Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Nipping and biting

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Lindsay Cotton, May 28, 2018.

1. Lindsay Cotton

Lindsay Cotton PetForums Junior

We have an 8 week old border collie and as lovely as she is, she's always nipping and biting and pulling my top, my ponytail and my trouser leg bottoms. When she does this I'm showing her the chew toys instead but she doesn't seem to take much notice. Any advice?

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Because you are far more fun to play with! This is an extension of the boisterous play she had with her littermates. Shoving a toy in her mouth as an alternative works for some dogs, but you could just walk out of the room as soon as she does it. She will learn that teeth on skin equals end of fun. It has to be immediate and the whole family has to be consistent.

Happy Paws2, lullabydream and sskmick like this.
  3. Lindsay Cotton

Thank you. I'll try that. Fingers crossed or I'll soon have no clothes left

4. Tracey3cats

Tracey3cats PetForums Junior

Hi, my border collie is 19 weeks old and she was exactly the same and still can be a little bit but it's not as much.
    If she nipped at my feet, I would stand still and throw a toy for her to distract her.
    Our biggest problem was her jumping on us whilst sitting on the sofa, so I just get up and move away. She then usually sits down and we can then sit down together.

5. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

I've been trying the sofa one myself. I swear she does it to wind me up but when I move away from her when she's nipping, she will look at me and start chewing the sofa while keeping eye contact at the same time lol.

6. Lindsay Cotton

Yep that sounds like a wind up. I've been turning my back to her and ignoring her today when she's doing it and she's not doing it as much

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice