Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

No use of the front leg

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by geordief, Apr 6, 2008.

1. geordief

geordief PetForums Newbie

What could this be down to? As the little daschund we have is 15 years and 5 months the vet has suggested mainly nursing care.She did test (negative) for Cushings disease and his liver was quite bad which apparently rules out a high protein diet to counteract some muscle wastage he has.
    Again he has bad arthritis but I don't feel the metacam made much difference.
    I actually saw what happened when he lost his use of the leg.
    He just stumbled in the kitchen and has never risen to walk since.
    We have to carry him outside to go to the toilet and to eat-as well as taking him outside for a change of air whenever he is disatisfied (you have to guess what he wants)
    Since the loss of movement I have isolated the problem to the right front leg and am a little unclear as to whether the left side was similarly affected as he has gained in strength and now can shuffle along the kitchen floor on his knees (ie elbows) as well as finding it easier to go to the toilet outside (that requires a positioning and a tensing of the body to pass stools)
    So I am wondering if he may regain the use of his right leg ever.And if so what can I do to facilitate that?
    Could he have suffered a stroke?
    Could he have a cancer in the shoulder area?

2. clare7577

clare7577 Guest

Hi sorry your dog is so poorly,dont take this the wrong way but at 15 shouldnt you consider possibly putting him to sleep? quality of life is paramount and it doesnt sound like he has much.If he cant walk or go to the toilet by himself it really doesnt sound good.Personally i couldnt bear to watch one of my animals living this way,i think that vets sometimes prolong un-nessasary treatment when really it would be in the animals best interest to be euthanased.

3. geordief

Well he doesn't actually seem to be suffering and the vet more or less said that no further treatment was really advisable.But she said that certainly he shouldn't be put to sleep as his form was good aside from this problem.
    The thing is , he has actually improved since she said that and I wonder if he has a chance of regaining strength in the one leg that is letting him down.
    Of course if he starts to actually suffer then he will have to be put down.But with the way things are he is learning to get others to do things for him and so in some respects he is doing even better since this happened to him than he was before (little interest in walking over the past year or so)

4. carol

carol PetForums VIP

have you thought of acupuntcher might help

5. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

When I started reading your post I imediately thought stroke!
    It is possible and theres not much you can do to regain proper use of the leg.
    Have you thought of hydrotherapy?

6. griffpan

griffpan PetForums VIP

Hi there

I just wanted to wish you well with your daxie hope he gets better asap for you ;)

We have a Lurcher aged nearly 13 and on 27 March while on a walk he sat down and just couldn't get back up, his back legs had become paralysed in seconds. Anyway after tests and mri the problem was found and it was a piece of disc that had shot through his spine.
    He has spent a week at a referral hospital and came home to us on Thursday afternoon. He is on synulox and rimadyl. At the mo he cannot get up unaided, we have a sling to help as well as a physio programme to do with him. He will also go for hydrotherapy and physio once a week.
    The next 4 - 6 weeks are crucial as it's hoped he will gain strength and recover to the extent where he will have a slight limp with his right hind leg but thats all. He needs crate rest to aid this.
    Our regular vet and the vets and physio's at the referral hospital agree that it's worth giving it a try after weighing up all the pro's & cons. He's always been very fit and healthy and he's not in pain at all now. He's got a good appetite and the only time he gets a bit down is when we leave the room with the other dogs, we think thats because he thinks we're leaving him like we did in the hospital.

7. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

I thought the same also ( stroke ) or it could be nerve damage , I know dogs that amaze vets all the time by overcoming ilness and injury that in truth they have been written off . A client of mine has a boxer only 2 yrs had a really bad accident was told by vets and the royal colledge of vets that his prognosis was very poor and he may never regain full use of his front leg , but determination from his owners and excellent care meant that he has stunned everyone by walking again , she massaged his leg back into a straight line over time . Maybe massage would help to stimulate blood flow and muscle as prolonged inactivity in a limb means deteriation of muscle tone too , hopefully he will make little improvements all the time or maybe he wont but im sure you will continue to love and do the best for him untill either nature takes its course or you interviene yourselves
    Good luck

8. geordief

just wondering if there would be a special treatment if it was his wrist joint that was the weak spot.
    I have articulated his paw and front leg for the past week or so and there is a big improvement in mobility .But he does not actually fully extend his right paw but rather shuffles around tobogan-like for up to 4 or 5 feet.
    If I carry on working his limb will he soon (ever? eventually?) "lift off" ?
    I think some kind of a brace around the wrist might help.
    Is there such a thing?
    If I get down on my knees and lead/follow him while holding his wrist folded the right way for walking he does walk quite normally but of course this is impractical and I would worry about forcing him (unless that was good exercise in itself rather than just a way of pinpointing where his problem lies.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice