Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Night time - help!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Elc1112, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Elc1112

Elc1112 PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

We picked up our Boston Terrier puppy, Tess, on Saturday. She has settled in really well. The only problem we are having is nighttime. She barks for hours and hours. We have left a t shirt in her crate, and a warm 'puppy pal'. Radio is on low. She barks, whines and it sometimes sounds like she is banging herself on the side of the crate. We have tried "shush" but nothing seems to calm her. She has toys and treats so keep her busy if she needs them.

How long did your dogs bark for into the night? What did you do to help them, short of bringing them into your bed! She is in the kitchen and we are not able to bring her crate up to the bedroom.

Any suggestions? I feel absolutely awful as she sounds so distraught. I know it's normal in their first few night. We went to bed at 8 so that she calmed at a reasonable hour. Not going so well! I don't want to start bad habits but could really use some help :(

Em x

2. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

8 seems rather early for her to go to bed unless you're up at about 3 in the morning. How often do you toilet her in the night?

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Did you just put her in the crate and shut her in? If you did, then that may be part of the problem too. If a pups never seen or been in a crate then it needs careful introduction and training to accept and relax in a crate, before you just shut them in and leave them. Some can and do really freak out unless habituated and trained to a crate first.

Also leaving Mum and littermates is a big step and they can get really stressed finding themselves alone in a strange new environment. Personally I always have mine within sight and sound of me for the first 2/3 weeks. It also helps with toilet training as usually they cant go through the night at first so if they naturally wake or stir, you can toilet them too. Over the next few weeks as they grow and the capacity to hold themselves longer and control gets better with the toilet training too, you usually find it gets less and less until they do go through until morning.

Whilst they are not alone at night, I usually also work on getting them used to short periods alone in the day, self amusing winding down and resting after periods of activity. Then slowly build these routine rest periods up in time gradually weaning them off gently so they learn to cope alone in small increments. It also gives them time to adjust and get used to their new environments and routines.

4. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

I can only reiterate what sled dog said...being comfortable in a crate takes training and I don't know how old she is? But bed at 8 and left overnight seems like a long time. When I first brought kiva home I slept on the couch for a month and would take her outside for "wee wees" every 3 or 4 hours or whenever she woke up. The t-shirt is a good idea :D I changed kivas every couple of days for one I had worn. There is a great thread on here somewhere for crates, I think it may be in the training and behaviour section? She is just a bit scared and confused and wondering why she is on her own somewhere unfamiliar, but with your help and training she will settle......it's not never ending honestly, although sometimes it feels like it ;) ha ha

5. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Move the crate to your bedroom for a couple of months until she's settled and a little older. She's been sleeping with company and must be very lonely on her own. All my pups have slept in our bedrooms until they know the house, the people and feel more confident all round. Everyone gets some sleep that way too - problem solved. ;)

6. Elc1112

Elc1112 PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

Thanks for all the comments. We went to bed early tonight as we have some builders turning up at our house at 6am. We wanted her to take before that so that we could feed her, take her out for pees and poops etc before the madness commenced.

Saturday night, first night with the puppy, our roof started leaking. This meant that Tess' first night was more than a little unsettled as we ran around the house trying to do what we could to minimise the damage. Builders came yesterday to 'stabilise' things. Today and tomorrow (and probably three weeks more knowing this lot!) they will be fixing it. The roof damage means that the upstairs of our house is not puppy friendly at the minute. We have been confined to the smallest bedroom and there just isn't enough room for the dog too. Besides, we both thought that it would be unsettling for her to be among the chaos.

The people we bought her from have been using a crate since the pups were very young. She is now 10 weeks and seems to like her crate. We had it ready and set up when we brought her home and were going to introduce her to it gently. First thing she did upon arriving her, after exploring, was go into her crate for a nap. She kept going back in repeatedly and seems to think of it as her safe place.

We didn't want to scare her last night, her first unproblematic (we hoped!) night. We put her crate in the kitchen with all her favourite bits and pieces in. The door was left open. We had put a stair gate across the kitchen so that she wasn't too contined too early on. Our smallest bedroom (the one that we are currently living in) is downstairs. If we. Left the door open, Tess could still see and hear us so she knew she wasn't alone.

She stayed in her crate, even as she was howling to high heaven. She hates being alone, which I know is completely normal for a puppy. She barked for close to two hours last night and then slept for several hours. I had set an alarm so that I took her out every three hours. No fuss, just pee/poop and back to bed. She did this just fine. We have a puppy pad down in the kitchen also, just in case!

When she is awake she just loves cuddles. With her being brand new to us we are more than happy to oblige! We are trying to be a little careful, however, so that she doesn't become too dependent on cuddles to be content.

All in all she is settling in fabulously. We have had a couple of 'accidents' but most have been going where they should. Bedtime is the only thing that needs real work. I know it will take a few days. It's really unfortunate that the roof decided to start leaking on her first day. Fingers crossed that in a few days it will be fixed and she will realise that we haven't abandoned her each night!

Em (and Tess!) x

7. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

I think you just need to persevere if she was better last night. All my dogs have slept away from me and I can remember a few nights of complaints which gradually shortened until after a few days they knew the routine and were settled (except for my current dog who, even as a pup, settled quickly and slept the whole night through). :rolleyes:

It seems to me that with your house in chaos you must be feeling pretty stressed - not the ideal time to introduce a puppy, but obviously it wasn't planned. Your puppy may well be picking up on your stress which won't be helping.

If she was better last night just keep doing what she's doing, and try and make bedtime a calm routine. I'd try to put her down later as 8 is very early. She needs to be tired before she goes to bed.

8. Elc1112

Elc1112 PetForums Newbie

Definitely not great timing but, as you said, it wasn't planned. We are sat in the conservatory today so that she can't hear the noise from the builders. They have all been to say hello to her, which she has absolutely loved. She also seems quite content playing on her own for up to half an hour before she remembers she needs a cuddle. She wasn't keen on the postman this morning - think it have her a bit of a shock! I'm taking the 'if I don't react you'll see it's nothing to be scared about' approach. Off to the vets this afternoon for her first set of jabs. Then no work this afternoon - lots of attention for her as I am sure that she won't be too keen on the jabs!

Absolutely love her to bits already :) x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice