Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

No clients!!

Discussion in 'Dog Walking' started by Doggiedavid, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Doggiedavid

Doggiedavid PetForums Newbie

I am new to the dog walking business. I’ve set up my website, Facebook page and to a more limited extent Instagram. The website and Facebook are updated regularly and have been going for around 6 weeks now. The website appears to be optimised for SEO.
    I’ve advertised on Googleads and Facebook ads. I’ve advertised on numerous directories and local selling pages, have magnetic car signs, leaflets in the pet shops and local shops in the area and also a hoodie with the company logo on, which I wear when walking my own dog and talk to other dog walkers wearing. But...no clients and not even any contact from anyone!
    What more can I do? The local dog walkers in the area are turning clients away as they’re busy so there’s definitely room for another dog walker in the area.

2. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

What are you offering that is different to anyone else?

In my area based on social media there seems to be a demand for people who want 1-2-1 walking or their dog to be walked in pairs or very small groups. I think people are becoming savvy to those dog walkers that take 6 or more dogs out in a van and let them run riot.

3. rona

rona Still missing my boys

If the other walkers are turning people away then this is your avenue. I have filled up the books of 2 new local walkers by passing them the enquiries I couldn't fill

4. Doggiedavid

I offer group walks only at lunchtimes and then I’m happy to offer group walks, single walks, 30 min walks outside of the lunchtime walks. However, reading your comments ladbradrk and then looking at my website I don’t think I’m specific enough on the services page exactly what kind of walks/number in a group I provide so will update the website to give more information. Thank you. That lack of information may not have been enough for visitors to the site.

Rona - the other dog walkers have said they’ll pass any clients they can’t take my way but I’m yet to see anything.

I know it takes time to build up a business but I had expected at least one enquiry by now.

5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Could you borrow a couple of dogs and get photos and video of them out for a walk in a nice place with you. It looks like you are doing everything right so it is a shame you are not getting any business. I take it you are insured and that you have plenty of dog experience.

6. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

No help with your query apart from the fact that your efforts can't be reaching the correct place for some reason.

Have you checked the SEO is definitely working? https://blog.monitorbacklinks.com/seo/seo-check/ There are a few places out there that will do free checks - I'm sure they charge at some point but there seem to be trial versions.

Just a small point - is your insurance company happy with the magnetic signs? My sister looked into this for her car and her insurance said they wouldn't cover it because of the risk of them coming off, she had to get stickers.

7. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

I think you're doing all you can.

Perhaps emphasis that you are prepared to walk single dogs or just pairs.

I think there are many owners like me, who wouldn't want their dog walked as part of a group, and some dogs who couldn't be walked as part of a group.

8. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

I take it you are on google maps? That's how a lot of my clients find me.

Also, as well as other dog walkers having your details to pass clients along, it's worth making contact with other pet professionals too. I have a few groomers & dog boarders that I have gotten to know and am friendly with now, and we promote & recommend each other to our clients. Just check them out first and make sure they are quality professionals and people you are happy to be associated with!

rona likes this.
  9. catzndogs

catzndogs PetForums Newbie

I've just recently set up too & by chance met a fellow dog walker today who told me he has a private FB group for local dog walkers (about 20 in total). He only does group walks & turns down a lot of solo walk requests but he farms out the requests via the FB group to others who are looking for new clients. He's going to add me to the group which is great. Might be something similar in your area so maybe worth contacting other dog walkers to check?

MichelleS likes this.
  10. Doggiedavid

Blitz - yes fully insured with doggie experience. I’ve also using my own dogs and friends and family pets on my website and Facebook page.

MilleD - I’ve used a few of the free SEO checker websites. The website scores highly but the only issue is the backlinks or lack of. I’ve been trying to sort those but it can take a while for the internet to pick them all up. I wasn’t aware of the car insurance though! Will need to check that.

Linda - I’ve updated my website to state small groups and individual walks available so it’s clear what I offer.

Magpie - yes on Google maps too. And an advertising with a local groomer.

Catzndogs - thanks for the suggestion. I’ll have a look around.

I’m just wondering what more I can do to encourage the clients. How long on average did it take for you to get your first client? Am I too eager given it’s only been a couple of months?

11. Beverley McIntyre

Beverley McIntyre PetForums Newbie

Hi it's been a while, are you now up & running?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice