Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Nil by mouth

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Tigermoon, May 16, 2017.

1. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

I have something I've never experienced before with one of my kittens and wondered if anyone else has had similar.

My persian is now 7 months old. She is a funny little character and very intelligent. However every so often she goes through a period of what I call "nil by mouth", for between 24 and 36 hours she won't eat anything at all. During these periods she shows absolutely no interest in food. Often she won't even sniff at the plate! At all other times she eats well and some days I actually struggle to keep her filled up and she squeaks for more! She has been like this ever since she was weaned and I'd say it happens once every 3 or so weeks. She doesn't vomit and I can't say I've noticed a change in her toileting at these times. She remains normal in all other respects apart from the not eating.

She only eats wet food (by her own choice) and gets a variety of grain-free options plus some raw. Neither her sister or mother display this strange eating habit.

So what could be going on here? I'm baffled!

#1 Tigermoon, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I am not saying there is necessarily anything wrong with Gabby, but to go without food for so long at a time is unusual behaviour for a healthy 7 mth old kitty, and I would be rather worried if it were my cat (because it is unusual).

Do the periods of food refusal coincide with her having eaten a specific protein? I wonder whether she feels a bit queasy or unwell after eating certain foods and it affects her appetite. Maybe you could try food rotation for a month (using single protein foods) and keep a log to see if there is any link between her diet and her food refusal.

3. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Not that I've noticed. With 10 cats they go through a lot of food and I feed the same protein more than once in a three week period. Usually they go through the full spectrum in a week.

4. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

Strange. My 8 month old boy sometimes eats a lot less than usual for a day or so, but will still eat something. I usually put it down to fussiness as he'll jump for treats if offered. Other days he's a teenage boy with hollow legs, which makes it hard to know how much food to put down!

Will your girl eat treats during this time? Does she drink?

5. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

She does continue to drink normally and will sometimes take treats (thrive for example), although yesterday she refused even those. Today she is eating like a horse!

6. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Mine do this as adults, but not normally as kittens. They will eat less for a day or two occasionally, but never nothing. Have you had her checked for a shunt? Now would be the time you'd expect to see signs.

7. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

I thought shunt funnily enough as I'm paranoid of this happening to my Labradors.

I hope you get to the bottom of this unusual dilemma, which turns out to be your little ones funny ways!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice