Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Nightmare fish!!!

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Willsteak, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Willsteak

Willsteak PetForums Junior

My tank is well settled everybody gets along apart from my newest addition.... they’re white and gold clouds. Radar is chasing the other fish so badly and fin nipping constantly ! He won’t leave them alone! One of my fish (that happens to be 3 time’s bigger than him) is so scared he just hides in the plants or in a corner away from radar. Radar will still go and bully him really badly and I’m worried Solomon is going to die of stress! What can I do about this fish he’s absolutely horrible towards the others and I never see him not attacking them. Is there any way to upload a video to show how nasty he’s being. I should also say he is not just minnow bumping them. He’s going after them mouth wide open and biting.

Attached Files:

2. Willsteak

Attached Files:

3. Willsteak

This is Solomon hiding from radar. He usually would be swimming about the tank happy as Larry :(

4. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi. Welcome to PF. Sorry it's under the circumstances.

Upload the video to YouTube, get the URL address, copy it.
    Open this thread.
    Click/tap on reply, then click/tap on the film strip icon (2 buttons to the right of the smilies).
    Paste the URL address into the text box and click embed.

How big is the tank, and how many (and what type), of fish do you have?

George Duke-Cohan likes this.
  5. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

It's difficult to tell what's going on without knowing how big your tank is and what amount of other fish and white clouds you have?

Shoaling fish not in proper numbers to be shoals can turn into little nightmares.

6. Willsteak

At the moment there are about 8 (I’m slowly introducing a couple at a time as 4 of them have lived there for a year)in a 50 litre, fully planted tank. Water perimeters are fine . they seem a bit better today so hopefully they’re sorting it out between themselves. One thing I noticed is with this new one he looked miserable with clamped fins ever since I got him but will flare away at the others and swims around fine just looks unhappy.

7. Willsteak

Also I have no other fish at all I just like having my minnows because they’re great little fish and I’m happy just having them On there own. i have some with really unique fish with amazing coloured Iridescent stripes so really want to keep these guys healthy and not stressed.

8. George Duke-Cohan

George Duke-Cohan PetForums Member

Sorry, I am late to this post. Could you explain to me your issue rather then me reading through like 100 posts. Just because I am lazy. :p

9. Willsteak

Yes basically I have a fish that’s a total d**k to put it bluntly he was really badly bullying the other fish, fin nipping and constantly chasing. He was after one of my biggest fish mainly who was getting incredibly stressed out. They seem to be much better now And because they’re sticking up for themselves he’s not stressing them out as much. Now I think there is something up with the bully fish (radar) because his fins have been clammed since I got him :/

10. George Duke-Cohan

George Duke-Cohan PetForums Member

Would you be able to post a picture of his fins so we can try and work out what is going on. I am glad to hear that things are starting to work out, I am sure by the end of it all you will have a happy aquarium. ;)

11. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Fin clamping is a sign that the fish isn't feeling well, but that could be for a myriad reasons - water quality and stress being the two biggest problems.

Do you have any test results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH? GH and KH might also help. We need the actual numbers in ppm or mg/l - not "it's fine" or "it's perfect."

When was the last water change, and how much did you change? Did you use dechlorinator? Have you vacuumed the substrate recently?

When was the last time you cleaned the filter? And how?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice