Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Nightmare dog in the car!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Lucymartha, Jul 14, 2019 at 5:38 PM.

1. Lucymartha

Lucymartha PetForums Newbie

I need some help! My dog has always been exposed to the car since we got her and now that she is 2 she has developed some sort of anxiety when travelling in the car. All advice I have read says to lure them in the car and make it a safe and happy place with treats etc but she is not afraid of getting in the car, she in fact is excited to get in. She sits in the back and had a hammock style seat that she was clipped into, she is fine in this until we go on motorways and massively loses it.

We have also tried a fabric crate where she can only see through the front (blocked both sides off) but she was scratching at it in a frenzy. She won't sit in the footwell and have tried all the calming sprays and tablets in the world but with no effect.

Has anyone got any advice?!

2. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

Try crate training then get your dog to travel in the crate that way your dog can travel in a comfortable bed with a stuffed frozen Kong and a covering to prevent looking out.

Also, we found SereneUM tablets helpful or look at Dorwest travel tablets.

As a thought, my dog is very over excited in the car, we find she settles after a walk have you tried a short drive to a favourite walk, a good walk then a longer trip on the motorway?

We also find the opposite to you if our dog travels in the crate or with her seatbelt and our caravan on she is relaxed and quiet as she knows it is a long journey rather than a trip for an exciting walk. Could it be that your dog is panicking because she is excited about a walk and then you go on the motorway and all that adrenaline has built up with no outlet?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

I'm sure you know this but, your dog shouldn't travel in the footwell especially as she panics. It's a danger to you and your dog plus technically illegal.

Have you tried a dog seatbelt and a covering on the seat to reduce slipping, Pickle is calmer on short journeys if she travels like this and is able to see out. Noise on the motorway could also be a trigger, roof bars whistling, wheel noise etc. What about the relax my doggy music on in the car?

Sorry I'm just throwing ideas at you but these are a few of the options we used to settle Pickle.

Our final one is no leaving the car for short walks unless she is calm and quiet -this we are still working on

4. Lucymartha

As I said she is crate trained and have tried the crate. I have tried giving her an antler which she usually loves but not interested. She has never been fussed by a kong. Tried the serene um tablets and just regretted spending money on it!

As I also mentioned she is clipped in through a dog seat belt and again as I said we have covered the crate.

Today tried playing calming music, actually made her worse I think.

We have also tried both long and short walks before the journeys.

5. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

With all due respect putting her into a fabric crate, doesn't constitute crate training. Sorry if you have already crate trained but, your statement doesn't indicate this is the case. We do get a lot if posts on here from people who think crate training means just putting the dog in the crate. Apologies if that's not you.

Putting her in a hammock seat that she is clipped doesn't equal a dog seatbelt with a base that prevents slipping. Have a look at the centre for pet safety on YouTube some of them can feel very unsafe.

Sorry, the sereneUM didn't work for you, it helped my collie with severe firework anxiety. Did you use it for 6 weeks as it takes that long to get into the system?

Relaxing music needs to be the relax my doggy music again try YouTube.
    Apologies that I can't link you my mouse battery is dying

What I do think you need is to pick one thing and work consistently. I know it's hard with a noisy panicking dog.

Have you read the book click to calm this might help you?

You can get a referral to a qualified behaviourist from your vet if it's covered on your insurance. Alternatively, the association of Pet behaviourist can help.

I believe Kikopup on YouTube has some good videos to assist with unwanted behaviours.

I think though you have to work out what is different about journeys on the motorway for your dog. Assuming she doesn't react on local roads?

Have you tried videoing on different journeys to try and identify a difference?

Is the noise different?
    Do you behave differently?

#5 Picklelily, Jul 14, 2019 at 11:05 PM
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019 at 11:42 PM
    Cleo38 and Linda Weasel like this.
  6. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

Sorry if my post is a bit garbled, I think my laptop is ready to die.

7. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

Also if you Google Sophia Yin she has some great info on travelling with dogs and using Dramamine travel sickness pills not only for travel sickness but also anxiety.

Cleo38 likes this.
  8. Lucymartha

I think I’ll end the thread there as you’re being quite patronising. I’ve come here as a last resort as I have googled for hours on end. Thanks for trying but you haven’t listened to my comments!

9. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

I apologise if you think I was bring patronising but as I explained I can't link you as my laptop was dying a death.
    I was typing on my phone last thing.

Sophia Yin was a highly respected behaviourist and it's a great article.

Sometimes the written word can come across in a different way to the intended.

#9 Picklelily, Jul 15, 2019 at 8:29 AM
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019 at 8:36 AM
    Jobeth and lullabydream like this.
  10. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Wow, how rude are you?!!! @Picklelily has given you lots of really good advice there & you have gotten uppity for some reason.

Maybe your dog is bad in the car as the poor thing is trapped with you for so long :rolleyes::eek::D

11. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

Thank you Cleo, I really appreciate the support.
    I worried that I had been patronising as obviously my comments about the fabric crate could be seen as rude but, I did feel I had tried to explain why I was saying what I have.

lullabydream likes this.
  12. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Not at all! I read you replies as being really helpful & considerate despite a bit of a snipe in the initial reply. Seems even if you go out of your way to help some people it's just not good enough unfortunately .... but then that says alot about the sort of person they are! :eek::rolleyes:;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice