Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Nightmares?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jaf, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

I've had 3 nightmares in the last couple of weeks where I have woken up on the other side of the room. 2 were about the ceiling fan coming down on me, the other was that there was a man on top of the wardrobe. Scary but luckily I was able to go back to sleep.

I have rearranged my bedroom so that the fan is not directly above my bed, which is when the nightmare changed to the strange man.

It has been a bad few weeks and I think maybe losing Honey dog has made me feel less secure. Nothing else has changed, diet/ meds/ life.

I've never had nightmares where I've run away before, don't normally even have bad dreams. Problem is I'm getting anxious about having another one. I don't suffer from anxiety normally so I don't know any coping strategies.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

I'm a sleepwalker and suffer from sleep paraylsis/hypnagogic hallucinations and haven't found anything to stop them. All I can think of is making sure your bedroom is tidy so you don't fall over and seeing if you're better with the bedroom light or dark. I need mine pitch black or it sets me off and I start seeing things.

Can you try doing relaxation techniques or meditation as you're falling asleep (I like the puddle of goo one where you relax and imagine your body sinking in to the bed one part at a time).

I'm sorry for your loss x

cheekyscrip likes this.
  3. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

Thank you. It feels so odd Honey not being here. I keep thinking about her at meals times, she would hunt for crumbs. She loved it when people stayed with me, more chances of crumbs!

Blimey hypnagogic hallucinations sounds super scary. When I saw the man on the wardrobe it was really weird as he was sort of reclining and being sultry. It almost made me laugh as he must have been 2 foot tall at best. *shakes head*

You mentioning a dark room has really struck an chord. I normally have the window shutters closed but during the summer I have the windows open. I don't have street lights but the village down the hill does. I'll make some curtains tomorrow.

Thanks again.

4. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

They sound to me like anxiety dreams. Like you are anxious about being alone and unprotected. Which is to be expected really. They should wear off once you get used to Honey not being around. I don't mean you will forget her, you will just adapt to her not being there.

Did Honey normally sleep on the bed with you?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

Aww bless her, she sounds like she was a great character x

If you could see the man in your bedroom then that sounds like a hypnogogic hallucination to me. They're really weird and can be quite scary (even things that you wouldn't find scary in day to day life can become terrifying in them).

I hope the curtains help you with the nightmares. Let us know how you get on x

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

It does sound like a response to loosing Honey - feeling sad and a bit anxious - and obviously missing her :( Completely understandable and normal I would say.

Maybe try some breathing/relaxation at bedtime?

Even "speaking" to Honey before you go to bed might help? Maybe try thinking of a happy time with her and a "sleep tight, Honey" might help you to relax?

I "speak" (in my head ;)) to my late mum and dad before I drop off and tell them I miss and love them (especially if I'm worried about something - always asking them to look after 20 year old DS when he's away or out on the razz! ;)) and it does seem to help :)

7. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Can I just add...some medications can make people have horrific dreams, and some can make people hallucinate too. Usually worse due to lack of ability to sleep well...

Sometimes finding a good sleep routine as already stated helps..

There is also loads of good tips on sleeping on the internet.

However, if people are in a similar position, please check medications for side effects..patient.co.uk is a good place to start.

8. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone. No more weird dreams or jumping out of bed, thank goodness. I am still weeping over nothing, which has surprised me as I'm normally sensible.

I had Honey dog and Wayne cat cremated as, not to sound morbid, but I've run out of burying space. I think I need a monument of some kind.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice