Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

no babies yet

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by RachyBobs, May 7, 2010.

1. RachyBobs

RachyBobs PetForums VIP

Shes laid flat out on her bed and slept all day.. is this a good or bad thing? :confused:

[​IMG]

2. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

She's fine.... they get so tired in the later days.

Signs of early labour are hard to spot in cats... especially if you're used to dogs. They may pant, but many don't. You may see a 'show' but cats being so fastidious, you're more likely to miss it than see it. Some cats go off their food when birth is imminent - others will eat a 3-course meal minutes before the first kitten arrives. Some relax, bout others get extra lively and want to be out climbing trees! (not advisable!).

If she will let you take her temperature (only ever had one girl that would let me take that liberty!!) you notice a drop in temp 12-ish hours before first stage labour - as you do with dogs.

Just make sure she is kept indoors - preferably confined to the room you want her to give birth in. My girl managed to slip out & disappear last year and I ended up panicking & leafletting the whole area thinking she had escaped and was giving birth under someone's garden shed! 12 hours later I discovered her in a tiny inaccessible corner in my spare room with her 6 babies. She had totally ignored all my searching and calling and eventually came out demaning food & water!

Litter tray provided of course, in the room of choice. Provide some nice comfy nests in boxes if you haven't already done so.

She may want you there at the birth or like mine, perfectly happy to do it all on her own. There wasn't a speck of blood or mess in the little place she'd found, on top of a pile of paper files behind a roll of carpet!

Sure you will be back here soon with news of the kittens :)

Gotta be patient, I'm afraid and wait for her to decide in her own time :)

3. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

I like to think it's a good thing, although that may just be my sleep deprived mind. Otherwise I would be driven insane, Poppy is on day 67 and as we all know they can go between day 61-70 so, sigh!

Lots of nesting today though and last night, noisy nesting. I don't know whose idea it was to put newspapers inside the covering for my un-used cat radiator bed but it's noisy.

Actually, it was my idea, noisy is good I may miss it otherwise. I even went out for an hour just to see if she was waiting on me leaving her.

That didn't work either. :D I also had to post-pone an interview I had tomorrow, is she hasn't had them by Sunday, well, I may self implode.

and because they are all sold I keep getting "are they here yet" phone calls. FGS! I will phone you when they are here. I may lose some potential owners this weekend. :)

4. RachyBobs

RachyBobs PetForums VIP

:lol:

im not sure when shes due.. eek she was caught by one of the local toms :eek:

5. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Put some newspaper in her potential nesting boxes - it's not a bad thing for her to give birth on as long as the room is warm. But mainly, they do tend to nest a bit and the sound of paper being shredded can be the very first sign that kittens are on their way.

Or, because cats are contrary...... not! My first Siamese girl shredded paper and cardboard all day & all night for weeks before the kittens were born. By the time they were due the cardboard box was one inch high all round. :lol: As she was in my bedroom, I lost a lot of sleep due to her constant ripping, so before I had a second litter from her I invested in a proper wooden kittening box and run!

6. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Okay more signs to look for:

Popping: Like little bubbles popping in her tummy as the kittens drop down. When they are right down, ready to drop it may look your girl is thinner at the sides but infact kittens have dropped ready to pop out.

Nesting: Looking for areas to give birth. I have 3 birth boxes in my bedroom at the moment and all day Poppy has been looking elsewhere, behind TV Unit, underwear drawer etc.

Erm..

Licking of privates, this may just be every so often to begin and she may have discharge but you may not se it as she will lick it away but as her contractions kick in she will lick even more and her lady bits will open up gradually to allow birth.

Lots of grooming.

Lots of purring.

Popping in and out of her litter tray as if she needs a wee but doesn't. Often they also empty their bowels prior to birth.

Poppy has been eating little tiny snacks all week but today nothing at all, (could be a sign or not).

Teats go huge pink, even pinker than their normal pregnancy pinkness, you may see some colostrum on the ends.

She may become wary of other animals.

So that'ssome of the signs, I have all of them but no kittens!:D

7. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Can you belive I had a perfect ottoman and my husband through it out a few weeks ago!! ARGHH! Yes Poppy has almost demolished her box, she doesn't like crate & box 1, well she likes to sit in it pulling thigs from the Linen cupboard beside it!

I feel like taking it down and letting her have her way which is obviously the linen cupboard now actually! It has all my "essential items" on top though and I bought it for this purpose and she just ignores it?!

I have even sat in it with her. :rolleyes:

Right I am going away to not think about kittens. Chin up RachyBobs but don't you dare let her have them before mine! :D ;)

I am actually wondering if they can "hold them in"!

8. Honeybunch

Honeybunch PetForums Member

ah she's gorgeous and looks very pregnant Im sure it wont be long! Im excited as my cats nipples pinked up today so looks like kittens will be arriving in 6 weeks time! Keep us posted and look forward to seeing photos. The tom that mated with my Honey looks just like your girl :)
    Mellowma I hope your Poppy goes into labour soon I keep looking on here for news lol!

9. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Oh I will be shouting from the rooftops when she does. I will post on here, as soon as all is well or possibly during depending on the time!

I get very over excited when they come, this is the calm before the storm.

Right, I am off to have some no kitten thoughts. :rolleyes:

10. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Yes everything drops and the girl can even have a visible hollow each side when standing, between her back muscles and the bulge - her spine may start to feel slightly more prominent because the muscles are relaxing and getting ready.

11. RachyBobs

RachyBobs PetForums VIP

Her nipples are big and very pink, alot bigger than normal :eek: she tends to just lie out on her back

12. Honeybunch

Hi there really hoping that Poppy has her babies this weekend for you. I've been looking on here every day for news of them! Can't wait to hear all about it and see pics. Poppy is beautiful :)

13. Honeybunch

Sounds like its not long at all then ooh how exciting!:thumbup:

14. RachyBobs

RachyBobs PetForums VIP

oooooooo lol, i keep checking on her!! ;)

15. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

i'm the same with Squeak, i can see them moving so much i keep thinking it must be time for them to come out

I've even tried bribing her

me: Squeak, if you have the kittens today i'll give you a tin of tuna
    Squeak: ...
    me: ok ok, a whole salmon, deal?
    Squeak .. (continues to stare through me)

Oh thinks ive lost another marble :lol:

16. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

Good luck to all those with kitttens due, what an exciting time, cameras to the ready please, we want LOTS of kitten pictures !!!!!,:thumbup:..:thumbup:...:thumbup:

17. RachyBobs

RachyBobs PetForums VIP

Shes been in the box most of the morning.. its a tad on the small side but Ive got a friend bringing a bigger one today!! Again all she has done is eat and sleep! God bless her

Here she is!

[​IMG]

How many are you betting she has???

Who ever is right gets a rep!! lol

18. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

i think 4..........................:thumbup:..:thumbup:..:D..

19. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

i think 5..............

20. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

ill go with 3 :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice