Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

No food and water

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by xxsarahpopsxx, May 23, 2010.

1. xxsarahpopsxx

xxsarahpopsxx PetForums VIP

Ok this may make me sound stupid but I am watching the program 24/7 and the rspca are always prosecuting because of no food and water. Now i agree with the water part - they should always have access to water
    This particular case, the dogs have a wee bit of water but no food down, and they are trying to prosecute on this - fair enough the dogs are slightly underweight but now drastically.

I have always have water down for geordie, however the only time she has food down is in the morning and at teatime. Her bowl is then lifted and tidied away. She is also quite lean.

My question is how can they prosecute on this basis alone because if they are under the same routine as me then they could be loved pets. Do they expect dogs to be allowed to always have a bowl of food?

2. jen24

jen24 Banned

We do the same as you, we feed toby in the morning and evening and always remove his bowl after each feed. i didnt think you were supposed to leave a bowl of food all day?!!:confused:

3. xxsarahpopsxx

xxsarahpopsxx PetForums VIP

I know some people let them eat whenever they want as they dont gorge themselves however most people i know do it the same way as us :confused:

4. zoeeoo

zoeeoo PetForums Member

my mam leave her food down for her 2 spaniels they eat when ever they get full morning and night but mine lot the 2 puppies would keep eatting untill they sooo full they bellys will pop lol
    so i pick the bowls up after them.

5. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

I wach it too and i think it's based on living conditions/state of the dog etc too....last week they took 2 dogs who had been left in a flat on their own because the owners feared for their lives ....later reunited one but not the other with their owners....they have to gather evidence first though...

6. Haley

Haley PetForums Member

Hi, I once had a behaviouralist to see my girl (when she was young) to try and help with the fact that she would run off when on a scent.

Anyway, he told us to always pick the food bowl up as the dog would see itself as boss? However, I only pick it up in the summer time (flies etc.) but other than right, rightly or wrongly, I let her eat when she wants to (like me). She sometimes eats it in one go (depends if there is a treat in the bowl) but other times I leave it to her.

;)

7. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

We pick up our dogs food bowls - if they don't eat it they wait until the next meal time. The dogs have full water bowls in the lounge, kitchen, conservatory and garden so they are never with out. And when walking at the moment because it's so hot I offer them water at least every 15 minutes.

I think the RSPCA look at living conditions including water always available and that the owner has dog food in the house to feed the dog.

8. Kris M

Kris M PetForums Newbie

I leave Max's bowl out all day but only because he was a rubbish eater when he was younger. He would have a bowl of food for the whole weeks. I was going through a 3kg bag of food in 3 months.

I was always advised to take the food away if he didnt eat it but if I had of done that he would never have eaten. My parents have dogs and I Know they take their bowls away, as we did with out other dog.

9. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

They wouldnt just go on wether a bowl of food is available or not. It would depend on the condition of the dog and the cause of the poor condition.
    If I left food down Id come home to 3 exploded dogs and kibble everywhere!!LOL

10. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

It wouldn't just go on that water is much more important and if the dogs are in good health they wouldn't worry about not having food there

11. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Holly has 2 bowls of water left down at a time. And her food is picked up after eating.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice