Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

no pups

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by mwilliams, Jan 25, 2012.

1. mwilliams

mwilliams PetForums Newbie

Hi, anyone have any experience in having a bitch who has successfully produced a litter then after using the drug to suppress a season ever get their bitch in whelp again ? Any sugestions for the best hormone regulator ? I have read a post regarding reducing food then increasing shortly before the season starts which makes sense as far as nature goes....anymore ideas ? Thanks.

2. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

I've never used such a drug and not sure I would ever want to, but I can remember my vet talking about it when I got my eldest (nearly 9 years ago now) and saying that they would never prescribe it to someone who might want to breed in the future.

3. mwilliams

Hi there, i didnt give it, my dog was being looked after by someone else at the time. I would ever use it either specially knowing i would want another litter :(

4. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

:( did you know she was having it? I can't remember why my vet even mentioned it (I think it was with pushing to neuter) - I can remember looking into it a few years later with a bitch who I won't be breeding from, but did show in case she came into season over Crufts - but she didn't so it never arose - even then, I would be rather dubious of any drug that interferes with nature :(

I do know of one or two who show but don't want to breed their dogs who have used it, but I am sure it can't be healthy to do it repeatedly :(

#4 swarthy, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  5. mwilliams

unfortunately i had to be out of the country and no, i didnt know she was going to be given it and to be honest the person who gave it would have known i would have wanted it but hey thats a different story. I want to hear a success story of someone who may have done it without realising the consequences but ended up with a litter in the end and how they got there.....cant you tell me a fib to boost my hopes, lol.

6. mwilliams

i meant to say she would have known i would NOT have wanted it. :p

7. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

ouch :( as I said - my vets did indicate that whilst such treatments exist - they can cause fertility problems

How many times have you tried to get her in whelp and failed? if it was just the once, could it just be that you were unlucky?

One of my girls mothers, reabsorbed her first litter, then had a litter - it was another three years before she had her 2nd litter and I believe this was not through lack of trying - it just didn't seem it was meant to be - then one last attempt and she had a lovely litter of which several pups have done very well in the showring - so worth waiting for

#7 swarthy, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  8. PennyGC

PennyGC PetForums VIP

My Sophie's dam had this drug before her breeder tried for pups - Sophie's litter was just her and one other, the next litter was about 12 I think so it made a significant difference - these are GSDs so usually big litters. She didn't have any problems conceiving, just the small litter.

9. Darth

Darth PetForums Member

I used it about 20 years ago and my bitch went on to be mated just once and had 6 healthy pups.

10. Bea

Bea PetForums Member

A friend has used it more than once as she kept a male from first litter, he must be 3 now, and the bitch did have a litter last year, 12 in first litter and 9 second litter. I don't know any other details though :) this was a working Lab.

11. claire & the gang

claire & the gang PetForums Senior

A friend of mine used it on a bitch who`s seasons were mid shooting season. (working gun dog). She has had 2 healthy litters from her since.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice