Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Night time dog walkers

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Miss.PuddyCat, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

And by night I mean pitch black

Last night at 10:30 on my way home the front light on my bike stopped working so couldn't see very well except for street lights. Anyways I took the sidewalk route home which isnt well lit (was basically just gliding along slowly) when I saw a lady just off the side walk near a big bush then just as im beside her and apologizing for the lack of my head light a huge chocolate lab on a black leash came out of the bush.

I had no idea there was a dog there! I apologized and the dog seemed as dopey happy going so wasnt bothered.

But was just wondering if other dog walkers at night try to make themselves or their dog/s see able to other people?

I have seen things in shops to attach to collars that blink red to be noticeable

2. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

I walk my dogs at night and if I'm going round any unlit areas I tend to attach a little keyring torch to one of the leads, it's not often I bump into anyone where I walk but you can guarantee the day I don't use the torch would be the day I got in the way of every bike rider and car in cleethorpes lol,

3. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Mine both wear reflective collars anyway.
    And if it's dark they have a flashing light and a reflective vest.
    I always carry a torch as well. Not only so I can keep an eye on them but so I can see to pick up any poop.
    I often walk along the beach - no street lights and with Zipper being black he just sems to dissapear if I don't.

4. Kelly2774

Kelly2774 PetForums Member

my dogs last walk is at 8pm so un the summer/light nights its still daylight but come winter its dark at 8pm

they have another collar from in the winter nights with a light attached to it from pets at home & its flashes red so i can see where they are :)

5. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

At night we just go around the block so it's lit up, but I always have torch with me just in case and Bella has a reflective collar.

6. JessiesGirl

JessiesGirl PetForums Senior

We have an extremely reflective collar and lead. It does help! I've noticed cars slowing down when they see us. Where I live, half the year morning walks are also in the dark, so we really needed a solution for visibility.

We use these: MOONGLOW Collars The leads are in that link as well, even though it says collar in the link.

We have the blue as I just didn't like the yellow. The blue is pretty even when not reflecting!

7. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

Toffee has a visiglo collar for the darker nights ... I keep meaning to buy Gypsy and Teddy one each too , but I always forget in the nicer weather and come winter there always seems to be less money around so I cant get them

Visiglo Dog Collar to buy online at UK Dog Online

I think i'll nag my OH now this thread has reminded me , lol

8. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Winter time where it gets dark quick, Yes but summer time, No. If i'm out at night it's because it's about 12-2 am and don't expect people to be out although I do carry a torch incase they go to the toilet and need to see it. My park is slightly lit up so is never too dark that you can't see anything but I enjoy going out in pitch blackness :thumbup:

9. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Mine has a reflective coat if we're going out night walking. I also bought some hi-vis strips which are stuck to her harness.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice