Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Nice tribute idea

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lozb, Nov 19, 2012.

1. lozb

lozb PetForums VIP

I was out at our local Reservoir with Baxter this afternoon - it's our favourite place in the world to go, and today I noticed a plaque screwed into a tree which had the following inscribed:

'Freeman. 2005 - 2012 A True Pal'

It took me a while to figure it was a dedication to a dog :eek: - you usually find these plaques on benches for people....

Thought it was a lovely thing to do, and, though it's not something I want to think about, one day, when Baxter isn't with us, I might do something similar...it being our favourite place.

Just thought I'd share it, anyone seen any others like it?

2. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I bet some jobsworth will come along and take it down, decide it doesn't have the right permissions.

I wonder if I could get one up for my Joshua.

3. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Not to a tree though I hope!!!

Last year I came across a collar and poem tied to a gate, I'm not known for being a softy but even I thought it as very touching :)

4. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

We have a footpath through our land and do have a memorial...just need to ask the owner, I am sure most will be fine :)

5. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

I think it is a fantastic idea and a great tribute - why should it be a ritual confined only to humans. :001_tt1:

6. Lil Doglets

Lil Doglets PetForums VIP

There's a special place where me, my mum and grandad go on this kind of family tradition walk a couple of times a year and last time we went there was a little grave up on this hill with some old chewed up toys, a little mat and a wooden stake with a dog tag nailed on :crying:
    It was really sad to see but also lovely as it's such a nice place there and that little dog was obviously much loved :(

7. MirandaA1

MirandaA1 PetForums Member

At the edge of Hyde Park in London there's a little lodge house, with a little garden. The garden is filled with gravestones, which I gather are for the Royal dogs from Queen Victoria's reign (it may be more Kings and Queens than that, I'm not sure!). If you stand on the little wall, and peer through the railings and the hedges, it's very emotional - lots of little stones, with birth and death dates, and their names. I wish I could remember some of the names now! Absolutely charming ... and sad.

8. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

In my local park we have a tree by a Buddhist temple where people write on ribbons and little tags notes about their passed loved ones. There are notes to family, pets, friends.

[​IMG]
    ribbon_tree_01 by semibad, on Flickr

9. lozb

lozb PetForums VIP

I hope that doesn't happen.... would be awful for the owner :(
    Would be nice for you for Joshua though. xxx
    The brass plaque thing is screwed to the tree - I'll take a pic next time I'm up there, I did worry about what if the tree gets taken down or blown down...
    Yeah, am sure most owners would be fine about it - long as it's not damaging, it's doing no harm.
    I agree! :)
    Awww... how sweet... :( but yes, much loved I'll bet.
    That does sound charming.... with a tinge of sadness of course.
    That's very nice too - love how there's different ways people remember & share their loved ones... x

10. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

Have you been inside Wandlebury and seen the little pet graveyard. It's so sweet and sad.

I think it's a lovely thing to do.

11. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

Completely off topic but is that picture of your house? I love the paint colour on the walls, I've been looking for something like that for our living room...:)

12. Labrador Laura

Labrador Laura PetForums VIP

On one of our walks someone has actually buried their dog, as your going around the lake and down a single path it's just on the side. You can clearly see where he's been buried and theres a wooden cross and a picture of the dog, Giant Schnauzer.

Can't say i would ever do that, tbh i don't even think it's allowed.
    But i've also seen a collar with a note and a wooden plaque whilst out walking, but again i don't think i'll do it due to heartless people stealing it or destroying it.

13. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

Bless, how lovely :) I do hope it stays there for many years to come.
    A friend of mine has similar plaques for 3 of her small furries on the wall in "their" room. Lovely personal touch, makes me smile when I see them as I petsit for her a lot and miss the little guys.

I love the collar idea too, I remember being brought to tears by your thread about your find, rona. I'd love to leave one of Scooter's collars and maybe a note on a stile in his favourite meadow. The land owner is a good friend and lets us use all of it instead of the footpath but I'd still worry about it being nicked...

#13 Thorne, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  14. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Why not to a tree?

15. MLB

MLB Guest

I was walking along the river a few months ago when I came across some flowers layed by the river side, along with a card and a wooden cross put in the ground. I decided to read the card. The card was from an owner to a young dog who had drowned in the river after falling in, saying how sorry she was and that she had let her dog down by not being able to get him out. Was really sad and made me cry reading it.

16. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

At the country park one of the tribute benches has had a new plaque put on with the dog's name and the message 'He loved it here' and a paw print icon.

17. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

Hehe, thank you yes that is my living room :) The paint is two shades of 'steel symphony' by Dulux

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice