UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My OH got to name him cos he has fallen so much for him. He was going to go for Gilbert after the lead character (I think) in the film "Raw Hide"...because of his bum...yes exactly...hilarious! But he decided against it...and has gone with Nicholas...cos he is "small, cute and friendly", attributes he likes of me apparently. Very corny...yet I do secretly love it!

Now these aren't the cutest of pics...but they show you the skin on his rump...I think it is looking better...but am desperate for others' opinions so let me know.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

Show Content

This is the underside...I think his bum has been torn...but am not sure...

And when wet...have only one cos didn't want to keep him out getting cold...but you can see the scabby bit above the sore bit which I think will result in more fur loss.

Show Content

Anyways am taking my gorgeous Nicholas to the vets at 9:30 tomorrow so hoping for a good verdict!

Finally one pic of him finally staying still to groom (obviously before bath!!)

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
He does look worse in those pics hun, but I think thats because youve cleaned away the scabby bits and you can see the wounds better though, rather than them actually being worse. Unfortunately I do think he might have a torn bum looking at that pic :(, is he still pooing ok? I would keep bathing his wounds twice a day till there is skin coverage though. Do you think he might end up loosing his tail hun?

ETA:
Oh ignore me, Ive had a look at the before and after pics together, hes definately much, much better hun, the only one that worries me is the 2nd photo down that shows pretty deep damage to his tail, but the skin is so much pinker and healthy looking :D

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. Duh...I meant to put up the before pic in this thread too.

He is pooing ok, although the ones a I see are a little squishy...ie the ones I "receive" lol. Just gonna check the cage for normal ones. Will ask vet about it.

I have not tried to do anything with the scab on his tail...an not sure how deep it is. But again will ask the vet if I should try lever it off. What do people think?

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh and I also pleased to announce that he has put on 2 grams in the last two days!! He is now 36gs.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thanks everyone. Duh...I meant to put up the before pic in this thread too.

He is pooing ok, although the ones a I see are a little squishy...ie the ones I "receive" lol. Just gonna check the cage for normal ones. Will ask vet about it.

I have not tried to do anything with the scab on his tail...an not sure how deep it is. But again will ask the vet if I should try lever it off. What do people think?
I think scabs are there for a reason - it's Nature's bandage, and will stop infection getting in, so I'd leave it as long as you can. That's my opinion, but the vet might know different ;)

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like that!! Thanks!!

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
With abcesses and the like you need to remove the scab so the skin can dry out, however with injuries I would leave it, I would ask the vets advice on that though, as mices4 said they are there for a reason. I would take a before picture with you to the vets, if you get another vet who hasnt seen him yet, you might find they are shocked by his injuries without realising how much hes improved in a really short time. Looking at his face he looks so much brighter and more relaxed. Youve done so well with him, you should be proud hun :)

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With abcesses and the like you need to remove the scab so the skin can dry out, however with injuries I would leave it, I would ask the vets advice on that though, as mices4 said they are there for a reason. I would take a before picture with you to the vets, if you get another vet who hasnt seen him yet, you might find they are shocked by his injuries without realising how much hes improved in a really short time. Looking at his face he looks so much brighter and more relaxed. Youve done so well with him, you should be proud hun :)
The appt was at 9:30...so didn't get your advice till now! It is a new surgery and I think the only vet there is the one who owns it....she is also a small animal vet of 25 years.....I am just relieved I have found a vet who knows even likes small animals!! And who loves my little man too....even vets can get squeamish around small animals!!

She is shocked by how much improvement he has made...she said it is half the size it was!! I think she is right...certainly not far off....and it was looking particularly good today :)

I asked about the scabby bits, and she said to leave it...so now I am confused! She said to ease them off would just cause more sore bits. She said he will probably take them off himself or just drop off.

I asked about his tail, she said that he moves it fine and so seems to have good circulation, so she is positive about it. The scab looks like it only surface, and is starting to peel off already...slightly.

I am proud of him!

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
Thats amazing news, I would leave the scabs too hun, I have removed them when its an abcess but I left Jiggys and Seudags and they healed well underneath the the scabs. As far as the tail goes its tricky, Jiggys tail wasnt that badly damaged but Zany Toon took one look at it and knew that he would loose part of it, apparently they need very little damage to their tails to loose them as the blood supply to them isnt great, but they cope well with the loss. Jiggys tail wasnt cold and he was moving it as well. I bet you breathed a sigh of relief when you got the news :D

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Aawww yay that you got good news :D
He'll be fully healed before you know it.
Lets hope :)

Thats amazing news, I would leave the scabs too hun, I have removed them when its an abcess but I left Jiggys and Seudags and they healed well underneath the the scabs. As far as the tail goes its tricky, Jiggys tail wasnt that badly damaged but Zany Toon took one look at it and knew that he would loose part of it, apparently they need very little damage to their tails to loose them as the blood supply to them isnt great, but they cope well with the loss. Jiggys tail wasnt cold and he was moving it as well. I bet you breathed a sigh of relief when you got the news :D
Oh no and it's right up at the top of his tail...he could lose it all!! Bless him!! I hope not!

But I did....it was so nice to see her face actually...she looked genuinely shocked and relieved herself! Her partner was there too...he is not a vet but part owner...and he was cooing over him...though he asked me if I had a cage for Nicholas at home....well duh!! No I have spent £40 on vets for him up to now...and coming back next week, and will be getting more anti-bs etc when I have run out.....but noooooo I am keeping him in a carrier!

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
I had a vet give me a lecture once to tell me I had too many mice in too small a cage, I let him rant before I explained that the small cage was just a carrier that they went to the vets in :lol:

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had a vet give me a lecture once to tell me I had too many mice in too small a cage, I let him rant before I explained that the small cage was just a carrier that they went to the vets in :lol:
Haha!! I suppose I should be pleased that they care, though obviously when you're at the receiving end of this stuff you can end up feeling somewhat put out!

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Aww niki what a great job your doing with Nicholas.
Just think back to when you got this little man and the state he was in and now look at him! He looks bright and alert in those pics and such a handsome lil man.
As others have said leave his scabby area so that he can heal naturally.

I love a happy ending.

Give him a little kiss from me x

·
Registered
519 Posts
Argh I've had that too, I use a mini duna as my carrier and the receptionist went and was whispering to the vet....when I went in for my appointment the vet said the receptionist had pointed out to her that my mice were in a very unsuitable cage!

I felt like going home, putting the mice in their Hamster Heaven full of toys and things and lugging that back to the vets and just sitting in the waiting room to see what they said!!

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Argh I've had that too, I use a mini duna as my carrier and the receptionist went and was whispering to the vet....when I went in for my appointment the vet said the receptionist had pointed out to her that my mice were in a very unsuitable cage!

I felt like going home, putting the mice in their Hamster Heaven full of toys and things and lugging that back to the vets and just sitting in the waiting room to see what they said!!
Haha well I think this is the thing...people put mice in small cages so can often just bring the whole thing to the vets. So a decent sized carrier might seem like an unsuitable cage I guess. Still...I have spent £40 on vet bills so far, and am sure it will be another £20 at least more...I think that is proof in itself that I care...and so probably have a good cage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok, i write this for my friend, she was the one who put up the post for him. We have read some of the other post about him and would like to correct some wrong information. 1, she got him from the pet store about 3 days before she put the ad up so any bug must have come with him from the shop despite the fact the other two have been checked and are completley fine. 2, when we realised he was hurt we took him to kass's who is training to be a veterinary nurse. She told us he was male and told us not to mess with the injury and avoid handling and he would clean himself up. She never mentioned anything about parasites. 3, she gave nc a small glass tank to keep him in so he was never placed in with other males or back with the females so he wasn't still in with the females when the lady came to collect him. 4, i saw the post where she did mention the injuries before anything final was decided. 5, the 2 females were taken to the vets this friday and they are both female and none of them are pregnant. She is quite upset about all this as she really did try to do what is best for him. Ok, i dont think this is important but she insists i mention he did have a name that she passed onto the lady who picked him up. Anyway she would like to say thank you for being really nice to him and giving him a good home. Thank you again, ds x

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, i write this for my friend, she was the one who put up the post for him. We have read some of the other post about him and would like to correct some wrong information. 1, she got him from the pet store about 3 days before she put the ad up so any bug must have come with him from the shop despite the fact the other two have been checked and are completley fine. 2, when we realised he was hurt we took him to kass's who is training to be a veterinary nurse. She told us he was male and told us not to mess with the injury and avoid handling and he would clean himself up. She never mentioned anything about parasites. 3, she gave nc a small glass tank to keep him in so he was never placed in with other males or back with the females so he wasn't still in with the females when the lady came to collect him. 4, i saw the post where she did mention the injuries before anything final was decided. 5, the 2 females were taken to the vets this friday and they are both female and none of them are pregnant. She is quite upset about all this as she really did try to do what is best for him. Ok, i dont think this is important but she insists i mention he did have a name that she passed onto the lady who picked him up. Anyway she would like to say thank you for being really nice to him and giving him a good home. Thank you again, ds x
Hi,

I appreciate you raising the concerns, though I would hav had more respect for your friend had she come on here to "clear her name" so to speak. I will take your points one at a time.

1) The mites will have come from his lowered immune system because of his injuries. I am not blaming her for the mites, but that they weren't even noticed.

2) With regards to kass...whoever/whatever that is...needs a LOT more training if they looked at the horrific injuries that Nicholas bore and didn't reccoment treatment!!!!!!!!! Not seeing the mites is not something I would have expected....although I did on the first bathing session.

3) I am aware of the conditions he was in when he was collected and if you read the pasts carefully I expressed my view on these conditions and was corrected.

4) Not sure what this means?

5) You cannot be sure about the pregnancies. Certainly one was showing symptoms, and you/she still has another approx 15/20 days left to be sure. Plus it seemed that she expressed a desire to breed her females, which made me cynical about the "mistake". Not to mention he is a FULLY grown boy with very large testiclels!!

I don't care if I am shouted at but she did not try and do what is best for this little lad! Doing her best would have seen him getting PROFESSIONAL treatment. The only two redeeming factors were that she put him up for adoption and in her favour he is a lovely, very hand tame boy. I would urge her to put any babies on here for adoption, for transport/home opportunities on here.

I have a right to be angry because he is now my gorgeous little man is suffering unneccessarily. Also people have gone to a lot of trouble, people who didn't need to (TDM) and yet his first owner didn't do as much. And I have coughed up £40 (not including petrol) and there is another £20 at least left. I will only apologise for my inital posts which were fuelled with anger and not looking in a reasoned way at this.

So what was Nicholas' previous name? If I like I might double barrel (if OH is OK with that :) )

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.