Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Nightmare morning!

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by Beckyh28, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Beckyh28

Beckyh28 PetForums Newbie

Hi All,

I have not posted on here before but hoping for some good advice.

I have two lovely Norfolk terriers they are good as gold, never had any problems, great around children they even get on with the cat! The oldest has always been a bit wary of large dogs so I tend to keep him away from them if we pass on a walk.

Today we went to try a new dog groomers, always a bit worrying as they are my little boys so never nice to leave them anywhere. When we arrived I could hear other dogs so I specifically said to the lady are there dogs loose before I handed him over. She said no there were a couple in cages but none loose. I went on to explain that Baxter(my eldest dog) was not keen on large dogs so not to let him loose with them. They also asked me to fill out a form as we were new customers which I also wrote on there about the large dogs.

I was called to collect him only a little over an hour later so I walked back with Milo ( my other dog) and when we arrived I could see two large dogs waiting at the desk so I lifted up Milo he's fine with all dogs but he gets very excited and barks a lot so I thought he eaier to pick him up. When they saw I had arrived the girls behind the counter then proceeded to get Baxter out from his cage and then they let him loose. My immediate reaction was to say no and before I knew it Baxter seemed very scared and was confronted with this large dog and all of a sudden Baxter bit the dog in the side near its back leg!

Clearly he was feeling threatened and upset and I was even more upset knowing that I had already asked them not to let him loose with large dogs. The incident could have been totally prevented.

As I say though both my dogs are very loving and caring not aggressive in the slightest so something must have really spooked him to act in that way.

I was ofcourse extremely apologetic to the owner of the other dog and wanted to make sure that it was ok as well as try and get my two out as quick as possible so they weren't upset any more than they had to be. They were not happy nor impressed.

I am not an irresponsible dog owner I would never have allowed that to happen.

I got home and got myself in such a mess it was very upsetting and to see that Baxter must have been very stressed to bite another dog. I am however now worried that he will be reported as an aggressive dog but he isn't and I feel like I should report the groomers as they have been very irresponsible letting him lose when I gave instructions not to.

Does anyone have any advice and who I should contact.

Thank you

2. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper Banned

It was the groomers responsibility and their insurance will cover any vet’s bill that may arise.

I would just get in touch with the other owner just to make sure their dog is ok. It probably won’t go any further so don’t fret.

#2 Dr Pepper, Dec 9, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    Animallover26 and Sproglet like this.
  3. Sproglet

Sproglet PetForums Senior

You had specifically said and put in writing NOT to let your dog come into contact with larger dogs. This was ignored by the groomer. You've done nothing wrong and certainly can't be held accountable for what happened.

Animallover26 likes this.
  4. Annie Yates

Annie Yates Banned

Don't beat yourself up over it, you made it clear about your dogs so it is the groomer 100% at fault not you...I hope your poor dogs are ok.

Animallover26 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice