Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

No interest in chews

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by spamvicious, Nov 29, 2020.

1. spamvicious

spamvicious PetForums Senior

So Star is 3 1/2 and is just not interested in anything that she can’t eat instantly. I’ve tried filled hooves, pigs ears, pizzles, kongs etc.

It’s like she doesn’t know what to do with them. I gave her a pigs ear a few days ago and it’s still sat on the floor. She will occasionally throw it about or run around with it like her other toys.

I want something she can just chill out with for fifteen minutes or whatever. But I can’t find anything.

When I last saw the vet I asked her to check Star’s jaw so see if there were any issues. She said she couldn’t find anything and suggested it could be a result of her being attacked when she was six months old.

Any suggestions?. I just want stuff to calm her down like when she comes back from a walk a bit hyped up. She will use a snuffle mat but that’s over in a couple of minutes.

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

What are you putting in the snuffle mat? Something more desirable might have an effect. Cream cheese for instance.

3. Silverpaw

Silverpaw PetForums Senior

Could try using a likimat.Aswell as taking a time to clear,licking is supposed to be soothing.

tabelmabel likes this.
  4. spamvicious

She has a treat cut up into small pieces but it doesn’t take her long to find them and eat them.

5. spamvicious

I have one but wasn’t sure what to put on it. She doesn’t like peanut butter because she’s the fussiest dog in the world.

6. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

What about wet dog food, frozen, in the lickimat?

Or slightly softer chews like braided ostrich or lamb?

Edited to add, JR Pet Products who make these have a Black Friday sale, 20% off, but it ends today.

#6 JoanneF, Nov 29, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  7. spamvicious

I’ll have a look at their site thanks.

8. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Will she have something crispy? Like a fish skin stick (not the twisted ones) or puffed jerky - wont last super long, but it might be a good starting point :)
    Or could she be over faced by the size of the chews? Dont know what you've already tried, but if pigs ears are a no-go, maybe downsizing to a pig snout or a rabbits ear? Furry ones for extra interest!

Elseways something super duper tasty (sardines? Wet food? Spready cheese? Liver paste?) in an easier kong toy, lickimat or busybudy flying saucer thing. Something that's not so difficult that she gets frustrated and loses interest :)

tabelmabel and JoanneF like this.
  9. Silverpaw

Silverpaw PetForums Senior

Would she eat something like scrambled egg squashed into her likimat,Maci has it made with water or any 'soft' food that she'll eat.

spamvicious likes this.
  10. spamvicious

I’m going to PAH this afternoon to have a look. She’s had a rabbits ear in the past and did eat it. It freaked me out a bit as I’m veggie lol. I don’t mind getting her another to try. In the past I’ve made the mistake of buying loads of something than she won’t touch them again.

BlueJay likes this.
  11. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Chicken or duck feet or necks might be other easy crispy ones to try if you can cope ha; P@H usually sell them :)

Does she usually eat dry food?
    Guru and I think Gentle are both cold pressed foods, and they make chews out of the same stuff, so might be an option if she doesn't see other chews as food

12. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I can confirm Gentle is cold pressed.

13. spamvicious

She eats butchers wet food. I saw some lamb twists in pah but they still look pretty tough for her. I’m going to order some treats online like rabbits ears. She is so fussy it’s unbelievable. She will regularly turn down treats if she doesn’t want them.

14. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Teddy sometimes takes a while with the larger treats. He’ll just carry them round for a bit and bury them round the house and eventually eat them (can take him days to get round to it!).

the things he’ll eat pretty much straight away are: chicken feet, duck feet, duck necks, beef slices, turkey feet (big so last him longer but I think they’re crispy and chewable so he likes them), rabbit ears. I think there are others but can’t think off the top of my head! Maybe try something like that. I’m vegan but can put up with the animal stuff for the dog as he does love them :Hilarious

I would maybe try a lickimat too as they’re a bit more obvious than a kong? Once she’s happily eating easier stuff you can try and up it a bit! We buy JR pate and use that in kongs and stuff. The fish ones are usually quite soft so easy to spread (we use the firmer pates for treats)

tabelmabel and spamvicious like this.
  15. spamvicious

Will have a look into it thanks. So I was randomly in Tesco and something just told me to pick up this treat. Brought it home and she’s spent ten minutes eating it and is looking for more. It won’t be a super regular treat as I doubt it’s the healthiest but it’s good to have something she likes. Though I’m sure if I buy it again she won’t eat it lol.
    https://www.goodboy.co.uk/our-products/jumbo-chicken-carrot-stick/

16. Bukhara

Bukhara PetForums Junior

My little girl Trisha is similar. She tends to be unimpressed by food which can't be eaten with minimal fuss. Treats would often go days before they were eventually eaten, no matter how they were flavoured.

However, when Carla came into the home, she (Carla) was more of a typical dog. Every minute of her life consists of either sleeping or finding something to eat. This has motivated Trisha to finish her regular food otherwise it will be gone.

With bigger items such as bones or chews, Trisha will watch Carla who will be munching away. When Carla trots off for a drink or a snooze, Trisha will make her move. If the food is pre-chewed and softened up, this is much more appetising for Trisha.

Of course, I wouldn't expect a human to do this with typical dog treats but it unexpectedly worked for Trisha.

tabelmabel and DanWalkersmum like this.
  17. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

I have spread chappie tinned dog food in likki mats before and that works well - though not as long lasting as peanut butter (i see star does not like that!)

She sounds like a tricky customer!

spamvicious likes this.
  18. LotsaDots

LotsaDots PetForums Senior

My terrier is fussy with chews, drives me mad! If you have a Just For Pets anywhere near you they have a dog pic n mix it's ideal for finding what they like without having to buy a big packet. Tripe sticks are good if you don't mind the smell!
    Dottie's loves those horrible rawhide chicken twists from Aldi, she only eats the chicken bit and leaves the rawhide.

spamvicious likes this.
  19. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

I’d try some sort of raw meat/bone for her to try. Something like a duck/chicken neck or a rib. I know natures menu does these in bags. My local pah don’t sell them but mole valley farmers do.
    Or you could get some chicken wings or a different small bird wing to try :)

spamvicious likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice