or some other exercise every day, this won't be forever. It's just for a little while. I might be able to fit in a short walk on the weekend but it's not very likely. So while I am home what can I do for pookie to keep her happy? She really likes to hang out with me and I feel bad.

Thanks! And please don't bash me saying, oh the responsibility of keeping a dog is hard! I understand and expect that! I wasn't really planning on being busy these next three weeks and it won't be forever.

2. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

Can you not get up early and take her a walk in the morning? When you say you aren't going to be coming home at all some days does that mean pookie will be home alone from 8.30am til you get back the following day?

Torin. and Lexiedhb like this.
  3. Biscuit123

Biscuit123 PetForums VIP

I can get up early and have been getting up early. But I meant to say 7:30. I'm a minor and my parents won't let be go on walks alone, especially in the early morning when it's dark. Usually my parents go with me and walk another dog, but there going to be equally busy. And pookie will see someone come home, whether it's my parents or brother. But probably oh for a few hours.

4. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Assuming you are in the UK, it's still light-ish from 6:00am currently........although it's obviously fading fast now.

If you are a minor then really you parents should be taking responsibility.

Torin. and Katalyst like this.
  5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

If you are not allowed to walk on your own it is not your dog so it is up to your parents to walk her which presumably they do anyway. If you are having to leave early and have long days away you/they will have to get up an hour earlier and walk the dogs and get someone to look in on them if they are being left a lot. Unfortunately a child cannot have full responsibility for a dog as they tend to go for sleep overs and have other interests and then leave home and leave the dog behind so the parents have to be fully on board over looking after the dog which includes walks.

Chatcat likes this.
  6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I think not. The avatar is of barrel-racing which is not much of a 'thing' over here. My money's on USA.

7. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

The OP is in the States.

8. Biscuit123

Biscuit123 PetForums VIP

I live in the US. My parents thinks ok if pookie doesn't get any walks for three weeks. It gets lightens at 6:40 over here.

9. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

So get up at 6.15 and play/train in your yard before you have to go to work.

Katalyst and lorilu like this.
  10. Laney_Lemons

Laney_Lemons PetForums Senior

im not sure of your set up but your information above is very confusing to me,

will your dog have company atall or will she be left on her own? is your parents around the feed her? spend time with her and toilet breaks?

I would say you would really need to get up earlier and take the dog out before you leave at 8.30, if you dont mind me asking how old are you? its just alot of school kids walk to buses etc around 7.30 over here however im sure of how safe you are where you live ....even a 15mins sniff around for her at 8am? However Please NEVER put yourself in danger if it unsafe for you to do so.

Could you go with your brother? Obv depending on his age? could your brother help?

Your parents really should step up and help you, they agreed to take on a dog therefore they should bear the burden when you cannot, they really shouldn't let the full responsibility lie with you especially if you are a minor.

without a walk for 3 weeks is not going to harm the dog, not ideal however if hes anything like mine without a walk for a day hes bouncing off the walls the next day with pent up energy. ​

What about a dog walker? although this depends on funds?

Torin. likes this.
  11. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I guess they'll find out different when the dog starts tearing up the house won't they. How about if you arrange to have a friend come and tend to Pookie's needs while you are so busy. Since there are other people in the house she won't be alone, but she is going to need attention and exercise. Work it out with a friend to come over daily to take Pookie out for a walk and play and to make sure she's being taken proper care of.

However it seems to me that at 6:40 you can take Pookie out for a walk and play and still have plenty of time before 8:30 to leave the house. Have the friend come in the afternoon.

#11 lorilu, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  12. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

You have a big back yard don't you? I seem to remember you saying you had an acre? You wouldn't have to go far to let her have a run around and some playtime before you leave.

Torin. likes this.
  13. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

Will your parents not get up early to walk the other dog in the morning? I can understand them not wanting you out early in the dark on your own, but if it is not going to be possible to walk the dogs at their normal time then could they not just do it earlier?

Sometimes life just doesn`t ruin to routine, I`ve been in situations where I am flitting I and out not having time to sit down and eat myself just making sure I can get the animals fed and yes I have had to prioritise and the dogs have had to end up with a quick `around the block` style walk just to get them out.

I don`t think its the end of the world if they don`t get the same amount of attention for a short while or even if they don`t get walked but in your situation if your parents are making the rules (understandably) of when you can go out then they really need to sit down with you and come up with a plan of action for the next three weeks

It can be done, as I said I`ve done it and I`m sure countless members on here have been through situations where they just feel they are barely at home but you are going to need back up from your parents or other family members.

14. Boxerluver30

Boxerluver30 Hound Lover

I agree with others who say your parents need to step up here and take responsibility if you are not able to. If that involves getting up early to walk her, even if that's just a quick walk around the block then so be it. Or can you organise someone to come and check in on her during the day? Or yes play with her in the backyard.

15. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

No. It is not okay to dump a dog for 3 weeks.

You have said in previous posts you have land attached to your property, so get up early and spend time exercising your dog before you leave.

Blitz and lullabydream like this.
  16. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Add me to the list who thinks a few weeks of less attention and exercise is not the end of the world.
    I've had dogs long enough to go through surgeries, emergencies, children being born, etc. There are times when dogs are going to get cheated out of walks and attention, and it's okay. A stable, well-adjusted dog should be able to - adjust.

That said, it's also your (dog owner's) job to make appropriate arrangements to make sure the dog is getting adequate care, might not be ideal care, but you have to do your best, and hire/ask for help as needed.
    We've been a 3 dog household off and on for a few weeks while a friend sorts through a tough time. She could keep the dogs with her, but they're far less stressed with us and are getting much more attention at our house than they would (temporarily) at hers.

I do think it's important as pet owners to have arrangements in place before the crisis happens. No one's life runs smoothly 24/7 (and if yours does please tell me your secrets). So having a plan ahead of time for what you're going to do if someone ends up in the hospital, or on an emergency trip or whatever is part and parcel of responsible dog ownership IMO.

17. Biscuit123

Biscuit123 PetForums VIP

Someone will be there to feed breakfast and dinner. And come over to take her for potty breaks. I run her outside in the backyard in the mornings. I wake up at 6:00 and spend half an hour with playing and training pookie. I'm 15 years old. Honestly we're going to be very very busy. I've made plans to be able to walk her three times a week. And I'll play with her before I leave every morning.

Tyson1919 and lorilu like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice