Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Night Terrors

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by thedogsmother, Jul 11, 2009.

1. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Just posted on the sleep talking thread and it got me thinking about my daughters night terrors, does anyone else have a child who has night terrors or do you know anything about what causes them and how to prevent them. They are much more distressing to the parent than nightmares and with my daughter they can last for 30 minutes.

2. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

My 9 year old son sometimes has these and when he does they are usually during an overtired or stressfull time. We tend to give him rescue remedy before he goes to bed for a couple of nights!!

3. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

My youngest daughter stuffers terribly from night terrors. I used also as a child. Unfortunately there is very little you can do to prevent them, but they do grow out of them with time.

Amy's night terrors seem to come in phases so I am wondering if its linked to brain growth spurts in children.

It is very distressing for both parent and child. But I guess we just have to weather the storm

4. Izzie999

Izzie999 PetForums VIP

Hi,

Yes our five year old gets them, very regularly too!. I find he gets them if he is too hot or if he has been overexcited or overtired, I usually sit with him till they are gone, they are very distressing though.

Never tried the rescue remedy before bedtime, I do find keeping his room cool helps and making sure he wakes up fully from it before letting him settle into a proper sleep! he has spells where he can have them every night for about three weeks then he doesn't have them for ages!

Izzie

5. thedogsmother

Does your daughter remember having them? My daughter has no idea what has happened and she always sleep walks at the same time so we usually find her wandering around the house screaming and crying and are unable to comfort her, then she just snaps out of it and has no idea why she isn't in bed.

6. thedogsmother

Lucys come in batches like that she can go months without them and then they come every night.

#6 thedogsmother, Jul 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  7. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

Apparently it is normal for children to have no recollection of the night terror. However I can remember one that I had about the ceiling of my bedroom falling down. It was as if I was dreaming but wide awake.

We are also unable to comfort Amy, its almost as if she doesn't recognise us.

The thing to remember is no matter how distressing they are to witness they aren't actually harmful.

8. animallover111

I once caught my son(he was about 6/7yrs old)he had climed into my daughters cot and was trying to strangle her,he was swearing and muttering,we got him out of the cot,put him back to bed,next morning he couldnt remember a thing(our daughter was ok too)
    One night i woke up and heard the smashing of glass i thought someone was trying to break in.....we went downstairs and Jack was smashing the front door and screaming there was a fire and he needed to get out.....again we put him back to bed and he remembered nothing he has grown out of it now but i do remember the doctor telling me not to try and wake him up just calm him down and put him straight back to bed....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice