Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

No paperwork adoption! Help!

Discussion in 'Dog Rescue and Adoption' started by Alice Broughton, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Alice Broughton

Alice Broughton PetForums Newbie

URGENT HELP NEEDED! I've recently shown interest in buying a dog online. I have gone through all of the admin and I am agreeing to go visit her (with my boyfriend) at her home. She is micro chipped and has had up to date vaccinations. However she was given the dog by her boss and she is now moving house to a place where she can't keep dogs. How to I go about adopting this dog??

2. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums Senior

My advice would be: don't, unless you REALLY know dogs and can make an informed assessment of the dog's natureimmediately when you meet it (almost impossible to do). Do you know this person? How do you know you can you trust her? She could be hiding all sorts of problems (psychological (temperament, etc) and medical) with the dog that will only come out much later on. The best thing would be for her to hand it over to a suitable rescue home (eg, RSPCA, Dog's Trust, etc.) That way, the dog can be assessed properly and a home found which will suit it. I presume she is not selling it to you, but giving it?
    Similarly - from her point of view - she's just willing to hand this poor dog over to a complete stranger? It doesn't say much for her (as trustworthy as you may be). It may all be very legit, but it may not - and the best thing you can do is to walk away (perhaps recommending she hands the dog over to a rescue.)
    I realise it's tough if you've set your heart on this dog - but that is really dangerous because (if you're like me) you run the risk of your heart overruling your head. Even if the dog doesn't seem quite right, you may think, "oh, well, it'll probably be fine" and you could find yourself with a real problem. However, there are LOTS of dogs in rescue centres looking for good homes, so why not go to one of those who will hopefully find a suitable dog for your needs/circumstances?
    If you do decide not to follow my advice, at the very least you will need the chip details (ie, who is the dog registered with - though this can be got from a vet when they scan it), the vaccination book and any other documentation. I would get a signed letter from her, saying she has handed the dog over to you (get her boss's address as well as some chip agencies demand proof that you are now the owner of the dog before they will change the details and she may not have had the chip details updated.) If she says the dog was not chipped, she was (and her boss was) breaking the law (and it's another reason to question how legit this is) - you will need to get it chipped. But, as I say, I think you'd be foolish to take this dog.
    Sorry, but it is simly not advisable to buy dogs online.

#2 Ian246, Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I actually would far prefer to rehome a dog privately rather than go to a rescue. Different opinions but it is really up to you. I would make very sure that the dog belongs to her and everything is kosher and I would also ask to have the dog on trial and take it to your vet for a thorough check over. In fact I would also ask her to give permission for her vet to let you know its history.

Magyarmum likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice