Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Night light or no night light?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by londonkittens, Oct 6, 2013.

1. londonkittens

londonkittens PetForums Junior

Our kittens are 9 weeks old now and I'm wondering if I should continue leaving a nightlight on in their room at night.

At first they had a small space in the spare room but, as they are extremely settled and very confident, we're now leaving them in the kitchen at night as it seems to be one of their favourite spots to hang out in, it's roomier and it's also been cat proofed. They sleep well and don't fuss or cry.

I don't know whether just to carry on as is, or whether to try darkness. It seems like if it isn't broke don't fix it, but at the same time could the nightlight be irritating to them? At what point do you switch off the nightlight, or don't you? When they are older and past the wire chewing phase, I'd like to give them free run of the flat. I've never had a nightlight with previous older cats, but is it a good idea to leave one on in one room?

2. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Never had night lights for my kittens. They know when the lights go out it's bedtime, and if they do need the tray have no problems finding it in the dark.

3. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

Never left any lights on at night ... As SC when the lights go out its bedtime .. My kittens play til about 10.30 then a small feed when bed although they did end up in our bed last night :rolleyes: never again lol

4. ScruffyCat

ScruffyCat PetForums Senior

When we first got scruff I left a night light on for him but mother in law started laughing at me and said cats as they are natural hunters and night owls they can actually see better in the dark?

Don't know whether this is true or not but we started turning the light out after a week and we have not had any accidents.

When I start turning the lights out now scruff starts paddling his bed and looking eagerly at his bowl..... ( I am a soft touch and scruff has a spoonful of food before bed)

5. Ingrid25

Ingrid25 PetForums VIP

You don't need a night light as cats can see in the dark anyway, having it off will also help them distinguish between when its sleep time and when its play time:)

6. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

No they don't need night lights. Just a kiss good night and a stroke under the chin x

7. lulubel

lulubel PetForums Senior

I have a night light so I can see what the puppy monsters are up to if they wake up. It doesn't seem to bother the cats at all.

8. londonkittens

Thanks chaps. I'll try them without it tonight and see how they get on :)

9. londonkittens

They seemed unconcerned this morning, and in fact were sound asleep when I walked in, so I think the night light is done with :)

10. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

I know nothing about kittens but I would turn of lights completely. Just the fact that in nature, night time is dark time is a good guidance to me. In humans the excess of light during night causes sleep problems. In cats it's probably different because they have a different sleeping/waking up pattern. But why should they need it when they have a very good sight in the dark anyway?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice