Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Nicotine poisoning

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by ellie_w, Aug 17, 2009.

1. ellie_w

ellie_w PetForums Member

I've just had to rush Shawnee to the vets as she has eaten half a packet of nicotine chewing gum :mad:

She wasn't showing any ill effects when i left her but it can be really nasty (seizures etc) so i've had to leave her there overnight

I'm so worried about her

2. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Oh no, I hope she's OK!
    Sending healing thoughts her way and hugs to you.

3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

goodness, I hope she is ok. Personally I would have preferred to keep her at home and check her regularly rather than her being at the vets unattended all night.

4. bucksmum

bucksmum PetForums Senior

Oh no,maybe they will make her sick before it has chance to take effect.I hope she's ok x

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Thats rather hash. I, and many nurses and vets, have camped out at work to monitor patients. Many vets have live in nurses so that there is someone on site. No point having an animal at home if it requires fluid therapy, which most cases of toxicity and posioning require.

Ellie, i hope she recovers well. Please let us know how she gets on.

6. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Totally Agree..

Ellie i Hope your Shawnee recovers well and you have her home by morning!

7. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

:eek: MY vet's have nurse's on night duty:)

8. ellie_w

ellie_w PetForums Member

Well the vets have phoned and so far she has been fine with no visible effects at all so hopefully i will be able to pick her up tomorrow

She wont be unattended all night as the on call vet at my surgery sleeps over and will be able to keep a close eye on her - i wouldnt have left her there alone i would have stayed myself if necessary

9. KarenHSmith

KarenHSmith PetForums VIP

Hope she is OK.. :( xxx

10. dinks

dinks PetForums Senior

Hmmm how do you know she will be unattended durinng the nite - think would be pretty pointless given the circumstances if there was not a nurse on site to montitor the patient?:confused:

11. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

Shaw you wouldn't :rolleyes: This lady must have a crap vet:rolleyes:. Hope your baby's ok.

12. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

hope shawnee will be ok and home with you by the morning, well done for acting so quick and getting her to the vets to monitor her, she is in the best place if anything should happen.

13. ellie_w

ellie_w PetForums Member

Well Shawnee is home and she seems to be in good health thank god - will need to keep a close eye on her for a few days but it looks as though there wont be any long lasting ill effects

14. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

That's great news! Well done to Shawnee, you and the vet!

15. xpalaboyx

xpalaboyx PetForums VIP

nice to know that everything is ok with your pet now... dont leave any harmful substance or products lying around especially those that can harm your pets or children...

16. ellie_w

ellie_w PetForums Member

These weren't lying around they were on a high shelf in a box in the spare room :eek: we didnt realise that the dog could reach the shelf by climbing on the bed - she isnt even allowed in there normally but someone had been in there and not latched the door shut properly :rolleyes:

17. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I am glad you have such faith in your vets. Having worked in several vets practices even the ones with nurses living on the premises I have never known animals be checked more than once or twice in the night. Of course if they need fluid therapy they are better at the vets but I read it that this dog was only being observed and not treated. I would far rather observe my own dog and take it to the surgery if a problem arose in the night.
    I am glad the dog is ok though and didnt need any treatment.

18. ellie_w

ellie_w PetForums Member

She had activated charcoal and she was also on a saline drip through the night

19. MADCAT

MADCAT PetForums VIP

Glad to hear she is ok xxx

20. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

I work in a vets and we have 2 kennel staff on till 8pm to v nurses untill 9pm and then a vet untill midnight and then another vet stays on site untill 8am in the morning
    If a dog has eaten something that it should have not 9 times out of 10 a dog will be put on a drip and animals can only have this done at a vets and has to stay in while on it which could be anything from a 1 hour to 24 hours depends on how quick the drip is set up to flush out

I would feel happy with my dog at a vets getting the treatment it needs

My dog lilly last year got hold of some painkillers when she was 2 wks preggers and she went to the vet at 9am in the morning and i picked her up at 8 pm the following evening she was put on a drip (this was not the vets i worked at) as it was when i was staying at my mums

I am glad you dog is ok you donr the right thing

#20 nat1979, Aug 18, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice