Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

No concept of fetch...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Tawny75, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Tawny75

Tawny75 PetForums VIP

I am after some advice. We have had our fab Rommie rescue for 4 months now and all has been going swimmingly. She is 8 months old and training has been steady, we have been working on recall using a whistle and she comes running as I use cheese as a high value treat and she will do anything for a bit of cheddar. However, she has no idea about running after a ball and bringing it back. If we throw a ball or anything she watches and then sits and looks at us. Can I please have some tips on how to teach her to how to play fetch?

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Retrieving isnt an in built desire in many breeds.

If you want to train one, then have a read up on back chaining (its basically reverse fetch as the very last thing you do is actually throw the toy), but prepare to have a dog that doesnt really get any enjoyment out of it.

I back chained and my dog will retrieve to hand, but after two throws he couldnt give a toss. He's better in the house with no sniffs to be had, but it has to involve a really high value bit of food.

Also look at what toy you use - mine will not touch balls unless its one he finds. He's better the fetching soft toys as he likes to have a good shake of it too.

ShibaPup, Torin., Tawny75 and 2 others like this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Jack’s never seen the point of Fetch ;)

His response?

Nah, can’t be bothered :D

Tawny75, kimthecat and lullabydream like this.
  4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I back-chained it with one of my dogs. She'll now fetch a few times before deciding she's had enough of that. Didn't bother teaching my other dog, he just looks at the ball :rolleyes:

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Ned will chase after whatever i throw, and he'll either do a sudden divert away from it at the last moment, or will simply roll on it. He rolls on everything.

6. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

Some dogs are just not fetch oriented
    Perversely, Ive had a pointer, that wouldn't fetch for love nor money
    And
    a mastiff who would play fetch all day:Facepalm

Some dogs are just wierd:Hilarious

Tawny75, kimthecat and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

If you do want to teach your dog to play fetch @Twiggy really has brilliant advice.

Tawny75, kimthecat and O2.0 like this.
  8. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Personally I'd teach her to enjoy chasing a ball before you teach fetch, which is a bit more complicated. You can buy 'lotus' balls (Pawstrading or Amazon sell them) which are designed so that you can put a tasty treat in the middle; I use strong cheddar. Another way is to use an old tennis ball (as long as your dog isn't so big there is a danger of swallowing it) make a slit, squeeze it open and insert a piece of cheese. If your dog sniffs and shows interest say something like "what's this" to get her attention and squeeze open the ball above her nose so that the cheese drops out. It' s a brilliant way of getting them to play with a ball and one I used with my pupils years before Lotus balls were invented. Another method I have used successfully is to use a flatish tuggy toy (something you can easily balance a piece of cheese or liver cake on) and let the dog eat the treat from it. After several goes gently, to start with, move the tuggy a little way along the floor and the dog should follow it to get the treat. If all goes well quite quickly you should be able to move the tuggy further and faster until the dog is really grabbing it.
    Hope that gives you some ideas.

lullabydream, Tawny75 and O2.0 like this.
  9. Tawny75

Tawny75 PetForums VIP

Thank you all very much for the advice, here is my lovely girl to say thank you too. 20210326_080632.jpg

10. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

My dogs response. fetch it yourself :Hilarious

Lurcherlad and Tawny75 like this.
  11. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

So sweet. :Kiss

Tawny75 likes this.
  12. lullabydream

@Tawny75 Trixie is beautiful... How's the rest of the Potter household coping now?

Tawny75 likes this.
  13. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Aww she's lovely. My daughter took on a Romanian rescue last year.

Tawny75 and lullabydream like this.
  14. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

The Schnauzer boys love me throwing ball and toys but are hopeless at bring them back to me. Gwylim sometimes will but only if it's one of my gardening gloves.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tawny75 likes this.
  15. Tawny75

Tawny75 PetForums VIP

We are doing okay, we have had some ferret losses due to old age. This week we lost Harry and Gil which means we only have Luna and Ron now. Severus and Lily are putting Trixie firmly in her place and all is quietish!

Thank you for asking x

lullabydream likes this.
  16. lullabydream

Sorry about the loss of Harry and Gil, @PawsOnMe would occasionally show her ferrets here. So quite a few of us would ahhhh and oooo over them and I know you have done the same in CC

Severus and Lily have done really well, so too Trixie so you all have done amazingly especially having time apart due to Covid-19 and family. Glad it's all working out.

Tawny75 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice