Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Nightmare Morning..

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SLB, May 8, 2017.

1. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

This morning, I decided to go and see my Mum. I checked my levels in the car, thought that since it was an hour since I'd used it, the oil would've settled enough. How bloody wrong was I!!!

So I've not even half way up the motorway, I've got all the dogs in the car. I had to get into the 3rd lane to over take. I lost all power! So I tried to stay calm - there's a lot of traffic, only I put my indicator on. This lorry in the first lane just wasn't letting me in. I then put my hazards on as I couldn't accelerate. He then slacked off and let me pass, possibly too close - but at the time I was just trying to get me and the dogs to the bottom of a slip road (annoyingly they were the exit side of a services!) The new smart motorways have no hard shoulders so I thought I'd be a bit safer at the end of a slip road (the very end) than in the first lane of the motor way!

I knew I wasn't in a spot I was safe so I rang the emergency services to report where I was. They closed the first lane and as I was coming off the phone from the RAC the Highways Agency turned up. Asked me if the car could move and could I limp it to the SOS area a mile down the road. They checked it over and said it wasn't a belt snap or anything and they'd follow me down, if I couldn't make it they'd tow me down.

Managed to get it to the SOS point. They re-opened the lane and the RAC were with me only minutes later. He checked it over. Then I realised - my oil tank was ticking. So he topped it up and then the car was running nicely again. He then followed me back 2 junctions and a few extra miles to my house. Had a look under and said it looked like I had an oil leak. So now I need to get it serviced.

As he was sorting paperwork. I opened the boot so the dogs could get air. He saw how many I had, asked me how I walked them all. I told him walking belt. Then he told me he's started doing canicross after the telly episode a few weeks ago - he was surprised when I said I did it, and scooter too.

So I'll hopefully be seeing more of him on the canicross trails - not on the roadside!

All in all it took about 20 minutes from me breaking down and phoning everyone for me to be recovered. So well done HA and RAC.

2. applecrumlin

applecrumlin Oh Help Oh No it's a Gruffalo

I realise it was a nightmare at the time, but it's still nice to hear that everything worked as it's supposed to. I've always found AA and RAC mechanics really pleasant and helpful, and it sounds like these ones were super speedy too!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Sounded scary, stuck out in the middle lane like that!

Glad you were all safe and the rescue services were great, by the sound of it! ;)

4. Legshand

Legshand PetForums Member

Maybe need a cambelt change at the same time? written as a reminder cause a neighbours cambelt went on M1 a couple of years ago all power (steering brakes etc) went, car written off, she has never driven since & says she'll never drive again, she knew nothing abouthaving to change the cambelt once in a while. Terrifing thing to happen yet it's only a absolute essential safety maintainance, job (lengthy & can be expensive but essential).

#4 Legshand, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
  5. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Thanks guys, luckily I had time to get over to the side of the road. I hate that there are no hard shoulders anymore.

It's hopefully going into the garage today whilst I'm at work. My new boss has told me that if I ever need anything looking at, to take it in. So whilst I'm there all day - it can be at his garage and hopefully find out whats wrong. Annoyingly my holiday is on Saturday!

6. applecrumlin

applecrumlin Oh Help Oh No it's a Gruffalo

I didn't realise there are no hard shoulders any more (I rarely drive on motorways, I must take note next time, even though it will scare me!) what on earth is the logic? It must make them more dangerous, surely? Only a few days ago I had a puncture on an A-road. I had the window open, I heard a dull "pop" and realised immediately, but had no choice but to drive slowly on it to the next section of dropped kerb, ruining the tyre.

7. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

They have SOS points now, they're about every 2 miles I think. They're changing to "smart" motorways. So as soon as I rang the police - they shut off the lane closest to me. Most people moved over and gave me room. Luckily I wasn't in a lane as such but more the end of a slip road, beginning of a lane - so I was off the immediate danger path - however I was at risk of those drivers who like to stay in the slip road to the very end. `Thankfully nothing bad happened, though looking back - I made a couple of possibly really bad decisions. And they've hit me this morning and now I'm going through all the what ifs and hugging my dogs very tightly.

Just so you know - you can be fined for not moving out of a closed lane and as I was stranded they took the speed of the motorway down to 40 - I saw someone get flashed by a camera as they weren't doing 40. So if you drive on the motorway now - keep an eye out on the signs above.

applecrumlin likes this.
  8. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Eek! What a morning, but as you say, thank goodness for a swift response from the HA and the RAC.

I'm having trouble with my car at the mo ( engine light keeps coming on ) and I'm not even with anyone so would be a bit screwed should I break down!

9. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Get breakdown cover - I've only been driving 2 years and it's been well worth it. Can't wait to have a reliable vehicle! My engine light is always on. I've had diagnostic on it, MOT pass... it just stays on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice